Author Topic: Neo Geo Cart Idea...  (Read 24832 times)

Offline RetroRepair

• View Profile
Re: Neo Geo Cart Idea...
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 02:30 PM »
To be honest, I highly doubt it'd be hard to make a nice multi cart out of the existing 161 in 1 cart itself.

The roms are just large flash memory ICs which, so long as they haven't had the write disable bit set, can be reflashed. If they can't they are just off the shelf roms anyway.

The carts don't actually seem much more than a regular MVS cart bootleg just with custom ICs to handle all the data manipulation. There's space for more roms and I'd bet it'd be pretty simple to hack the menu to add/remove roms too.

There might possibly be encryption on them but probably not.

So with a bit of time and effort, a proper multicart could in theory be made out of them with no hacks and pretty much the whole official neo geo library on there.

Offline Enzo1960

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 07:56 AM »
I'm thinking to buy a multicart for MVS.
But, as know, not all games are included, some games are present in a multicart compilation, others in one othet multicard, others, for mysteriouses reasons, in none (Magician Lord for example).
My question is: Someone has tried to open one of this multicard and investigate if it is possible to socket eproms and to reprogram, reburn it, so to insert missing games?

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 04:31 PM »
i'm assuming there is no technical reason why all games were not included on the multi carts. i expect the people who were making and selling these multi carts figured if you give everything ll on one cart then people wont need to buy again so they spread the games over various multi carts and added loads of dupes to each cart to pad the numbers out. and then there are probably rare games which were not included on any multi cart out there.
 i would give up emulating this system and buy a console and multi cart right away if there was a cart which contained every game or even a flash cart would be cool.

Online Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 05:36 PM »
How come these multi-game cartridges are allowed to be sold? I mean, it's a breach of copyright, surely, so how do the companies get away with it, did the company who own the rights to the Neo Geo games go bankrupt and so there's no one left to sue the makers of the multi-game cartridges, or what?

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 06:26 PM »
How come these multi-game cartridges are allowed to be sold? I mean, it's a breach of copyright, surely, so how do the companies get away with it, did the company who own the rights to the Neo Geo games go bankrupt and so there's no one left to sue the makers of the multi-game cartridges, or what?
"From China"

They dont give a toss about copyright over there
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Online Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 09:01 PM »
"From China"

They dont give a toss about copyright over there

I see.  It's just that you don't see, for example, pirate N64 cartridges with lots of games on one cartridge, or an Atari 2600 cartridge with all games on, etc. Or maybe they exist, but in much less numbers, as only Neo Geo gamers are really willing to pay such a high price, so the N64/2600/SNES/Megadrive/etc multi-game cartridges are so rare that they aren't commonly talked about on the 'net.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Hacking/reburning the eproms has been discussed elsewhere though nothing ever came from it:
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=266472

However, Darksoft is is the planning stages of an MVS/AES flash cart similar to his ST-V and CPS-2 flash carts. Last estimated price stated by Darksoft was about US $350, though I'd expect that to change:
http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/40-neogeo-aes-multigame-cartridge
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Neo Geo carts contained a lot more than just ROM chips.  There are reason it's frickin' huge even compared to NES carts. Bigger than VHS tapes as well.

Those carts contained extra chips to enhance gameplay and making a multicart means it needs to have all kids of extra chips and handled in a way that required chips are enabled for any selected ROM.  So there isn't a single multicart that has every single game released yet.

It's the same thing with SNES and many various custom chips that prevents Super ED from working fully and SD2SNES is more complicated to handle many of those custom chips.

Offline RetroDanâ„¢

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 03:42 AM »
Neo Geo carts contained a lot more than just ROM chips.  There are reason it's frickin' huge even compared to NES carts. Bigger than VHS tapes as well.

Those carts contained extra chips to enhance gameplay and making a multicart means it needs to have all kids of extra chips and handled in a way that required chips are enabled for any selected ROM.  So there isn't a single multicart that has every single game released yet.

It's the same thing with SNES and many various custom chips that prevents Super ED from working fully and SD2SNES is more complicated to handle many of those custom chips.

FPGA.  Just...FPGA, mate.

Offline quito787

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 02:14 PM »
My GBA everdrive is arriving soon ;D  I own all the everdrives krikzz has ever made and enjoy all of them.  The one everdrive I and several others in this forum are wishing Krikzz would make is one for the Neo Geo AES.  I own the multigame carts from China and even though the one with the largest number of games says 161 in 1, it's mostly just repeat hacked versions of a few games.  I'd really like to be able to add all the existing games in the library into an SD card, without repeats, including some of the unreleased ones that were later discovered.  Here's to hoping Krikzz will consider making one eventually!  :D

Offline Terabyte

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 11:11 AM »
I agree! I've literally purchased every high model of the Everdrives and a NeoGeo Everdrive will be a first day purchase regardless of cost. Please Krikkz I know you can do it! ::::(

Offline TotalMoop

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 07:11 PM »
and then all of a sudden... BAM
https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 05:41 AM »