Author Topic: TED has glitched graphics on my region modded PCE but works fine on my TG16  (Read 6288 times)

Offline segaboy7

• View Profile
So just curious, I am well aware that the TED can have issues on region modded white PCE's which mine is.  On it the card works but games look aweful and all glitched, I have tryed the card in both PCE and TG16 mode and no difference, it does however seem to work fine in my TG16.  So my question is, are the Glitched graphics a region mod issue, or am I dealing with something else?  The PCE is in a breifcase IFU system if that matters

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
There was a problem similar to what you're experiencing now. I think the way it was solved was by checking for and replacing bad capacitors in the console.

I have a stock PCE, and a PCE Duo and TG16 that's been region modded. All of the consoles work fine with my TED.

Another thing you could do is clean the connectors in the consoles themselves.

Try also another ROMSet. No-Intro ROMs are usually better.

Offline segaboy7

• View Profile
hmmm whats the best way to clean the console pins?  All my hucards work fine on the system, its just the TED thats giving me issues

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-Iydy7TMU for cleaning.

I've also mentioned it several times; Flash cards are fickle. Their power requirements at times exceed what normal games need to properly run.

That being said, a couple of things may be happening here. If the region mod the IC mod and is taking power from the 5V pin from the connector or a nearby capacitor, that may be cutting the voltage down just enough to cause those anomalies. In that case, you may want to get power direct from the 7805 power regulator from the right let (output).

Another thing is components going bad. A few bad caps may allow retail games to work, but may be hindering voltage for the flash card.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
IC mods or wire mods, does not matter, both may generate problems. With IC mod cart usually does not work at all, with wire usually working, but not stable. I would not use with modded system at all, you may damage cart bios during reflashing, after than you will write about your next problem in thread with name like "gray screen problem"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:47 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline segaboy7

• View Profile
yeah thats kinda what I was figured but I thought I would ask.  Is the region mod issues something that can be fixed in the future?

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Probably not.

I did my mod myself using ICs, and the TED works fine on mine. I've marathoned 1942 Kai and Bonk's Adventure and Revenge in one day no stops and had no problems with mine. It wouldn't hurt to look inside if you didn't do the mod yourself and look over the console for bad components, at least.

Worse comes to worse, remove the mod and call it a day.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
yeah thats kinda what I was figured but I thought I would ask.  Is the region mod issues something that can be fixed in the future?
Mod should be fixed, not cart.
if ic mod, then ic buffer should work in both directions. some ic mods make cart read only cuz they can not change data bus direction. Also buffer should not be slow. May be extra power supply will be need also

if wire mod, then wires should be as short as it possible.

But still no any warranties of stable work

Offline ApolloBoy

• View Profile
With IC mod cart usually does not work at all, with wire usually working, but not stable.
Are you sure you've tried the Obey chip? I have it in both my Duo-R and TurboExpress, and not once have I ever had issues with it and the TED. It's based around a 74CBT3383 bus exchanger as opposed to two 4551s like the older IC-based mods.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
why region mod a pc engine? you talk about the usa model? i have a jap duoR, it is useless to mod mine correct? thanks

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
why region mod a pc engine? you talk about the usa model? i have a jap duoR, it is useless to mod mine correct? thanks

If you have/plan on getting a TED and are not collecting HuCards, then yeah, it's not needed.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
yes, perfect thx

Offline sdekaar

• View Profile