Author Topic: Turbo ED V2?  (Read 46555 times)

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
Turbo ED V2?
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:39 AM »
I finally got a TG16 and a PCE duo and am looking to get a Turbo ED.

I'm a big ED fan, I have 6 everdrives already (N8 FC, N8 NES, GB v 1.2, Mega ED v1, Super ED v1.6, ED 64 v. 2.0).

I know it's not good business to announce a new ED until it's ready, but... I've already been burned a couple times with the Mega ED v2 and 64 v3 coming out shortly after buying my units.   

What I'm wondering is, are there any plans to release a v2 Turbo ED?  Should I wait?  I would love to see 17.5 Mbit RAM support for Arcade CD ROM titles, and the ability to back up the save RAM (like the Ten No Koe Bank HuCard).

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
Re: Turbo ED V2?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:18 AM »
No plans have been mentioned, but there's really not very much extra he could add, functionality wise.

Offline Sunray

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Would save states be possible to implement in V2 (and save states to SD)? I would love that feature since very few games support saving and even fewer have the hardware to save on.

Offline Captain N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:07 AM »
Maybe some way of doing Game Genie like modifications to the Hucards?

Offline princemoonrise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 04:15 PM »
By virtue of the versatility of the HuCard port, it might be possible to do a lot of things, at least from what I've read.  Supposedly its only missing a couple of pins to be fully CD Rom compatible so I was actually wondering if there could be some kind of CD-Rom emulation done on an FPGA version of a future Turbo Everdrive.  Since the other Everdrives all seem to have had an evolution from non FPGA to a better FPGA version with savestates and faster loading, would it not be logical to go in that direction for the Turbo as well?

Let's see what could be done off the top of my head, some of which was already mentioned here...

- Tennokoe Bank function (back up ram saving)
- Save states ala Mega Everdrive and Everdrive N8 (lets get this implemented for SD2SNES too, please)
- Arcade Card mode (can be used as super system card or arcade card natively,  or if its ROM image is picked in the menu)
- Game Genie/Action Replay functionality without having to patch the ROM
- Improved menu that isn't limited to x amount per directory. Smaller fonts would be nice too.
- Ability to switch button I and II function (confirm and cancel are backwards, unless theres some way to change it Im not aware of)
- WAV playback ala Mega Everdrive (love that feature!)
- PCB design more accommodating for casing add-ons (evenly placed holes or more of them, coincidentally flat/same height components)

I would really, really like to see a followup to the Turbo Everdrive!!

Is there ANY chance of this happening?  Krikzz??  Plzz?  :)

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 12:18 AM »
Great ideas princemoonrise. I'd love to see any one of those implemented.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 03:12 AM »
I have plans to release turbo-v2. It will be ram based cart with instant loading and populous support. May be i will implement some ram backup and arcade cards features, but i not sure. Features like wav playback or save states definatelly will not be implemented

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 05:13 AM »
I have plans to release turbo-v2. It will be ram based cart with instant loading and populous support. May be i will implement some ram backup and arcade cards features, but i not sure. Features like wav playback or save states definatelly will not be implemented

o_O! I'll take arcade card implementation on a v2. We're not looking for a 2015 release for this, are we? 

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 05:24 AM »

Awesome! Thanks! I think I will get a V1 anyway because I don't want to wait, hehe.  I'm in the process of recapping my PC Engine Duo... lol what a pain in the ass.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 05:30 AM »

o_O! I'll take arcade card implementation on a v2. We're not looking for a 2015 release for this, are we? 
I already have working sample (: I guess it will be released in next 2-3 months. By thw way, for turbo-v2 i first time used non altera fpga. This cart like a test polygon for new ideas in architecture development, this is different compared to all other everdrive. I have plans to use this experience in next generation of ed-gb, and i hope in ed-gba also. Very small and energy effective devices (:

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 06:55 AM »

I already have working sample (: I guess it will be released in next 2-3 months. By thw way, for turbo-v2 i first time used non altera fpga. This cart like a test polygon for new ideas in architecture development, this is different compared to all other everdrive. I have plans to use this experience in next generation of ed-gb, and i hope in ed-gba also. Very small and energy effective devices (:

With power issues being a main reason for some flashcards not working, something like that which is a bit more energy efficient would be great.

Now...about that arcade card implementation on the v2...:D

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Great news!!

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 10:19 AM »
KRIKzz. Is it gonna be the same price point of the current TED?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 11:03 AM »
KRIKzz. Is it gonna be the same price point of the current TED?
Yes

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Well, ED64v3, new TurboED, EDGBA, etc... some money to save this year once again...