Author Topic: Turbo ED V2?  (Read 46558 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Turbo ED V2?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 04:41 PM »
That would be nice, especially now when the USB is more compatible (works on SuperGrafx). Are there any homebrew developed for MCGenjin yet?

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 08:49 AM »
That would be nice, especially now when the USB is more compatible (works on SuperGrafx). Are there any homebrew developed for MCGenjin yet?

I don't personally know of any ... but the new MCGenjin-CD (aka CD StupidCard) that's being prototyped right now is looking mighty interesting for homebrew ... 512KB ROM (for a CD SystemCard image) + 2MB RAM.

Offline neorocker7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 06:16 AM »
i'd just like to chime in with another vote for Arcade Card support. i have a Turbo Duo, so to play something like Sapphire i'd have to get a PCE/TG16 converter, get the arcade card, and only then would i be able to play a backed up copy, letalone an original copy! it's a huge expense for single pieces of software. Arcade Card (and other RAM card) would guarantee a first day purchase from me, and i already have the first Turbo EverDrive.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Any updates, KRIKzz?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Any updates, KRIKzz?

Will be released from day to day. I had some problems with production, but seems like now all fine

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 05:42 PM »
How does it look like about the requested features? RAM, battery-RAM, Arcade Card support, MC-Genjin mapper etc.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2015, 10:58 AM »
How does it look like about the requested features? RAM, battery-RAM, Arcade Card support, MC-Genjin mapper etc.

V2 in terms of features will be almost identical to v1. Improved hardware, instant loading, populous support and bit more handy menu is the only advantages

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Populous support means Tennokoe Bank is supported too right? It's also a HuCard with battery-RAM, and is used for backing up your internal BRAM. In that case we can finally move BRAM save files to SD card in the form of Tennokoe Bank save files, if it works like battery-RAM does on other everdrives. What does "improved hardware" mean? Is it still flash or does it use RAM?

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Populous support means Tennokoe Bank is supported too right? It's also a HuCard with battery-RAM, and is used for backing up your internal BRAM. In that case we can finally move BRAM save files to SD card in the form of Tennokoe Bank save files, if it works like battery-RAM does on other everdrives. What does "improved hardware" mean? Is it still flash or does it use RAM?

Is there some reason that you'd want to run the Tennokoe Bank image on TED2 ... the contents of the TED2's RAM will be lost as soon as you turn off the power on the PCE???

Unless that hardware has completely changed from KRIKzz's photos earlier in this thread, there's no battery (not much reason for one).

Again ... unless the hardware has completely changed from KRIKzz's photos earlier in this thread, and from his stated intent for the new TED2 revision, there's no flash chip in there, just a rather nice little RAM chip.

For at least some of us ... having the TED2 use RAM instead of flash is going to be a huge improvement ... it should be able to run a customized Super System Card.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2015, 11:50 AM »
I was under the impression that he was adding a battery like the NEO PCE Super Flash Cart 128M+SAVE version has. Isn't it needed for Populous and Tennokoe Bank that has on-board battery backed RAM? The reason to support Tennokoe Bank is to be able to backup your BRAM to SD as I said. If the TED had a battery the content wouldn't be lost when turning off.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Populous support means Tennokoe Bank is supported too right?
I not think so, unless it working exactly same as populous. I don't know how Tennokoe Bank works, and i did not try to implement it, so, i can't say a lot.
TBED v2 does not have battery, but it can backup save ram in same manner like ED64 v2xx and mega-ed v1 (after reset)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:20 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I was under the impression that he was adding a battery like the NEO PCE Super Flash Cart 128M+SAVE version has. Isn't it needed for Populous and Tennokoe Bank that has on-board battery backed RAM? The reason to support Tennokoe Bank is to be able to backup your BRAM to SD as I said. If the TED had a battery the content wouldn't be lost when turning off.

Without the battery, I'm going to guess that TED2's Populous support is going to be limited to just running the actual game properly ... but that any saved games will be lost when you turn off the power.

The TED already has all the hardware that's needed to back up regular BRAM to SD card ... it just needs someone to actually write a program to do it.

KRIKzz has provided sample code for accessing the SD card from the PCE ... and there's at least some development slowly going on to provide full SD card filesystem read/write capability from the PCE.

When that's done, it shouldn't be too hard to write a homebrew backup ROM.

TBED v2 does not have battery, but it can backup save ram in same manner like ED64 v2xx and mega-ed v1 (after reset)

There isn't a hard reset switch on the PCE ... just the two-button "soft-reset" which isn't going flip the HuCard reset signal.

AFAIK, the only way to get back into the TED's menu system is to turn the power off and on again ... which will wipe the RAM ... unless I'm missing something???

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 06:31 PM »
The TED has a reset button that goes back to the menu.

So save game would work exactly as per the rest of the ED series.
You play, you press reset the TED would save whatever it needs to, once you reload that game TED would also reload the save.
Nothing more nothing less.
Not sure if the savegame creation works in general or if it is only active for Populous (CRC detection, gameId detection or whatever).

If is is based on watching writes at particular locations and assuming the Tennokoe writes the same way as Popluous (same locations, same max size) then it may work already (just load the Tennokoe pce rom), but I doubt it has Krikzz said he didn't even try.

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 08:39 PM »
The TED has a reset button that goes back to the menu.

Doh! ... Silly me, I forgot about that one ... yes, that should work. Cool!

Thanks for the correction.  :)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 11:52 PM »
The TED already has all the hardware that's needed to back up regular BRAM to SD card ... it just needs someone to actually write a program to do it.

KRIKzz has provided sample code for accessing the SD card from the PCE ... and there's at least some development slowly going on to provide full SD card filesystem read/write capability from the PCE.

When that's done, it shouldn't be too hard to write a homebrew backup ROM.
Indeed a homebrew like that would be much better. It could have a better memory manager than Tennokoe Bank has, with individual file copy. It would be useful for TED v1 owners as well. But I hoped that Tennokoe Bank worked the same way as Populous do, both products are made by Hudson after all.

Not sure if the savegame creation works in general or if it is only active for Populous (CRC detection, gameId detection or whatever).

If is is based on watching writes at particular locations and assuming the Tennokoe writes the same way as Popluous (same locations, same max size) then it may work already (just load the Tennokoe pce rom), but I doubt it has Krikzz said he didn't even try.

I hope you can have one save file for every rom that saves on-board, like for the other everdrives. I bet homebrewers would be interested in it too so you could save to the SD card instead of using up precious BRAM space.

Krikzz where did you find the specs of how populous saves?