Author Topic: Transfer save files to and from retail Pokemon Red and Gold  (Read 8342 times)

Offline Nosen

• View Profile
Sorry this isn't strictly Everdrive related.

http://www.retrocollect.com/Guides/guide-how-to-backup-original-nintendo-game-boy-cartridge-save-games-sav-files-to-the-pc.html

Transferring files to and from retail cartridges of Pokemon Red is very easy once you own the appropriate hardware, but does anyone know of an easier way? I don't want to spend that much on hardware that I can't do anything with.

If you are wondering why I don't just use an Everdrive GB; I want to be able to use my GB cartridge with Pokemon Stadium without modding my transfer Pak.

Thanks!

Offline Mickkn

• View Profile
Re: Transfer save files to and from retail Pokemon Red and Gold
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58 PM »
You can dump your Original cartridge and savefile with the Everdrive64 and a transfer pak

Offline Mickkn

• View Profile

Offline trekeyus

• View Profile
    • my soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 10:09 PM »
I wound up getting in on the preorder for ALTANE, nitro2k01's cartridge flasher project. was a bit on the pricy side but it will allow me to backup the sram on my retail carts, restore the sram from my everdrive to a retail cart and flash the more obscure flash carts such as a Nintendo power cart.  The great thing about the ALTANE is it uses usb and is supported by any system that has a FTDI driver ie most systems.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/13110/introducing-altane-nitro2k01s-cartridge-flasher-project/
Chaos reigns within - Reflect, repent and reboot - Order shall return

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:57 PM »
I wound up getting in on the preorder for ALTANE, nitro2k01's cartridge flasher project. was a bit on the pricy side but it will allow me to backup the sram on my retail carts, restore the sram from my everdrive to a retail cart and flash the more obscure flash carts such as a Nintendo power cart.  The great thing about the ALTANE is it uses usb and is supported by any system that has a FTDI driver ie most systems.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/13110/introducing-altane-nitro2k01s-cartridge-flasher-project/
Thanks for pointing this out. For all of my rom and sram dumps, ive been fine using the n64 and transfer cart but ill def want something to flash my newly aquired nintendo power cart :).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:59 PM by Paulweeze »
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline SidePocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:44 PM »
http://micro-64.com/features/gbromdumping.shtml

I'll have to bookmark this article.  It doesn't say whether you need Everdrive 64 2.5 or 3.0, so I assume this method works on both?
Currently own: Everdrive GB, Everdrive-MD, Everdrive 64 v. 2

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:55 PM »

I'll have to bookmark this article.  It doesn't say whether you need Everdrive 64 2.5 or 3.0, so I assume this method works on both?
Works on my ED64 v2 so it should work on all n64 everdrives (hopefully :D).
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline cheaterdragon1

• View Profile
    • Micro-64
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 02:40 AM »

Tested and working on a 2.0 and a 3.0. I'm sure it works perfectly on a 2.5 as well.

We now have a Facebook group for all N64 fans!

Offline trekeyus

• View Profile
    • my soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 01:28 AM »
My ALTANE just arrived in the mail. I was able to dump the SRAM of a cartridge I though was a goner. The game was white screening after the Nintendo logo. I have successfully backed up the SRAM on all my retail cartridges. I was able to archive my original Pokemon red and yellow for use on my everdrive :). i did have issues with the everdrive and the SRAM files though :(. Some games would fail to backup to the sd card when switching roms and the everdrive would hang. I think it might have just been my sd card having filesystem issues though as it fussed about needing a chkdsk when I put it back into my sd card reader. The games that barfed were Zelda ages and seasons, xtreme sports, and super mario land 2 six gold coins. Thankfully they are all playable on emulators. I really suspect it was just my sd card having filesystem issues.
http://imgur.com/a/pq8Hn

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 01:35 AM »
hm i'm not sure how good the edgb handles fragmentation in the fat filesystem.
maybe it's worth a try to copy the entire content to the pc, reformat the sdcard and putting everything back to it. :>

Offline trekeyus

• View Profile
    • my soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 04:17 AM »
hm i'm not sure how good the edgb handles fragmentation in the fat filesystem.
maybe it's worth a try to copy the entire content to the pc, reformat the sdcard and putting everything back to it. :>
Well I ran a chkdsk /r on it but yea if I really wanted to be through id nuke the sd card and do a full reformat on it. then again I had been looking for an excuse to get a biger SD card anyway as 2gb is just a bit to small and it was a pain in to butt for force it to use fat 32.