Author Topic: Only JAPanese ROMs are Loading  (Read 8215 times)

Offline StarshipUK

• View Profile
Only JAPanese ROMs are Loading
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:38 AM »
I have two Jap N64s and a ED64 CIC-6102 and the No Intros ROM set.

It will only load Japan ROMs. When I try and load a European ROM or a USA ROM I just get a black screen with no sound or nowt.

Reading the specs of the ED64 it says:
"Region Free! You can play PAL ROMs on a NTSC console, and vice-versa."

Tried bot Jap N64s I own and the same thing is happening. Do I need to do something else?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:08 AM by StarshipUK »

Offline NeoVamp

• View Profile
Re: Only JAP ROMs are Loading
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 05:59 AM »
"Jap" is a racial slur considered by the Japanese community.  Try refraining from the slur, use JP or Japan instead.

Dude It's just an abbreviation, and its only bad because one day politically correct pussies decided that its a bad thing to say,
just so they can pretend to be morally superior when someone uses the word.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27 AM »
LOL at the off topic comments -_- @ starshipUK have you tried goodset roms aswell?
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Online KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:32 PM »
You just have bad roms. JAP and USA roms is completely identical in terms of compatibility

Offline NeoVamp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Sweet, thanks for the minus 1, whom ever gave it to me.

Cheers,
KL

Most likely from the same person who gave me a plus 1, Now all that's left to discover is who gave me a minus 1.

Offline StarshipUK

• View Profile
Re: Only JAPanese ROMs are Loading
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:08 AM »
I don't want to get in a mass debate over this, but I was referring to equipment and not people. My N64's are not offended by me using this abbreviation, and this is commonly used in the ROM world to distinguish game regions. I know for sure the DarkWater collections refer to the sets as for either USA, EUR and JAP. Perhaps this is seen as offensive in America more? I am in the UK, and have even used the phrase used on TV programs here, where no racial intention was meant.

Anyway going back on topic, I have not tried the goodtools set as I don't have it - The NoIntro sets are normally OK, fairly complete and well labelled and are direct 1:1 rips of ROMs. I have used the No Intro ROMs for all my other multicarts with no problems.

I downloaded S-Paladin and copied "007 - GoldenEye (USA).n64" and "007 - The World Is Not Enough (USA).n64" to the root of my SD card. I ticked the Fix country-check box and clicked Convert on each ROM individually. Then tried them again on the Japanese N64 and they worked!

So I then decided to use the paladin command line "paladin /f /b *.*" in the folder which contains the USA ROMs (as S-Paladin will only allow one file to be processed at a time). It processed quite a few files and then Paladin crashed. It seems Paladin can only process so many files before crashing, so I moved the files already completed to another directory and then ran the command line again processed some more before crashing again. I kept doing this till they were all done (367 files), but a number produced an error stating to run /i to add more space to fix. One which said this is "Razor Freestyle Scooter (USA).n64". I then tried them again on the real N64 and same problem as before nothing is loading - just a black screen.

I tried to repeat what I had done with "007 - GoldenEye (USA).n64" and "007 - The World Is Not Enough (USA).n64" the first time and still no luck - they are not loading. I'm not sure what is going on, but it does seem to be ROM and Region related.

All ROMs load fine in an emulator, so don't think every USA ROM I have is corrupt.

Meanwhile every Japanese N64 ROM continues to work and load with no problems on the real Japanese N64's.

When I get some more time I am gonna try copying the original No-Intro ROMs to the SD card and see if I can get some to work again. I wish I had bought a USA N64 now, if I had known the ROMs had region protection.

Online KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:42 AM »
As far as i know, the only difference between JAP and US systems, is the piece of plastic in cart slot, which not allow to plug US cart into jap system, hardware completely identical, so, it can not be region problem even in theory. I think if there was some region problem, then a lot of people should have same problem, but there is no other complaints on such problem.
Checking on emulator means nothing, real console will never play rom with bad checksum or some "hi resolution" hacks, etc, but emulator can "eat" anything

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 02:32 PM »
Yes I can confirm this. As I said in other threads: Both my PAL N64 and Japanese N64 can play games from all regions flawlessly (except that the Japanese N64 needs a pal booster to play PAL roms in color while the PAL N64 can play all games in color). I've tried many many games from the goodset and everything I throw at it just works with no patching.

I have not tried the goodtools set as I don't have it - The NoIntro sets are normally OK, fairly complete and well labelled and are direct 1:1 rips of ROMs. I have used the No Intro ROMs for all my other multicarts with no problems.
The No-intro dumping project has a very pure view on dumping just like the mame dumping union and they aim to have only 1:1 copies but their roms are reportedly not always correctly dumped. Try the goodset if you can since they are well tested. Alternately try on another TV.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:35 PM by nuu »

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Off topic I know, but noteworthy that Krikzz (probably unaware that the word 'Jap' is 'offensive') used that word in his reply but didn't get -1.  What about the racial term 'Brit', surely what matters is the intent with which ANY word or term is used.  Just a thought.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 08:37 PM »
My favorite part of this thread is how the subject title has mysteriously changed.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 10:26 PM »
lol well when refering to roms just J is used to indicate region lmao. I would think they call it a racial slur because at one point hte japanese cut themselves off from the world and the us basicly surrounded them with battleships and way more power then they had at teh time telling them if they do not open their borders and commence in trade and spread their culture with the world they would trash their shit, and vets that fought them in war consider them "Japs". So i personally believe it more to be their angst towards the us and how the us treated them in the past is why they consider it a racial slur, or are you gonna say fag isn't a derogatory  term in itself. I personally don't care how you say it but please don't claim ignorance by claiming it's due to something you couldn't really know, i could be wrong myself as to why it is a racial term but at least I put it in a perspective that is based on facts :P
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:00 AM »
No one is being offensive. In the computer world (especially consoles), you have USA, EUR, and JAP. Those are the accepted abbreviations for the main three regions and have been for decades. They are ONLY abbreviations designed to fit in the same space. Even Japanese people use this abbreviation, and without all the bitching we have seen in this thread.  ;)