Author Topic: SuperFX and SA-1 Games  (Read 8487 times)

aloram

SuperFX and SA-1 Games
« on: August 30, 2014, 02:21 AM »
Hi. Are there any updates on the progress of getting these games to work on the SD2SNES? Thanks.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
Re: SuperFX and SA-1 Games
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 03:56 AM »
Follow the official blog and/or status page for the latest information.

http://sd2snes.de/blog/status
http://sd2snes.de/blog/
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 12:20 PM »
Follow development on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sd2snes

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 05:44 AM »
Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to add a new enhancement chip from their "to do list"?

I just started following Everdrives about a week ago. I'm trying to see if I should wait or go ahead and buy one. I'm currently already busy with my Mega Drive, Saturn, and Dreamcast, so I'm in no rush to get my SNES gaming going.

Also, how much do you think the price increase will be?
Mega EverDrive x7, EverDrive-GB X7, SD2SNES Original, EZ Flash IV, R4i-SDHC

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:50 AM »
Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to add a new enhancement chip from their "to do list"?

I just started following Everdrives about a week ago. I'm trying to see if I should wait or go ahead and buy one. I'm currently already busy with my Mega Drive, Saturn, and Dreamcast, so I'm in no rush to get my SNES gaming going.

Your first and second questions are sort of related, so I'll answer them together.  First, there is no 'usually' when it comes to adding enhancement chips.  Ikari isn't physically adding anything to the PCB - he's programming binaries to replicate the featuresets of those chips.  In other words, he's creating software versions of those chips that can be downloaded to the SD card in order to expand the functionality of the cart as a whole.

The SD2SNES is pretty much finished, as-is.  Unless Ikari feels that there is a legitimate reason to redesign the board, it's going to stay the way it is - there won't be any price increase from him.  In fact, he's stated that the current revision is final.  There are a few enhancement chips that are just totally out of the question for the onboard FPGA, but they are used in a mere handful of games, and none of them are really anything of note.
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:55 AM »

Your first and second questions are sort of related, so I'll answer them together.  First, there is no 'usually' when it comes to adding enhancement chips.  Ikari isn't physically adding anything to the PCB - he's programming binaries to replicate the featuresets of those chips.  In other words, he's creating software versions of those chips that can be downloaded to the SD card in order to expand the functionality of the cart as a whole.

The SD2SNES is pretty much finished, as-is.  Unless Ikari feels that there is a legitimate reason to redesign the board, it's going to stay the way it is - there won't be any price increase from him.  In fact, he's stated that the current revision is final.  There are a few enhancement chips that are just totally out of the question for the onboard FPGA, but they are used in a mere handful of games, and none of them are really anything of note.
sorry. I'm a noob for these things. Let me get this straight. Say if a new enhancement chip feature were to be added, you wouldn't actually have to buy a new SD2SNES to get those features? You just have to update your SD card?

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:00 AM »
sorry. I'm a noob for these things. Let me get this straight. Say if a new enhancement chip feature were to be added, you wouldn't actually have to buy a new SD2SNES to get those features? You just have to update your SD card?
Correct. As it stands right now, software updates are all that are expected in the foreseeable future. Those software updates might include additional enhancement chip support, or they might not.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:06 AM »

Nothing to be sorry about whatsoever.  The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Correct. As it stands right now, software updates are all that are expected in the foreseeable future. Those software updates might include additional enhancement chip support, or they might not.
I just find that amazing. Can't wrap my head around how that is possible, but amazing nonetheless.

Nothing to be sorry about whatsoever.  The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.
Thanks man. I'll keep that in mind.