Author Topic: How do I save? Ys and Phantasy Star now don't boot! What's going on?  (Read 13394 times)

Offline Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
Hi KRIKzz and everyone else here! I just got my Master Everdrive a few hours ago and have been really loving it so far, but I have a problem.

How does saving work on the Master Everdrive? I want to play both Phantasy Star and Ys, but not only can't I seem to figure out how to save, but I also can't load the games I did try to save to.

They copy correctly but then just present a blank screen. I must have done something wrong because prior to trying to save them, they both worked.

In both cases, I am using the FM enhanced versions from romhacking.net.

I loaded them up successfully when there was NO save, but now they won't boot.

Where does the Master EverDrive store saves?

Can I delete the saves? I don't see them anywhere on my SD card.

Can I only have one save at a time? In other words, can I only have a save for Ys OR Phantasy Star?

I need some help here. Please walk me through the process.

If it helps, here are the links to the two FM enabled patches for Ys and Phanrasy Star. Again, they do both boot and work the first time I tried them, but after saving in game, I can't seem to boot them at all from the Master Everdrive now.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/572/

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1069/

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:15 AM by Satoshi_Matrix »

Offline keropi

• View Profile
Re: How do I save? Ys and Phantasy Star now don't boot! What's going on?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:08 PM »
I don't know if you are the same person, but there is a thread going on on assebler games: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?43847-How-do-you-save-SRAM-on-MasterED&p=642175
basically MasterED does not create sram files automatically, you need to make and update them manually.
I did not know about that, it would help if KRIKKz mentioned it on the cart's page or had an empty sram file for download so we had a hint...

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:16 PM »
just like the snes powerpak..
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17 PM »
yeah before krikzz announced the nes ed i was thinking about purchasing a powerpack and i noticed you can download the blank save file from the website. i gather you just name filename to corraspond with the romname. i aint got a clue how to make the blank save files but it would probably simple enough if we had the info. i asked on the assembler forum but no harm in asking here aswell... can someone please upload a blank save file and does anyone know if there is a list of all master system games which use sram. i know there aint many. phantasy star and y's for example. also where do you place the save files on the sd card after you created them? i figured i would just create a blank file for each game which uses sram and update my sd card.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:24 AM »
List of SMS games using sram:
Golden Axe Warrior
Golfamania
Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord
Monopoly
Penguin Land
Phantasy Star
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Ys: The Vanished Omens

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:32 AM »
I don't know where is the problem, those two games works fine for me, i can save and load

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:09 AM »
I don't know where is the problem, those two games works fine for me, i can save and load

the problem was just a "problem" I imagine, because we did not understand how saving really works on the MasterED...

here is a blank 32kb sram file in case anyone needs it: http://www.mediafire.com/?01z90qmsyv8zcg2

can also be created with the FSUTIL that comes with windows, type this at the command prompt: FSUTIL file createnew c:\32kb.srm 32768

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 04:34 AM »
If you're on a posix system (linux/bsd/osx), you can use dd:

Code: [Select]
dd if=/dev/zero of=filename.srm bs=32768 count=1

Offline Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:12 AM »
I understand about the 32K save files. Thanks for the upload. I put them on the SD card under a SAVE folder but that doesn't solve my problem.

I am very, VERY confused about all this.

Please note that when I say Phantasy Star and Ys wont boot I'm not talking about the stock versions, but the enhanced versions that take advantage of the YM2413 board that I had installed. The two patches take the English games and add in the FM audio from the Japanese Mark III versions.

I CAN get the normal, non FM english version of Phantasy Star to boot, but not the enhanced version that ran the first time I tried out my EverDrive.

Here are the two patches I'm running.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1069/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/572/

Here's what's so strange.

Within hours of getting my Master EverDrive, I patched and successfully ran the FM enhanced versions of Phantasy Star and Ys Vanished Omen. They both ran perfectly on the Master EverDrive - no glitches, nothing. Then I went to save in game, and again, that worked no problem.

Ever since, I have not been able to boot either of them. In fact, even the normal non FM Ys Vanished Omen does not boot now. The only thing I've done to my EverDrive since getting it is changed the OS to version 5.

Can anyone help me out here? If needbe, I'll upload the patched roms I'm using so others might find out what's going on. I mainly bought the Master EverDrive so I could experience these two classic RPGs on the real console with FM audio.

Please help!

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 01:07 PM »
List of SMS games using sram:
Golden Axe Warrior
Golfamania
Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord
Monopoly
Penguin Land
Phantasy Star
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Ys: The Vanished Omens

only a few then lol hardly seems worth it unless your a rpg player (which im not)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:52 PM »
@ Satoshi_Matrix:

I assume you already tried copying fresh copies of the games in the SD card in case the files got corrupted in the sd, right? I have a sms1+smsfm , I  will test the games in a while

edit: OK tried both games, they do have FM sound and save/load OK... are you sure you did not corrupt the roms in your SD with the save/restore sram function?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:06 PM by keropi »

Offline Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 08:08 PM »
It's possible.....could you do me a huge favor and email me copies you tried of FM Ys and FM phantasy star? my email is satoshimatrix@hotmail.com.

Thanks. As I said, I mainly bought the EverDrive to play FM Phantasy Star, something I can't do on a real cart.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I know there are two versions of the patched rom - one that broke saving, and one that works. I ran into that myself some time back.

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 09:26 PM »
It's possible.....could you do me a huge favor and email me copies you tried of FM Ys and FM phantasy star? my email is satoshimatrix@hotmail.com.

Thanks. As I said, I mainly bought the EverDrive to play FM Phantasy Star, something I can't do on a real cart.

done . hope they work for you fine!

Offline Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 07:40 AM »
Well I guess that was the problem. Since you emailed me, both games now work. Have no idea what was wrong but problem fixed!

However, I have another problem. Why is it that some games do not show up properly? I put games into folders depending on what kind of game they are "Beat 'em up", "Platformers", "RPG", etc.

Only a maximum of 36 games show up which is page 1 and most of page 2, but then nothing beyond that. I read that the SMS Everdrive can handle up to 90 files per directory, but that doesn't seem to be true, unless I'm doing something wrong.

How many roms can I put in an individual folder and expect to display correctly on the Master Everdrive?