Author Topic: 3DO- Panasonic FZ10 versus Goldstar  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Retrografx

• View Profile
3DO- Panasonic FZ10 versus Goldstar
« on: November 27, 2014, 04:36 PM »
I have both of 3DO- Panasonic FZ10 and Goldstar versions of the 3DO.

My question is which one should I keep. one is a top loader the other is front. the Panasonic seems like the top loader is cheap and the latch may easily break after frequent use, while the Goldstar opens and closes easily. I have heard of game compatibility issues with the Goldstar, but wonder with which games? The Goldstar seems like it is a higher quality, though reviews show the FZ10 is better. The Goldstar seems to load games a few seconds faster, but I haven't done extensive testing.

I have burnt many roms, and found that the ones that wont play on the Panasonic will play on the Goldstar, burning at several different speeds. the burnt roms at lower speeds play on the Goldstar fine and the ones at higher speeds play on the Panasonic fine.

I don't play it much, less than an hour per month. mostly just to test the roms I burn. I picked them both up from Goodwill a while ago at a bargain price. so which one would you keep?

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
Re: 3DO- Panasonic FZ10 versus Goldstar
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 04:52 PM »
I'll keep both. Definitely.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I'll keep both. Definitely.
Same here, but I'm a console collector.

If it came down to it, I'd probably keep the FZ-10 rather than the Goldstar one. Consensus on the intarwebs seem to lean that way as well, quoting that the reliability of the laser on the Goldstar one is hit and miss.

I personally have an FZ-10, and it's been a beast at reading discs (pressed or burned).

Offline J-E

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:13 PM »
check which one reads CD-R and you should know which one you will keep ....  8)

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 03:53 PM »
This is something that could help you to choose :
http://3do-renovation.ru/USB_Host_for_FZ10.htm
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/3do-usb-adapter-panasonic-fz-10.html
I was going to say this and add that I'd keep one original and mod one of them with the USB adapter.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Well, AFAIK (i can't check for now), the mod is not a "destructive" one. At least, everything can be restored.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 04:25 PM »
if compatibility for the usb drive replacement was 100% with all games i would gladly sacrifice being able to play games from cds. what would be a pain is to change out the cd laser for the usb reader and find out that there are a few awkward games which don't work properly for reasons such as cd drive read timings and so on. in such cases owning 2 3do's would be the best option. personally i would not settle for any game incompatibility. if it works from cdr and don't work from usb reader then thats a major issue for me.

Offline crans

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 09:04 AM »
There are no issues with any game from 3do to usb only goldstar issues on originals or bad backup of original. the goldstar is crap at best and the new company LG also makes crap electronics.

I would also say keep bolth systems but i have the Fz-1 and FZ10 not looking for the goldstar to join the dust collectors.