Author Topic: N8 Freezing and artifacts when specific conditions are met (NES issue?)  (Read 4199 times)

Offline datasphere

• View Profile
I recently bought a Famicom Everdrive N8 from retrotowers and I noticed that some games show rather odd behavour when very specific conditions are met.

I've made sure of the following:
- I have a clean 72-pin connectors (PAL and original) NES
- I properly copied all roms to the micro sd that came with my Everdrive N8 and followed every possible procedure to make sure that the roms are copied properly
- The firmware version I'm using is 11.1
- I'm using the Famicom to NES adapter (also from retrotowers)
- I have a good power supply
- I'm using a donor cart to fit both the Everdrive and adapter properly in a case to make sure that it connects to the NES without problems
- Any original games works perfectly fine on my NES and only very damaged games need to be jiggled around a bit(not a top-loader)

The problem is that certain games show a short horizontal tripping line somewhere near the bottom part of the screen. (it's difficult to explain but it reminds me of interference that old  VHS tapes have. It doesn't really bug me as it is just one short thin line). This line only appears at the edge of most games that handle vertical scrolling. when this line appears the game will sometimes play for a minute or two but then crash making a loud consistent noise while the screen shows either a garbled mess or just the last frame of the game. pressing the reset button brings me back to the Everdrive menu allowing me to select a game again and continue playing. This happens to about 60% of all games I've actually been playing and they all happen at roughly the same point in the game. (varies per game).

I also noticed that when this interfering line appears and you press buttons at a faster rate, (particularly shooting bullets or some other group of sprites) the game will instantly crash.

A more clear example of a game not working is Kirby. In world 3 level 1, when I enter through the third door presenting me with the fourth screen, the game will either glitch first, showing a garbled mess and then crash moments later, or crash immediately the same way as the other games did.
In the case of kirby the crash begins at the exact same area in the game every time. You would think that perhaps the rom is just bad, and I wish this were the case, but no.  I've tried various versions (both PAL and NTSC) and they all crash at the exact same point.

I have tried the Everdrive on a friend's NES (which is in a worse shape than mine) and Kirby runs like a charm (I haven't thoroughly tested it as I have little free time but everything seems to be running fine). The only difference between our systems is that I still had my region lock. So I removed this on my NES as well.... but it had no effect whatsoever.

Do any of you have an idea of what might be wrong? I am out of ideas.
The Everdrive is definitely related as official games run perfectly fine, but it could very well be a problem with my NES as well.

EDIT:
I have thoroughly tested my friends NES and I can confirm that the games I've tested work without problems.
I also went through the trouble of boiling my 72 pin connector and cleaning the mobo just in case. Now even the damaged games boot up at the first try but the problem with my everdrive continues to persist.
I think it's safe to say that my NES is probably the cause of everything even through it runs just fine with any other cartridge.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:08 PM by datasphere »

Offline muckyfingers

• View Profile
Have you tried a different power supply or a new one? The N8 uses more amps than a regular cartridge does.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Take you console to your friend's house and test it with their power supply.

Offline datasphere

• View Profile
My friend's NES was tested with my own power supply. After a little test with my multimeter it seems to be fluctuating between 10 and 11 volts (seems stable-ish at 11.6). It's the original nes adapter.
I also tested my friends adapter and it seems to be showing identical results.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:58 PM by datasphere »

Offline datasphere

• View Profile
I gave up and bought a Famicom instead. Everything seems to work now.