Author Topic: Gen-X vs Sega MegaDrive 2  (Read 9564 times)

Offline nEw_boY

• View Profile
Gen-X vs Sega MegaDrive 2
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:33 PM »
Hello guy,

I`m new to this forum, came here trying to get detailed info on Mega Everdrive and Everdrive MD.
Anyways, what I wanted to ask is 3 different questions since I feel most of guys here are much experienced in related scene.

1. Have anyone tried Gen-X Hybrid console made by Retro-Bit ?? Which one should I purchase ?

I can either purchase Gen-X (probably NTSC), or I can go with golden oldie Sega Megadrive 2 (From eBay, item location HK, PAL).
I`m not sure what kind of motherboard/chips are there in either of them. Honestly speaking, I can't compare even if I knew it for sure.
Can someone suggest it based on past experience ??

2. Does Everdrive (Mega & MD) works with Gen-X console ??

3. My cousin own one Sega Megadrive 2 (PAL) version, and it can play WWE: The Arcade game without any addon. I looked it up on google and came to know that it's 32X version. However, he is not using 32X addon, I myself have played the same 100ds of time, it doesn't hang, and works awesome. How is that possible ?? Does that means it can play any 32X game without 32X addon ??

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
Re: Gen-X vs Sega MegaDrive 2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 06:47 AM »
1) Buy a used original SEGA console. I have purchased one product from Retro-bit before, somewhat skeptical and kicking my own ass as I clicked "Buy It Now". It was a wireless SNES controller. Not surprisingly, it was junk. I smashed into pieces upon arrival, in hopes that I could salvage some components. Nope... just garbage. It was smashed and disposed of within 20 mins.

2) Maybe, but it will be cheap junk, so don't buy one.

3) Short answer, no. You need a 32x to play 32x games.

Here's a thread on picking a good console out:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

P.S. Did I mention not to buy 3rd party consoles? I hope I mentioned that. They are shit.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:50 AM »
This includes the Sega Firecore. Don't buy that thing either.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 03:37 AM »
Most local thrift stores (Goodwill, etc.) usually have a steady supply of Gens (model 1 and 2) for no more than $10 for the console itself. Hookups are usually laying around at the same area.

Offline nEw_boY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:50 PM »
I live in India, and you cant find a single one of those here in store...

I purchased Sega MegaDrive 2 (Genesis 2 PAL region), mint in box for 100$ USD, from Ebay. I dont know much about motherboard, and chips in that, but I gotta say the build quality is pretty awesome, its much better than the one I played on at my cousin's house.

And about that game, it was not 32X game, but I thought it was.
I think the best alternate to purchase NES consoles, is to get its controllers and USB Converters, after all, why not take advantage of advancements...! :D

I`m still saving for my Mega EverDrive  :P

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 05:50 PM »
This depends on what encoder is in the Gen-X.

The Sega Genesis model 2 often has a Samsung Video Encoder which cannot be made to support S-Video and has very poor Composite picture (rainbow banding & jailbars).

Here is a discussion about the Samsung encoder here:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23734

Unless it is one of the rare Genesis Model 2's that have a Sony encoder instead of a Samsung, stay away from those and get a Model 1. You can actually remove the Samsung encoder and replace it with a Sony encoder, but re-soldering an IC on a motherboard takes great time and skill. You also usually have to make a circuit to add support for the chip you are putting on the board.

If the Gen-X has the Sony CXA1645 or CXA1145 (like the FC Twin does), then it has good composite video and can probably easily be modded to support S-Video. I do not know if that is the case or not, so the Gen-X is a risk.

I actually have a Genesis Model 2 with S-Video and a Blue LED that I'll be putting up on eBay soon (it is one of the rare ones with a SONY encoder).

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Here is a discussion about the Samsung encoder here:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23734

I want so much to get genesis with VA2 motherboard, but they is so rare ):

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:30 PM »
I have a model 1 VA2. I like it a lot.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:50 PM »
I also have VA2 model1, but i want VA2 model2 with discrete yahama

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 09:52 PM »
I believe I something like that as well (not sure of board revision). It sounds pretty good, no distortion but overall not as nice as the model 1. It's definitely nowhere near as bad sounding as most model 2s.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 12:37 AM »
Model 2 VA2/VA2.3 have the Discrete YM2616 and apparently mix the channels poorly, but can be modified to fix this and match the quality of a <= VA7 Model 1.

Redifer, if you have a half decent sounding console and it has the full metal plate (and motherboard) on the bottom, you've got yourself either a VA2 or VA2.3.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:01 AM »
Looks like I've got a VA3 or VA4. No discrete YM2612 but the sound is supposedly better. I guess the sound on any model 2 can't really match the early model 1s. Krikzz why do you want a VA2 with discrete 2612 when you already have a model 1 with a discrete 2612? Supposedly the PSG mixing is off on the model 2 VA2.

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 03:40 AM »
The one I'm selling is a revision 1. I've not come across the revision 2 of the model 2 very often.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Krikzz why do you want a VA2 with discrete 2612 when you already have a model 1 with a discrete 2612? Supposedly the PSG mixing is off on the model 2 VA2.
Just for collection purposes. I have a lot of various versions of genesis, but i still can't get model2 VA2. VA2 looks unique compared to other model 2 boards