Author Topic: Enhanced games on PAL SNES  (Read 5789 times)

Offline gladders

• View Profile
Enhanced games on PAL SNES
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Hey all.

Assuming that someday in the future all the enhancement chips the SNES was famous for get simulated in the SD2SNES, will this make every game work on both PAL and NTSC machines?

I am thinking here in particular about NTSC exclusives like Super Mario RPG and Super Street Fighter Alpha, which apparently can't work on PAL machines even if they've been 60Hz modded...right?

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
Re: Enhanced games on PAL SNES
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Hey all.

Assuming that someday in the future all the enhancement chips the SNES was famous for get simulated in the SD2SNES, will this make every game work on both PAL and NTSC machines?

Yes it should be ...

I am thinking here in particular about NTSC exclusives like Super Mario RPG and Super Street Fighter Alpha, which apparently can't work on PAL machines even if they've been 60Hz modded...right??

The first switching mod for pal snes (2 ppu) wasn't working with SA1 games but there were later , another mod called "ultimate Switch" that is working with those games
http://www.ffviman.fr/switch-snes/dezonage-vers-dezonage-ultime.html

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:49 PM »
wouldn't installing a SuperCIC work better? (no holes/switches)

Offline gladders

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:30 PM »

Is that what comes built into an SD2SNES or a Super Everdrive?

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:37 PM »

Is that what comes built into an SD2SNES or a Super Everdrive?

No.  A SuperCIC is a PIC microcontroller CIC replacement on the SNES itself that allows out-of-region games (from NTSC/NTSC-J to PAL and vice-versa) to be played on opposing hardware.  The SD2SNES is compatible with the SuperCIC, but it does not perform in quite the same way.  It gets around region checks by soft patching out-of-region games.
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:28 PM »

The super cic or not isn't really the bottom line , i was talking about the mod itself (soldering point et c..) important to get or not sa1 games working , after that , using super cic or switch , choose your flavour ..... ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:30 PM by GreatFunky »

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 07:40 PM »

The super cic or not isn't really the bottom line , i was talking about the mod itself (soldering point et c..) important to get or not sa1 games working , after that , using super cic or switch , choose your flavour ..... ;)

I don't think there's any real way of knowing for sure, but I think that the physical mod will one day be irrelevant.  Mario RPG isn't supported yet by the SD2SNES, and nobody has made a decompressed hack of Street Fighter 2 Alpha yet, but seeing as PAL-exclusive games like Terranigma are currently region-softpatched by the SD2SNES, I have a really hard time imagining Ikari not doing anything comparable for those games...unless there is some sort of anti-piracy routine that relies on the region always being NTSC.

I know that SMRPG occasionally does a check to see if it's running at 60Hz, but unless I am very much mistaken, there is probably a software way to beat this, or will be someday.  I can easily imagine Ikari adding a SMRPG-exclusive routine that intercepts that call and always returns a 60Hz value.
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.