Author Topic: "ERROR:63 SD IO error" sometimes when loading certain 32X games...  (Read 3750 times)

Offline adoblivione

• View Profile
Okay, so this is pretty weird, in that it seems to be intermittent.  I just now got Kolibri to run when I tried to load it to get the actual error number for this post.

I got my Everdrive-MD v3 in the mail yesterday and just loaded my ROM files onto the SD card tonight to take it for a spin.  I got the Deluxe Edition from SAG, so I can't be sure what kind of SD card they gave me, but I have to assume it's one that's been confirmed to be compatible with the EDMD.

I was able to load up all of the random Genesis ROMs I tried just fine, but the first 32X game I tried to play was Kolibri.  It gave me an SD IO Error.  So I tried Knuckles Chaotix... it gave me a black screen after loading, but no error message.  Fearing that I may have my 32X hooked up wrong, I put the actual cartridges in and they played fine, so that wasn't it.

Then I tried a couple of other 32X ROMs on the Everdrive, and Star Wars and Virtua Racing Deluxe worked fine.  Tempo gave me the black screen just like Knuckles Chaotix did.  I decided to post about it here, and like I mentioned above I loaded up Kolibri (the only one that gave me an actual error code) and it worked this time.  Reset my system and tried loading Knuckles Chaotix again and got that error message, so I can now confirm it's "ERROR:63 SD IO error".

Any idea what could be going on here?  I have my ROM files in their own folder in the root of the SD card, and they're further divided up into separate folders for each letter of the alphabet.  Any help or insight would be much appreciated.  :)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "ERROR:63 SD IO error" sometimes when loading certain 32X games...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Cart can not stable read SD card by some reasons, may be something wrong with 32x addon (even if normal games working fine), or problem with power supply. If you can write 32x games without 32x addon and then hook up addon and play them, then problem must be in 32x

Offline adoblivione

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Oh, that's interesting... I'll play around with it and try to figure out what's going on.  Thanks for the info!  :)

Offline adoblivione

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Well, this problem resolved itself for about a month or so, and then I started getting SD IO errors again.  It started to happen on my Super ED as well, which had been working just fine for months.  I'm going to dig up a new SD card and try that with each of the devices, just a bit concerned since these are the cards shipped out with the units by SAG and I trust them.

Is it at all possible that this error could also be caused by a bad connection between the system and the Everdrive?  Or possibly a power supply issue?  (The SNES is a mini, using what looks like an aftermarket adapter, and the Genesis is a Model 1 with Sega CD/32X attached, hooked up with a Sega Trio adapter from Retro Game Cave.)

EDIT: I see that you already mentioned it could be a problem with the power supply... I'll try hooking the Genesis up with the original adapters and see if that helps, will have to try to find an original SNES adapter too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:49 PM by adoblivione »

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 07:35 AM »
SD cards may have a spec they must follow, but not all SD cards are equal. It can be tricky supporting a bunch of different SD cards. Any time you have problems where an SD card is involved, my first thought is trying a different card.