Author Topic: Mapper 163  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Goldstein

• View Profile
Mapper 163
« on: September 13, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Will it be supported anytime soon, if so where can i get the experimental mapper?

Offline MP2E

• Famicom Fiend
    • View Profile
Re: Mapper 163
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 03:55 PM »
I doubt it, the only listed games for this are the chinese pirates of Pokemon Yellow and Final Fantasy VII, which are both 2MB in size and therefore too large. The PCB in each of these games has 2 chips, a 1MB CHR ROM chip and a 1MB PRG ROM chip. The Everdrive N8 only has a 512kb CHR SRAM chip and 512kb PRG SRAM chip. So even if the mapper was supported we'd never be able to test it because the games will not fit.

I feel like I just had this conversation before.. Is this FastFourierTransform again?

It's simply not possible unless you solder your own SRAM chips on and reprogram the OS, or wait for another Everdrive.. But that may be quite some time.

I've also heard on nesdev that these Chinese carts have a bunch of garbage data and an inefficient text rendering system that wastes ROM space. Perhaps disassembling the game and fixing the text renderer, while porting to a better mapper could slim the game down to 1MB? It's difficult, but it's the only way the current Everdrive n8 will ever be able to run these games.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:30 PM »
Not gonna happen, unless a board revision is issued.

I've also heard on nesdev that these Chinese carts have a bunch of garbage data and an inefficient text rendering system that wastes ROM space. Perhaps disassembling the game and fixing the text renderer, while porting to a better mapper could slim the game down to 1MB? It's difficult, but it's the only way the current Everdrive n8 will ever be able to run these games.
Chinese characters are rendered in 4 color 16x16 fonts. unless they can be translated (with horrible quality RPGs with VERY bad music, who would want to?) and getting them to work on another mapper, they won't work no matter what. These crappy RPGs also are only made for cheap famiclones, and probably don't work on a real Famicom. Slimming the game down does absolutely nothing, if the game won't work on the real hardware.
Will it be supported anytime soon, if so where can i get the experimental mapper?
no and you can't. Mapper files are NOT distributed like Power Pak mappers and should NOT be, unless krikzz says so. 
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline LiquidNis

• LiquidNis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Why do you know it all?Can you expain everything for me?