Author Topic: How do you organize your games?  (Read 8541 times)

Offline XC-3730C

• View Profile
How do you organize your games?
« on: December 07, 2014, 11:45 PM »
Just curious how you guys organize your games?

Me, I went here:  http://nesguide.com/genre/

I used this page and literally put all games on this list in their own folders. I also added a separate folder for hacks, Japanese only, and English translations.

How about you guys?

Offline Fmamarksman

• View Profile
Re: How do you organize your games?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:02 AM »
EDFC
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
I
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
Favorites
"Father of the four winds fill my sails, cross the sea of years. With no provision, but an open face along the straits of fear."

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:35 AM »
I made folders with genre names:

Action (a general genre for action games I'm not sure what genre folder to put in and to make the Platform and Shooting folders less crowded)
Adventure
Classic (old arcade style games like Pacman)
Platform
Shooting
Fighting
RPG
Table (boardgames and all those mahjong and card games)
Simulation (mainly war and flight simulators)
Hacks
Unlicensed
ETC (genres that don't fit anywhere else)
And so on...

The games I've not sorted yet are in a folder called Unsorted. From time to time I go through it in the hunt for new games, or games I've simply forgotten to sort, try them out and put them in a fitting genre folder.
Every game that isn't in Unsorted also have their own parent folder for all versions of that game (with the Japanese title on the folder itself, if it's a game that had its title changed in other regions). I check Goodsets to tell what all versions of a game is called but I mainly use the no-intro sets in my Everdrives. I don't see a need to have games sorted after region since that is obvious by the file name.

There are problems sometimes though. Is Megaman platform games or shooting games?

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Alphabetical Order. Folders span four pages on the N8 with each folder having a maximum of 3 pages for quick searching. Organized with Misc. first, then Famicom...FDS...NES (Europe) then finally NES (USA). Its easier to actually show a pic so here goes...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/akxmedia/sets/72157649251144100/

I have my other Everdrives and SD2SNES set up in a similar way.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:18 AM by Aether Knight »

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:00 PM »
There's enough room for multiple copies, so I have them sorted by genre in one folder, and alphabetically in another. I also have separate folders for hacks, translations, VS system, FDS, etc, as well.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Pequexo_Nemo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Pues organizo mis juegos asi:

My games organized as follows:

En la carpeta de ROMS añado categorias de region y naturaleza de ROMS como puede ser los sin licencia, hacks, piratas, prototipos, testers, etc...

In the ROMS folder add category region and nature of ROMS such as the unlicensed, hacks, pirates, prototypes, testers, etc ...

Image2 by Pequexo_Nemo, on Flickr

Dentro de cada directorio principalmente en las de region se añaden subcarpetas con cada letra del abecedario.

Within each directory mainly in the sub region are added with each letter of the alphabet.

Image4 by Pequexo_Nemo, on Flickr

A veces no vale mucho la pena meter cada letra si no contamos con muchas ROMS pero superamos el limite que nos deja el Everdrive insertar entonces con dos subcarpetas asi para los FDS por ejemplo:

Sometimes there is so worth putting each letter unless we have many ROMS but we overcame the limit that leaves the Everdrive then insert two subfolders so for FDS for example:

Image6 by Pequexo_Nemo, on Flickr

Cuando son menos ROMS no es necesario las subcarpetas alfabeticas como me sucede en los prototipos y piratas.

When less ROMS is not necessary alphabetical subfolders as it happens on prototypes and pirates.

Image8 by Pequexo_Nemo, on Flickr

Pequeño video demostrativo (Originalmente fue para exponer un problema aqui con mi Everdrive N8 y que satisfactoriamente pude resolver)

Small demonstration video (originally was to expose a problem here with my Everdrive N8 and I could successfully solve)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDFHZ-3PqdM

Saludos desde México.

