Author Topic: Super Everdrive upgrade DSP-1  (Read 23789 times)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
Super Everdrive upgrade DSP-1
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:16 PM »
Hello, i bought the standard Super Everdrive with no Dsp-1 chip installed.

Is it possible to upgrade the Super Everdrive with a Dsp-1 chip ? and how i will do it ^^ and what do i need for it.

greetings Daniel

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
Re: Super Everdrive upgrade DSP-1
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 01:35 AM »
Basically you need to get a real SNES game that has the chip (Pilotwings or Mario Kart), desolder the chip and then solder it into the Super Everdrive PCB,

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 02:08 AM »
you also need a  74HCU04 and the clock generator from the donor card... you can find more info here: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?31826-snes-everdrive-dsp1-assistance

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:16 AM »
AHHHH DON'T DISMANTLE MARIO KART FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN

So, like keropi said already, you need 3 components. A DSP-1 Chip, a 74HCU04 chip and a clock generator.
Go buy Ballz3D. I picked up a copy on eBay for around $5, including S&H. I can personally vouch for the fact that the Ballz3D cartridge contains all 3 of the components you need.
To my understanding, not all copies of Mario Kart have the 74HCU04 inside... I haven't taken apart any other DSP-1 SNES games, but you could gamble on a copy of Super Bases Loaded 2 or something :)

Another good article (with pics)
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?35788-How-I-got-my-DSP-1-installed-and-working
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:21 AM by Grambo »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 02:59 PM »
dismantle mario kart for the chips they common as muck on ebay, ballz 3D is near impossible to find...
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 03:04 PM »
i think ppl are CRAZY for dismantling a NES console just for a chip LOL i would never do that -_-

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Relax boys ^^ i found myself a good shitty copy of Ballz 3d , this game really suck balls  8)

So im just waitin for my nintendo screwdriver to open up the cartridge and get the serious shit done.

By the way i have the 1.6 revision is it really so easy as shown on this thread ? http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?35788-How-I-got-my-DSP-1-installed-and-working

Thanks for the help !

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Haha. I was really only semi-joking about the Mario Kart thing. Really, whatever is the best and most feasible way to accomplish your goal at the easiest convenience/least cost makes sense. If that involves ripping Mario Kart apart, well hey, I wouldn't blame anyone for that.

Relax boys ^^ i found myself a good shitty copy of Ballz 3d , this game really suck balls  8)

So im just waitin for my nintendo screwdriver to open up the cartridge and get the serious shit done.

By the way i have the 1.6 revision is it really so easy as shown on this thread ? http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?35788-How-I-got-my-DSP-1-installed-and-working

Thanks for the help !
It really is that easy.
Notice how the DSP1 and 74HCU04 have a little semi-circle? That's the orientation notch. The white outlines on the Everdrive's PCB determine both the direction and what side of the PCB the corresponding chip goes on.
Stick DSP in the correct direction/side of pcb, solder. Stick in 74HCU04 the correct direction/side of pcb, solder. Stick clock generator in any direction/correct side of pcb, solder.
I've done it with my 1.6 cart and I didn't run into any problems. My one recommendation is to do the clock gen after the 74HCU04 since it's taller. It'll be easier to make it flush with the PCB that way. It's really not a big deal if you don't though.

As far as desoldering goes, the easiest and most convenient way if you don't care about the PCB at all (which is why you bought Ballz 3D ;)) is to just heat it up over a stove element (Electric or gas, both work fine. I've never tried an infrared).
Also, press hard with your security screwdriver to avoid stripping them. Those Nintendo security screws suck. A lot. I hate them.

I think I'm out of tips now. Good luck!

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:21 PM »
lol grambo, mario kart is a good game tho it is a shame that that game is probably the most disected cart on the planet at the moment :D

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 03:59 PM »
i received today the missing nintendo bit and i have done all the soldering as shown in the pictures ^^. The reward was to play mario kart and that without destroying a copy of Mario Kart. So for all who want to do this upgrade please buy a shity copy of suck my ballz 3d.

Mario Kart just work perfect on the Everdrive ^^ thanks a lot to all people.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Glad to hear and glad to help :)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 10:20 PM »
"please buy a shity copy of suck my ballz 3d" LOL legend!!!