Author Topic: Any new news on Mario 64 Star Road or Goldfinger?  (Read 7799 times)

Offline BolinCaker

• View Profile
    • CakerBaby
Any new news on Mario 64 Star Road or Goldfinger?
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Were they able to figure out how to make Star Road work and is goldfinger gonna be done soon? Also is there any new maps for goldeneye or any new rare roms get released? I haven't been on here in a while so what's new? Any cool new backgrounds or maybe sticker art for the everdrive cart?

NINTENDO POWER MF

Offline Cybertronic

• View Profile
Re: Any new news on Mario 64 Star Road or Goldfinger?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Were they able to figure out how to make Star Road work and is goldfinger gonna be done soon? Also is there any new maps for goldeneye or any new rare roms get released? I haven't been on here in a while so what's new? Any cool new backgrounds or maybe sticker art for the everdrive cart?

NINTENDO POWER MF

These will be your best resources:

007: (Not developed or updated by this community, the actual creators are your best bet on status info)

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/

and

http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldfinger-64

Mario 64 Hacks: (Not Supported / Not Compatible)

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=999.0#msg10020

and

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?32619-EverDrive-64&p=558980&viewfull=1#post558980

Custom Everdrive Labels

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?27418-Everdrive-cover-design/page5

and

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=68.0

or

https://www.google.com/imghp
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:06 PM by Cybertronic »

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:58 PM »
Goldfinger 64 Progress is Classified... ;) 8)

Just be content in the knowlage we are working very hard on the project.

We dont want to release some hashed botch job. We are gunning for a real Quality Game, personally Im looking to out do even PD in some respects (Obviously lighting and other enhancements in PD wont be added, thats impossible... prahaps you could request a GoldfingerX in the near future, that really would be awsome)

Public information will be available on Sshooters Forever forum and GoldenEye Vault

Trev

P.S. Taking FrameBuffer Captures would be awsome, dont think its possible though.
If it were it would need some button combi... possible a button combi and press reset (to save to SD)

Talking of button combis... is it possible to make a combi that resets the N64?
e.g.
L+R+Start re-callibrates the stick
Start at boot loads mempak

so, how about L+R+A+B = reset?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:43 AM by Trevor »

Offline Fmamarksman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I'm not sure what this Goldfinger project is. looks cool.
"Father of the four winds fill my sails, cross the sea of years. With no provision, but an open face along the straits of fear."

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:31 PM »
Those screenshots look great! Is that on the Perfect Dark, or Goldeneye engine?

I'm not sure what this Goldfinger project is. looks cool.

It's a fan modding project, that involves some Perfect Dark/Goldeneye fans basically creating a whole new game using either the Goldeneye or Perfect Dark engine (I don't know which).

Goldeneye X (which is currently out in beta form, and is very good) is a similar project, that will (when it's done) put the Goldeneye game into Perfect Dark's engine, thereby allowing Goldeneye to use the enhancements that the Perfect Dark engine has over Goldeneye, such as weather support, speech, better A.I. for enemies, bots in multiplayer, no two or three player limits in any multiplayer map, etc. So far the multiplayer is almost complete (and it's fantastic!), and the authors are working on the single player now (so far you can only walk around the levels in the single player game, there are no enemies or objectives etc in the current release version (0.5ci) but the multiplayer is mostly complete.

Goldfinger 64 is actually even more ambitious, as it's authors are creating whole new levels and objectives, making a game based on the movie Goldfinger! Unlike Goldeneye X, Goldfinger 64 doesn't have a public beta to download, and we don't know when it will finally be released (though I'd rather wait five years for a great game to be released than have a mediocre one released tomorrow, so waiting isn't a problem), but the movie Goldfinger was released fifty years ago this year, so I imagine that Goldfinger 64's authors are hoping to release it by the end of this year!

No doubt it will be fantastic when it does come out.  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline BolinCaker

• View Profile
    • CakerBaby
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 12:22 AM »
Goldfinger 64 Progress is Classified... ;) 8)

Just be content in the knowlage we are working very hard on the project.

