Author Topic: [SOLVED] Everdrive + RGB modded AV Famicom problems  (Read 5675 times)

Offline duckfist

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Everdrive + RGB modded AV Famicom problems
« on: December 28, 2014, 06:37 PM »
I started having some serious issues with playing games on my Everdrive recently.  I think it may have to do with the RGB mod.

It worked fine with the Everdrive for a few weeks, and weird symptoms slowly began developing and it got worse and worse.  Here are the symptoms in the order that they appeared:

1.  Loud bass tone in the background noise.  You can hear it pretty prominently on the Everdrive system menu, and anytime game audio cuts out during gameplay.
2.  In-game sprites started getting this strange white outline.  It seemed to fade in and out, and was most obvious on moving sprites.
3.  #2 was replaced with completely screwed up sprites, where the colors are almost completely inverted.  Also, certain in-game effects, such as the Quickman dark sections in Rockman 2, and the auto-scrolling dragon part of Wily 1, are completely screwed and all graphics disappear.  You can see both of these in the video below.
4.  Huge horizontal black bars appear on the screen at all times.  They slowly move downward, and begin to fade out slightly the longer I keep the Famicom on.

I recorded a video where you can see all of these symptoms (except #2, since it was replaced with the more screwed up #3).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFOBgOOuYQk

Later in the video I swap to a regular Rockman 2 cart, and everything is fine then.  I don't have another Famicom that I can test my Everdrive with, so I'm not sure if the Everdrive has been permanently damaged or not.  However, something is certainly permanent, since the symptoms started off small and have gotten worse and worse every time I power up my Fami.  My power supply is 9V DC 850ma, which should be fine.  I've been using my AV Famicom with the Everdrive for almost 2 years with no issues, and this started cropping up just a couple weeks after I got the RGB mod (~ 1 month ago).

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:24 PM by duckfist »

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Everdrive + RGB modded AV Famicom problems
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 07:51 PM »
You may want to try another power supply first anyway. You have a M1 Mega Drive/Genesis adapter handy? There's a chance that the adapter is going bad, so even a slight power fluctuation will affect the N8.

Offline duckfist

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive + RGB modded AV Famicom problems
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Holy crap that did it.  Thanks!  I actually had a spare DC adapter laying around and it works fine now. 

Before I swapped the PSU, I found that some of the symptoms also occur when playing a NES game on it with a pin converter.  I remember someone previously saying there should be a stickied post with common Everdrive problems and solutions - that needs to happen to maybe save some other people the trouble in the future.

Thanks again!