Poll

What is your favourite console (that has an Everdrive available to use with it), and why?

Game Gear
0 (0%)
Megadrive/Genesis
5 (31.3%)
N64
3 (18.8%)
NES/Famicom
1 (6.3%)
Sega Master System
0 (0%)
SNES
3 (18.8%)
Turbo Graphics/PC Engine
1 (6.3%)
Can't decide, I love at least two of the systems equally
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Your favourite system that has an Everdrive available for it  (Read 11571 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
I'd have to say the N64, as it's my favourite console ever. Plus it's the only console I have that has an Everdrive made for it (my other consoles are disc based  >:(), but I love the N64 mainly because (to me) the two best first person shooters of all time are on it (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark), plus it has some of the best 3D platform games ever made, too - Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Banjo Tooie, and Rocket: Robot on Wheels.

Of course the N64 also has Superman 64, which is a contender for the worst game ever, but let's not dwell on that  ::)

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Your favourite system that has an Everdrive available for it
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Snes because it has the best library.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:42 AM »
I'd also vote for the Turbo if I could choose multiple systems.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:22 AM »
MegaEverdrive... that handles THREE systems in one - the SMS, MegaDrive, and the 32X. It's even more if you count region free bios for the SCD.

Next for me is the ED64 - the N64 is turning into a great system for homebrew.

Next after that is the TurboEverdrive - the best cart so far for the TG16/PCE.

(I kinda put the Everdrive before the system since it made it easier to explain my rankings)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43 AM »
everdrive MD the first born everdrive!!!!!
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Polaventris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48 AM »
Mega Drive. Love the console and the games it has. Hardware backwards compatability is a great bonus too. Can only wish SD2SNES will have super gameboy player support someday  ::)

Offline duhproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 07:46 PM »
This was a tough one between Genesis and TG16, but I have to say I've enjoyed all the import titles on the TG16 so much. That's the one I picked.

I have Everdrives for ALL my cart based consoles. Amazing devices...

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18 PM »
I never played on a PC Engine/TG16 (never even saw one  :(), but I've heard that they are fantastic - I'm sure I read somewhere that it has the best ratio of good to bad games of any system?

I can't decide which I prefer in the SNES/Megadrive - I think that, whichever side you chose in that console generation, you were a winner.

One thing I've always meant to look into on the SNES/Megadrive, was the way some games were different on the two machines even though they had the same name - it would be interesting to see how different developers developed the same license. Games like Alien 3, Scooby Doo, Aladin, and Shadowrun, were famous for being different depending on whether you played them on the SNES or Megadrive.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28 AM »
i got a TG16 and a TED, good system and a ace everdrive, MDvSNES i favoured the snes in some games like aladdin and batman returns (awesome beat em up)

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:14 AM »
I have the SGX - just wish they'd made more games for it, but I look forward to trying to do homebrew on it.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:02 AM »
I have the SGX - just wish they'd made more games for it, but I look forward to trying to do homebrew on it.

After you compress wolf 32x saves of course  ;)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 03:14 AM »

What's an SGX (is it a non-PAL name for a PC Engine)?

Come to think of it, why was the PC Engine called the 'PC' Engine? I doubt it was anything to do with the IBM Personal Computer.

The N64 was codenamed the Ultra 64, which I always felt they should have stuck with, as (to me) it's better than either N64 or Nintendo 64. And I know the Gamecube was codenamed The Dolphin, which again I preferred.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:59 PM »

After you compress wolf 32x saves of course  ;)

Well, if KRIKzz updates the MED OS to use the size in the rom header, I won't need to until I get the update done.  :)

But there are other things that I'll be working on that have priority over the SGX, not just Wolf32X.

It was NEC's answer to the Genesis and SNES - they took a regular PCE and stuck in more ram, another VDP (with more vram), and a chip to handle the video from both VDPs. This gave you two layers and twice the sprites. It never caught on, so there weren't too many shipped, and only 6 games made.

Come to think of it, why was the PC Engine called the 'PC' Engine? I doubt it was anything to do with the IBM Personal Computer.

The IBM PC has since become what people think of when you say "PC", but all home computers are PCs. I don't know exactly where PCE comes from, but I'd imagine that they probably originally designed the chip set for a line of home computers that became a home console instead... kind of a reverse Amiga.  :D

The N64 was codenamed the Ultra 64, which I always felt they should have stuck with, as (to me) it's better than either N64 or Nintendo 64. And I know the Gamecube was codenamed The Dolphin, which again I preferred.

Nintendo had to change the name for trademark reasons. Often consoles come out under a different name because some other company holds the trademark on the name they want and cannot be persuaded to sell it. For example, Apple has no rights to the name iPad in China, or iPhone in Brazil, and was unable to force either country to sell the rights to the terms, so an iPad in China is not an Apple device, nor an iPhone in Brazil.

That was the reason the MegaDrive became the Genesis in the US - someone else in the US already owned the term MegaDrive and wouldn't sell to SEGA.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 03:56 PM »

It was NEC's answer to the Genesis and SNES - they took a regular PCE and stuck in more ram, another VDP (with more vram), and a chip to handle the video from both VDPs. This gave you two layers and twice the sprites. It never caught on, so there weren't too many shipped, and only 6 games made.

Oh, I see. If it's limited in numbers then it must be a collector's item by now! And no doubt it was never released in PAL format (we always get everything last, and if we get it at all, we pay more for it, and often get the inferior version  >:().

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 04:10 PM »
i love my virgin PAL turbo grafix 16 and my turbo everdrive :)