Greetings from Mexico.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:10 AM by Pequexo_Nemo »

Offline Jmbarnes101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:02 PM »
I like to keep mine as clean, simple, and minimal as possible, despise longs lists of stuff, so I have the following folders on the root directory:
EDFC
Europe/Australia - exclusive
FDS (Famicom Disk System) - A-G, H-Z
Games by Alphabetical - with every letter, and #, having a separate file
Games by Genre - Action, Adventure, SHMUPS, Sports, etc...
Homebrew/Protos/Hacks/Unlicensed - all four have their own separate folder; hacks has two folders
Instructions - I realize these aren't viewable via the NES (which would be awesome) but it's a nice place to keep them for reference
Japan - exclusives further sorted into English Translated and Japanese only and each has four folders each
Nintendo/Rare Developed - Easy way to play and access the very best stuff (minus a few third party things of course)
Russia/Asia - exclusives

I'm also dabbling with putting in a folder of top 25-50 games for quick access.

Lastly, I noticed people reference VS System and PC-10 on their lists. Are these games playable on the NES with just an Everdrive or is their something additional needed to do this?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:05 PM by Jmbarnes101 »

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 10:07 PM »
I like to keep mine as clean, simple, and minimal as possible, despise longs lists of stuff, so I have the following folders on the root directory:
EDFC
Europe/Australia - exclusive
FDS (Famicom Disk System) - A-G, H-Z
Games by Alphabetical - with every letter, and #, having a separate file
Games by Genre - Action, Adventure, SHMUPS, Sports, etc...
Homebrew/Protos/Hacks/Unlicensed - all four have their own separate folder; hacks has two folders
Instructions - I realize these aren't viewable via the NES (which would be awesome) but it's a nice place to keep them for reference
Japan - exclusives further sorted into English Translated and Japanese only and each has four folders each
Nintendo/Rare Developed - Easy way to play and access the very best stuff (minus a few third party things of course)
Russia/Asia - exclusives
This is pretty much what I have, though I don't break out all letters in the alpha folder into their own individual folders. Some are grouped in groups of 3-4 letters depending on how many files are in there. Each folder is roughly 200 files each, give or take a bit.
Lastly, I noticed people reference VS System and PC-10 on their lists. Are these games playable on the NES with just an Everdrive or is their something additional needed to do this?
There are VS roms that have been converted into NES format, and some of those can be patched to work on the N8. I think the roms can be found in the goodset and some patches are here: http://nes.goondocks.se/patches2.php

I have copies of the PC-10 roms (also in goodeset, I think), but I don't think I've ever actually tried one on the N8. As far as I know, they shouldn't need patching or anything though (someone else here can probably confirm for sure, or there may be a thread here about it somewhere).

Famicom Disk System roms, of course, would benefit from an extended audio mod, though. (Just as an aside for other, since I see you already have this listed on yours)

As an aside, VS Excitebike is so worth having, so check that out if you enjoy EB on NES. The FDS version is nice too since it's made for the console instead of arcade, but again, the audio will be off if your system isn't modded.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Jmbarnes101

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 01:04 AM »
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for these. At some point I'll have to try and figure out to patch things. Their are a lot of translated games and things like Equestria Bound I'd like to try but can't without patching.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for these. At some point I'll have to try and figure out to patch things. Their are a lot of translated games and things like Equestria Bound I'd like to try but can't without patching.
It's generally pretty easy. Just get a program like LunarIPS (Windows) or MultiPatch (Mac) and use it to first choose the rom, then choose the patch to apply - done :)

There are some patches are different and require other programs and steps, but most of them will work with that one. Those that don't will usually tell you what to use.

Offline XC-3730C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I still find it easier to just have a separate folder for each genre. Putting them in separate folders #-Z was too cumbersome for me, and I like to choose games by genre, because for me, it depends on my mood. I don't do FDS games on my N8 because I have an actual FDS drive and games (and I can write my own disks) because I feel the real system plays these games better than a flash cart.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:34 AM by XC-3730C »

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 02:47 AM »