Author Topic: Turbo ED V2?  (Read 46570 times)

Offline vmhomeboy

• View Profile
Re: Turbo ED V2?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2015, 06:30 PM »
Will be released from day to day. I had some problems with production, but seems like now all fine

I keep checking the site every day to see if this has been released :)

Will be ordering with a MD Everdrive v3 and Super Everdrive v2.

Offline booner99

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2015, 05:31 PM »
I am too waiting for the V2 of the turbo everdrive. I am also wanting to buy the nes and megadrive all together. Any ideas when I can buy them all together?

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2015, 12:58 AM »
Looks like the Turbo EverDrive v2 is available to order now!:-
http://shop.krikzz.com/Turbo-EverDrive-v2-TBEDV2.htm

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2015, 02:31 AM »
Sweet, thanks for the heads up.  Ordered.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2015, 03:49 AM »
Me too.

Not that the V1 is no longer good enough but hey, RAM better than FLASH, it won't wear out that's for sure.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28 AM »
Sweet, I'm getting one for sure in a while!
4MB RAM, can it be used for Arcade Card Pro? It's only 2304 kB.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17 AM »
KRIKzz, does this kill legacy (v1) support now? Any major differences in updating the OS for the v2 that can be implemented for the v1?

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2015, 11:08 PM »
I just ordered mine too  ;D

Krikzz, could you please list of all of the differences and improvements introduced in V2?

Also, will 3D printed shells made for V1 still fit the V2 design? It looks like they will!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM by smokemonster »

Offline BRNexus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2015, 02:46 AM »
Sweet, I'm getting one for sure in a while!
4MB RAM, can it be used for Arcade Card Pro? It's only 2304 kB.

Sadly no.   Though, I'm wondering if the reason is because it is beyond Krikzz's skills as an engineer, or there is something else beyond Krikzz's control to make it feasible.

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Sadly no.   Though, I'm wondering if the reason is because it is beyond Krikzz's skills as an engineer, or there is something else beyond Krikzz's control to make it feasible.

KRIKzz has already said that Arcade Card support was never part of his original design specs for the TED2.

I can't see why you think that that means that he's suddenly incapable of ever doing it just because people here want him to add it after he's already designed the hardware for this version of the TED.

Are you familiar with the Arcade Card's detailed hardware specs, and how it is very different from the PCE's regular banked-rom-or-ram memory?

Do you have enough experience with FPGAs to make a reasoned choice about the cost/benefits of the various FPGA choices that might fit on the HuCard-sized TED2?

Do you have enough FPGA design experience to be able to estimate how many logic-blocks that KRIKzz is using inside the FPGA to interface the 8-bit PCE memory bus with the 16-bit PSRAM chip?

If there aren't enough spare PLBs to implement Arcade Card support ... are you aware of the physical size difference, the cost difference, and the additional routing-complexity in moving up to the iCE40HX4K FPGA chip?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:34 PM by elmer »

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2015, 07:16 PM »
No need to be so defensive involving techno babble in it.

Granted the sentence was poorly phrased but in essence I believe he was asking if KRIKzz may be able to update the firmware to support simulating the Arcade Card Pro.
If it needs a more capable FPGA or not is not even in question yet, if it does then obviously TED v2 will NEVER simulate the Arcade Card, if instead the FPGA is not an issue then it may be that KRIKzz does not know how/what to do yet or simply is not interested. Poor choice of words but I doubt it was his primary language either.

In any case no need to use a wall of technicalities none of which right at this very moment matters.

Peace and love.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:50 PM by phoenixdownita »

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2015, 07:26 PM »

KRIKzz has already said that Arcade Card support was never part of his original design specs for the TED2.

I can't see why you think that that means that he's suddenly incapable of ever doing it just because people here want him to add it after he's already designed the hardware for this version of the TED.

Are you familiar with the Arcade Card's detailed hardware specs, and how it is very different from the PCE's regular banked-rom-or-ram memory?

Do you have enough experience with FPGAs to make a reasoned choice about the cost/benefits of the various FPGA choices that might fit on the HuCard-sized TED2?

Do you have enough FPGA design experience to be able to estimate how many logic-blocks that KRIKzz is using inside the FPGA to interface the 8-bit PCE memory bus with the 16-bit PSRAM chip?

If there aren't enough spare PLBs to implement Arcade Card support ... are you aware of the physical size difference, the cost difference, and the additional routing-complexity in moving up to the iCE40HX4K FPGA chip?
You're asking the exact same question as the person you're critiquing, but with jargon.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2015, 07:32 PM »

I have plans to release turbo-v2. It will be ram based cart with instant loading and populous support. May be i will implement some ram backup and arcade cards features, but i not sure. Features like wav playback or save states definatelly will not be implemented

No "never" in his original statement, just a possibility of implementation.

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2015, 09:16 PM »
No need to be so defensive involving techno babble in it.

Granted the sentence was poorly phrased but in essence I believe he was asking if KRIKzz may be able to update the firmware to support simulating the Arcade Card Pro.

Maybe, as you say, it was just a poorly phrased translation in the question.

But it is exactly the technical details and choices that are the important part when you're questioning an engineer's skills. The "techno babble" comes with the territory.

If it needs a more capable FPGA or not is not even in question yet, if it does then obviously TED v2 will NEVER simulate the Arcade Card, if instead the FPGA is not an issue then it may be that KRIKzz does not know how/what to do yet or simply is not interested. Poor choice of words but I doubt it was is primary language either.

Absolutely ... it may yet be possible with the hardware that's in the TED2.

KRIKzz is the person that knows the capabilities and current utilization of his design, and he's the one that gets to make the decision as to whether he's interested in trying to add Arcade Card support, and whether it's worth his time.

There's a huge difference between that and questioning his skill.

Peace and love.

You're asking the exact same question as the person you're critiquing, but with jargon.

No "never" in his original statement, just a possibility of implementation.

I didn't want to start a flame war. I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2015, 01:50 PM »
KRIKzz, does this kill legacy (v1) support now? Any major differences in updating the OS for the v2 that can be implemented for the v1?
Why i should stop make OS updates for v1 now, if i already stoped make OS updates for v1 in the end of 2012 (: Last OS release for v1 working just fine.
OS different is not huge, and some functions require onboard RAM, so, there is nothing to do with v1.

I just ordered mine too  ;D

Krikzz, could you please list of all of the differences and improvements introduced in V2?

Also, will 3D printed shells made for V1 still fit the V2 design? It looks like they will!

How does it look like about the requested features? RAM, battery-RAM, Arcade Card support, MC-Genjin mapper etc.

V2 in terms of features will be almost identical to v1. Improved hardware, instant loading, populous support and bit more handy menu is the only advantages
As for shells: Mounting holes located in same points, but components layout around holes is different. Probably old shels will fit, but i not sure on 100%

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:08 PM by KRIKzz »