Author Topic: SD2SNES or Super Everdrive  (Read 21696 times)

Offline ZM88

• View Profile
SD2SNES or Super Everdrive
« on: December 14, 2012, 01:42 AM »
Currently, I'm considering a purchase of one of these fine flashcarts but, as with my previous purchase, I have some questions:

First do either of these carts play the following games:

Mega Man 7
Super Metroid
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time
Super Castlevania 4
Super Punchout
Chrono Trigger
Hagane: The Final Conflict
Wild Guns
Run Saber

I ask to save myself the trouble and FYI I have an NTSC console. Way I see it, no point buying these super expensive games when you can just flashcart them.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
Re: SD2SNES or Super Everdrive
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:54 AM »
I recently got the SD2SNES and it plays Mega Man 7, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania 4, Run Saber and Chrono Trigger. I haven't tried the others but I'm pretty sure they'll work. I don't think any of those use any special chips (Chrono Trigger maybe? Not sure) so they should work on the Super Everdrive as well.

It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. If you want to spend as little as possible, get a Super Everdrive. If you're willing to spend more, get a SD2SNES, you won't regret it.

Offline ZM88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:58 AM »
On the SD2SNES, how is the game loading? And saving games? Is it like the mega everdrive where you have to hit the reset button?

As for cost, it's not an issue(holiday pay FTW).

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:05 AM »
The game loading is like the Mega Everdrive, perhaps a bit faster even. In other words: near instant. Game saves are placed in the same directory as the game ROMS themselves (you don't see them in the menu screen, however). You can access them by putting the SD card in your computer. The Mega Everdrive hides the save files and you cannot access them from a computer or at least I can't (there's actually TWO MEGA folders). Reset will reset the game. To get back to the SD2SNES menu you must power cycle the console.

Offline ZM88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 05:54 AM »
Any chance you could check the other games for me? Sure its holiday money but I'd rather be on the safe side. Especially Super Punchout!

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 06:34 AM »
OK you'll have to give me several hours, but I'm confident they'll work.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:54 AM »
OK I tried them all except Wild Guns (which I forgot about and I probably don't even have on the card) and they work. Super Punch-Out works well.

Offline ZM88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Thank you, will get to ordering when the holiday money comes in(past new years day I reckon).

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:08 AM »
dont ya jus luv reds flash cart collection :D, i have nothin to contribute to this thread cos im a lonely super ufo user :( lol but just lookin at the specs for sd2snes it kills other flash carts hands down...
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 03:04 PM »
The Mega Everdrive hides the save files and you cannot access them from a computer or at least I can't (there's actually TWO MEGA folders).
Actually mega-ed puts save files in /MEGA/SAVE/ folder, so you have access to save files on computer

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 12:17 AM »
I can't. I see the MEGA folder and the SAVE folder but there's nothing in there (this is the MEGA folder that has the OS in it). I've downloaded saves for various games and dropped them in there but they go unrecognized. There is a SNAP folder that has snapshots I have saved that I can access.  When I plug the card into the Mega Everdrive, there are TWO Mega folders. I think that second, hidden one is where my games are being saved. I cannot access it except from the Mega Everdrive itself. I should probably reformat the SD card.

Offline ZM88

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Ah, hyper crap. Out of stock everywhere with most sites saying wait till Feb/March. Is it getting a revision or something.

Offline Polaventris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 12:51 PM »
No need to touch the power button on SD2SNES. Just press reset for few seconds to get back to the roms menu.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Interesting. I'll give that a try! Maybe a similar method could be used for the Mega Everdrive to fix games like X-men where reset needs to be pressed to beat the game.

Offline pckid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:37 AM »
I can't. I see the MEGA folder and the SAVE folder but there's nothing in there (this is the MEGA folder that has the OS in it). I've downloaded saves for various games and dropped them in there but they go unrecognized. There is a SNAP folder that has snapshots I have saved that I can access.  When I plug the card into the Mega Everdrive, there are TWO Mega folders. I think that second, hidden one is where my games are being saved. I cannot access it except from the Mega Everdrive itself. I should probably reformat the SD card.

Exact , there are two directory MEGA, and window doesn't accept it.  And may be other os is the same. i think it's a error to create two directory with the same name,
and it was more simple to put save in the root mega directory.