Poll

What is your favourite console (that has an Everdrive available to use with it), and why?

Game Gear
0 (0%)
Megadrive/Genesis
5 (31.3%)
N64
3 (18.8%)
NES/Famicom
1 (6.3%)
Sega Master System
0 (0%)
SNES
3 (18.8%)
Turbo Graphics/PC Engine
1 (6.3%)
Can't decide, I love at least two of the systems equally
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Your favourite system that has an Everdrive available for it  (Read 11529 times)

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite system that has an Everdrive available for it
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 09:48 PM »

What's an SGX (is it a non-PAL name for a PC Engine)?

It was NEC's answer to the Genesis and SNES - they took a regular PCE and stuck in more ram, another VDP (with more vram), and a chip to handle the video from both VDPs. This gave you two layers and twice the sprites. It never caught on, so there weren't too many shipped, and only 6 games made.

Oh, I see. If it's limited in numbers then it must be a collector's item by now! And no doubt it was never released in PAL format (we always get everything last, and if we get it at all, we pay more for it, and often get the inferior version  >:().

It's Japanese NTSC only. I got a refurb from someone over at Sega16 - while he was refurbishing it, he added a region mod and svideo mod. It was $120, but I think it was worth it. I'm lucky the TED works with the region mod.

I had a choice of getting the SGX or a refurbed Duo, and while the Duo would have allowed me to play more games, I like the potential of the SGX for homebrew more since my interest in most consoles is homebrew. The SGX + TED could really make for some awesomeness - I've just got other things of higher priority before I work on SGX homebrew.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Your favourite system that has an Everdrive available for it
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 05:35 AM »
It's Japanese NTSC only. I got a refurb from someone over at Sega16 - while he was refurbishing it, he added a region mod and svideo mod. It was $120, but I think it was worth it. I'm lucky the TED works with the region mod.

I had a choice of getting the SGX or a refurbed Duo, and while the Duo would have allowed me to play more games, I like the potential of the SGX for homebrew more since my interest in most consoles is homebrew. The SGX + TED could really make for some awesomeness - I've just got other things of higher priority before I work on SGX homebrew.

You'll probably by happy to know that the turbografx + cd attachment actually has better sound quality than the duo.  And I'm glad you homebrew for the hardware that barely had the potential tapped.....now if only wolf32x had compressed saves so it can work on the everdrive *can't find a begging emoticon*