We dont want to release some hashed botch job. We are gunning for a real Quality Game, personally Im looking to out do even PD in some respects (Obviously lighting and other enhancements in PD wont be added, thats impossible... prahaps you could request a GoldfingerX in the near future, that really would be awsome)

Public information will be available on Sshooters Forever forum and GoldenEye Vault

Trev

P.S. Taking FrameBuffer Captures would be awsome, dont think its possible though.
If it were it would need some button combi... possible a button combi and press reset (to save to SD)

Talking of button combis... is it possible to make a combi that resets the N64?
e.g.
L+R+Start re-callibrates the stick
Start at boot loads mempak

so, how about L+R+A+B = reset?

So not to be impatient or anything. But this was the last update I've had on Goldfinger. I was just wondering if there's any new news?   :o

Offline aterraformer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 10:50 AM »
The SM64 community at SMWCentral mostly wants to make no effort and just produce more broken games which should mean more work in the future but really it will just mean, like SMW, a bunch of old and broken hacks that will never be fixed besides the rare exception.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 03:57 PM »
The SM64 community at SMWCentral mostly wants to make no effort and just produce more broken games which should mean more work in the future but really it will just mean, like SMW, a bunch of old and broken hacks that will never be fixed besides the rare exception.

That's ridiculous. I mean, what's the point of making N64 games/mods that won't work on a real N64? And if you don't care about it working on a real N64, and instead are happy to have it only running on emulators, then why not forget the emulator (and it's huge limitations) and just make the game/mod for the PC, which would give you exponentially more CPU, GPU, and memory capacity? It would make much more sense for someone to rip Super Mario 64's graphics, level layouts, game mechanics, etc, and create a PC based version, that modders could mod as they pleased.

Granted, this would be a large amount of work, but considering how dedicated and skilled some modders are, it seems reasonable to assume that this would be plausible, and once done, it's done forever, and could lead to some astounding mods - especially since the PC is pretty poor as regards 3D platform games.

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:34 PM »

That's ridiculous. I mean, what's the point of making N64 games/mods that won't work on a real N64? And if you don't care about it working on a real N64, and instead are happy to have it only running on emulators, then why not forget the emulator (and it's huge limitations) and just make the game/mod for the PC, which would give you exponentially more CPU, GPU, and memory capacity? It would make much more sense for someone to rip Super Mario 64's graphics, level layouts, game mechanics, etc, and create a PC based version, that modders could mod as they pleased.

Granted, this would be a large amount of work, but considering how dedicated and skilled some modders are, it seems reasonable to assume that this would be plausible, and once done, it's done forever, and could lead to some astounding mods - especially since the PC is pretty poor as regards 3D platform games.

Agreed. Honestly I think its an e-peen contest to see who can come up with the most extensive romhack of SM64 (and SMW to some extent) regardless if it runs on a flash cart or not. This is further compounded by n64 emulation not being all that great in comparing it to more stable emus, like say higan for example, so sm64 hacks already run on imperfect emus and thats not even taking into account the bugs in the hacks themselves. No worries though...Plenty of n64 official games and mario 64 clone-type games to play instead.

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Yeah, sorry, its still classified.

Being classified its dificult to make news about it, that said, questioning its progress at least allows us to give an answer.

Ive had car problems lately and had to put GF off a little, but the Team is still working on it.

I was in the middle of re-doing the guns to make better use of lighting. Ive also been doing other lighting tests comparing resource useage to maximise quality and performance.

I cant comment any more than that.

Trev
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:55 PM by Trevor »

Offline BolinCaker

• View Profile
    • CakerBaby
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 11:45 PM »
Yeah, sorry, its still classified.

Being classified its dificult to make news about it, that said, questioning its progress at least allows us to give an answer.

Ive had car problems lately and had to put GF off a little, but the Team is still working on it.

I was in the middle of re-doing the guns to make better use of lighting. Ive also been doing other lighting tests comparing resource useage to maximise quality and performance.

I cant comment any more than that.

Trev

Well that was about 13 months ago. Can you comment any more now? :D