Author Topic: legend of zelda with msu chip support with fmv and cd audio.  (Read 38597 times)

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
legend of zelda with msu chip support with fmv and cd audio.
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:32 PM »
has anyone tried this yet. http://www.zeldix.net/t453-enable-msu-streaming-music i came across this news on http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-nintendo-classic-legend-of-zelda-link-to-the-past-gets-unofficial-cd-audio-a-fmv-video-update.html
 was wondering if anyone had tried it out, it seems to have sd2snes support.

Offline babj311

• View Profile
Re: legend of zelda with msu chip support with fmv and cd audio.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I have but could not get it to work. Caused my SD2SNES to not even load. Not sure what I did wrong. The supplied readme isnt all that great.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:56 AM »
shame. i hate it when the info is not exactly clear enough. i have not tried this yet but ity does sound interesting. who would have thought legend of zelda a link to the past could be improved. great game.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 05:13 AM »
If you read the first link (zeldaix.net one), theretromancer from this very forum got it working somehow. Maybe he can chime in if he sees this post, otherwise follow what the other forum is saying and see if that helps you get it running. Sounds awesome though.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 06:33 AM »
I had no problems getting it to work on my SD2SNES. No, I don't recall where I got my ROM, though I assume it's from an older Good Set.

NOTE: The original readme file and several other people have mentioned that this ROM needs to be expanded to at least 1.5 MB first in order for the patches to work. I did not do this and everything seems to work for me. However, I would recommended doing this at least if you have issues with the steps below. You can expand the ROM using Lunar Expand or similar tool.

Steps I took to get this to work on my SD2SNES:

Here's what I did:
  • Download all three archives linked on the YouTube video (zelda3_msu.zip, A Link to the Past MSU Audio Complete.rar, and MSU Zelda Opening Intro and Audio.rar)
  • Rename your ROM file to alttp_msu.sfc
  • Extract zelda3_msu.zip somewhere (desktop, etc)
  • Navigate to the msu_alttp folder to find the patch (alttp_msu.ips)
  • Apply this patch to your ROM file using a tool such as Lunar IPS (for Win) or MultiPatch (for Mac)
  • Go back one folder and then navigate to the 'optional_video' folder to find the intro video patch (optional_video.ips)
  • Apply this patch to your ROM file using a tool such as Lunar IPS (for Win) or MultiPatch (for Mac)
  • Put your patched ROM on your SD card in a folder someplace (I named mine 'MSU Zelda' like the readme said to, though this probably doesn't matter)
  • Extract all of the 'A Link to the Past MSU Audio Complete.rar' contents to this folder
  • Extract all of the 'MSU Zelda Opening Intro and Audio.rar' contents to this folder
  • Put the SD card in your SD2SNES and play!
I've attached a screenshot of folder contents after all's said and done. Note that I used the 'alttp_msu.msu' from the 'MSU Zelda Opening Intro and Audio.rar' archive, not the one from 'msu_alttp'. This seems to work fine, so I assume it's correct. I did this since the one in 'msu_alttp' was 0KB whereas the one from the RAR was like 200MB.

Video showing it running on my SD2SNES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbwWpEAYoVM

You'll probably have to turn your volume up a bit to really hear much. My phone isn't all that great at recording this old TV, so the colors get washed out, too. I tried recording it again with a bit of back lighting, but that didn't help, so i just put this one up there. Anyway, I play the standard ROM first, then the enhanced one so you can see/hear the differences.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:35 PM by Mattroid »
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Link to you full rom folder please? What a mess to do!
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 01:56 PM »
yep,files are down,its not difficult to patch it,but without the files its stops.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 03:07 PM »
thanks Mattroid for the info :)

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Link to you full rom folder please? What a mess to do!
Seriously? It's not that bad. The only reason it's 11 steps is because I included every little step, even those that should be obvious. The longest part of this is downloading the files. After that, it's easy. In a more simple list of steps:

1. Rename your rom to alttp_msu.sfc
2. Apply both patches to your rom
3. Put this patched rom in a folder on your SD card along with the contents of both rar files

Anyway, I don't have the full set of files with me right now, and I won't be distributing the rom directly, sorry.

yep,files are down,its not difficult to patch it,but without the files its stops.
Links are all working for me as of right now.

Main Patch: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/zelda3_msu.zip
Intro Video/Audio Patch: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ot5lzt4zl141wsh/MSU+Zelda+Opening+Intro+and+Audio.rar
Full Soundtrack: http://www.mediafire.com/download/avzmudtqd3alvc0/A+Link+to+the+Past+MSU+Audio+Complete.rar

thanks Mattroid for the info :)
You're welcome!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:56 PM by Mattroid »
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 06:43 PM »
gona test it in a moment on my sd2snes,thx for the links

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 06:50 PM »
its working here,bur screen background sometimes flashing fast when playing intro movie.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 07:08 PM »
its working here,bur screen background sometimes flashing fast when playing intro movie.
The only thing I noticed was some graphical issues in the video, but I didn't pay enough attention to see if it happens at the same point in the video each time (indicating that perhaps it's the video itself), or if it's random. Either way, it played very well, and I'm only using a 4GB Class 4 SD card. In contrast, the Road Blaster port would run much better on a faster card, though it's still playable on mine.

One thing I did notice was that if I reset the game, the music that was playing when I hit reset continues to play briefly after the game starts back up. I haven't tried it a second time to see if that's consistent or not or if it causes any other issues after reset.

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 07:14 PM »
played till now,plays fine,but the game is so much better with msu,hope more games follow,but first they have to polish this so that everything plays and hear smooth.

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 08:03 PM »
awesome! will try it later!
what is the base rom? the US rom of Zelda?

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 08:39 PM »
awesome! will try it later!
what is the base rom? the US rom of Zelda?
That's what I used.