Author Topic: FlashKit MD released!  (Read 60284 times)

Offline raindropua

• View Profile
Re: FlashKit MD released!
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Hi there!

Have someone tried to dump QuackShot for Mega Drive via FlashKit MD dumper/programmer? I have recently made several tries to dump this game from three Mega Drive cartridges and all the tries were successfull, but ROM file size was smaller than expected and non-working. According to "cart info" the ROM size is 256KB. :o  All these cartridges work fine on real hardware console and on Retron 5 which also preliminary dump cartridge data to memory before start the game. So, Mega Drive cartridges were dumped in a smaller size and only Genesis version of QuackShot was dumped with a normal 512KB ROM (and works fine). But Genesis and Mega Drive ROMs should be identical. I have never experienced such issue with any other games while dumping the ROMs.

What do you think about this?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:51 PM by raindropua »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2016, 09:15 PM »
Must be some bug in rom size detection. I will check

Offline Eke

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2016, 10:25 PM »
If you are detecting mirrored ROM data to determine real ROM size, beware that Quackshot PAL cartridge is wired differently than normal ones: the ROM size is 512 kB but the lower 256 kB is mirrored in the lower 1MB memory range and the upper 256 kB is mirrored in the next 1MB memory range.

https://github.com/ekeeke/Genesis-Plus-GX/blob/master/core/cart_hw/md_cart.c#L353

This also explains why the PAL dump is 1,25 MB so it can be flashed on normal cartridges and correctly loaded in emulators.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:30 PM by Eke »

Offline raindropua

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Thank you very much! I will fork Flashkit MD software tool and try to update this logic.

Offline omonim2007

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2016, 11:09 AM »
krikzz, I found two more incompatible games, please check what's wrong with the cart's software:

1. PGA Tour Golf II (UE). Cart says the ROM size is 2 Mb, but actual size is 1 Mb. After trim operation (just delete last 1 Mb in HEX editor) the ROM became identical to GoodGen dump. I think cart incorrectly determines ROM size (second Megabyte is just blank space). Download dump, photos are here (upper USA dump with 4 pictures is mine).

2. Mystic Defender (UE). Cart just said it "Unknown (W)" and dump has correct size but is absolutely wrong internally. Download dump.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:24 AM by omonim2007 »
My projects:
- ROM sets for Retro Consoles (Russian)
- Krikzz Flash carts reviews (Russian)

Offline symbios24

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Hello, is the FlashKit cart MD working with any megadrive game/rom with the Max rom size of 4Mbyte and lower?

thanks

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2017, 04:51 PM »
Hello, is the FlashKit cart MD working with any megadrive game/rom with the Max rom size of 4Mbyte and lower?

thanks
Will work if game does not require on-board RAM or co-processor, like virtua racing

Offline falz

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Can the Flashkit Programmer MD be used to dump Sega Master System/SMS carts with a power base converter inserted between for pinout?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Can the Flashkit Programmer MD be used to dump Sega Master System/SMS carts with a power base converter inserted between for pinout?

No.

Offline catskull

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2017, 06:52 AM »
Hey everyone,

I was able to get the software working natively in MacOS 10.12.6. I also bundled it into a native .app. What's strange is that it won't launch by double clicking the .app. You have to open a terminal, navigate to the directory, and type "open flashkit-md-v1.0.0.0.app". Some graphical stuff is messed up, such as the progress bar, but it works to read and write carts. I just thought I'd post it here in case anyone else would find it useful or knew how to fix some of the weird stuff.

here's a download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2JWZbiqagfDNzRFNU95MUFSZWM

If you're curious, I've developed a new flash cart for my Genesis compilation album-on-cart. We used the krikzz flasher to flash the carts and so far it's working great! Check out this link for more info: https://catskullelectronics.com/YM2017

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2017, 08:36 PM »
catskull You have nice avatar, by the way. It make me smile (:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:38 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline Yami

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Hello,
may I ask if Flashkit MD can write on "open source" MD PCBs based on EEPROMs like the one of HD Retrovision?
https://www.hdretrovision.com/free-stuff#genrom

Thank you very much.
「覇王翔吼拳」を使わざるを得ない

Offline lunch_box

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Hello,
Does anyone know if I can use the flash kit md to make region free sega cd bios carts? I just want a single cart solution to play different region games, can it be done as I know the everdrive allows it??

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:49 PM by lunch_box »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2019, 11:41 PM »
Hello,
Does anyone know if I can use the flash kit md to make region free sega cd bios carts? I just want a single cart solution to play different region games, can it be done as I know the everdrive allows it??

Thanks
No, it can't. There is required extra logic on cart to boot bios from cartridge port.

Offline lunch_box

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2019, 01:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I’m going to order one later. Is it just as simple as selecting write rom, choosing my game and then it will write? Or do I need to something else? Is there a guide anywhere?

Thanks