Author Topic: Sorting problems (Mega Everdrive v2)  (Read 20181 times)

Offline omonim2007

• View Profile
Sorting problems (Mega Everdrive v2)
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:04 AM »
Hello.
Я have some sorting problems with Mega Everdrive v2. See the picture:

Pleses solve this.
My projects:
- ROM sets for Retro Consoles (Russian)
- Krikzz Flash carts reviews (Russian)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sorting problems (Mega Everdrive v2)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Mega-ed v2 does not sort files at all, and this is not a bug. You should use some third party tools for fat records sorting or copy all files at once on clean sd card.
Latest carts begins from EDGB does not sort fat records due speed and memory optimisation. (Except N64 carts)

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline omonim2007

• View Profile
My projects:
- ROM sets for Retro Consoles (Russian)
- Krikzz Flash carts reviews (Russian)

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 05:29 AM »
Actually if you select all of your ROMs at once and select "copy to folder" to the SD Card, then all of the games should copy in alphabetical order. However if you add ROMs after that one by one, they don't auto sort so I usually just erase the entire ROM folder and select copy to folder again. It does take a little time, but the entire MD/Genesis library is not that big and how often do you nee to add ROMs after that?

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 05:33 AM »

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Actually if you select all of your ROMs at once and select "copy to folder" to the SD Card, then all of the games should copy in alphabetical order. However if you add ROMs after that one by one, they don't auto sort so I usually just erase the entire ROM folder and select copy to folder again. It does take a little time, but the entire MD/Genesis library is not that big and how often do you nee to add ROMs after that?
The keyword there being "should" - but it doesn't always. It's easier to just use a tool that is designed to sort like this.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 12:30 PM »
I was also struggling to get the ROMs in proper order on the Mega EverDrive. I'd copy them over cleanly to the microSD card, and they would appear in correct order on my PC, yet the Mega EverDrive would show ugly random order of some ROMs out of place. In order to finally fix this, I had to batch edit all the ROMs to have the same creation date, and then manually move them letter by letter to the microSD card. That finally made them come up in proper order on the Mega EverDrive.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 12:26 PM »
I was also struggling to get the ROMs in proper order on the Mega EverDrive. I'd copy them over cleanly to the microSD card, and they would appear in correct order on my PC, yet the Mega EverDrive would show ugly random order of some ROMs out of place. In order to finally fix this, I had to batch edit all the ROMs to have the same creation date, and then manually move them letter by letter to the microSD card. That finally made them come up in proper order on the Mega EverDrive.
That is an absolutely freaking insane way to sort your card. Just use FAT Sorter. It took me 10 seconds to sort my entire 8GB SD card using it.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 01:06 AM »
Mega-ed v2 does not sort files at all, and this is not a bug. You should use some third party tools for fat records sorting or copy all files at once on clean sd card.
Latest carts begins from EDGB does not sort fat records due speed and memory optimisation. (Except N64 carts)
excuse me...but mega everdrive 2 is the best cart available and most expensive and it not have the auto sorting??? is that a joke?? today i added some roms and it shows them after the z games...no words!

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 01:16 AM »
excuse me...but mega everdrive 2 is the best cart available and most expensive and it not have the auto sorting??? is that a joke?? today i added some roms and it shows them after the z games...no words!

You got what you paid for, it's still the best flash cart in the market, I don't see why something so insignificant would leave anyone "speechless", but I guess OCD really is a thing. My advice: Sell it if you don't like it.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 03:36 AM »
To be fair, it's not insignificant when your SD card has nearly every ROM known to man and yet they're arranged in an arbitrary order that makes it difficult to find anything. That sort of fights against the purpose of a flash cart. Considering the premium you pay for the V2/X7, and the fact that the outdated V1 (which I own) does its own sorting, it's not hard to see it as an issue, and that's without getting into "OCD".

That's not to say that Krikzz's reasons for doing it aren't legitimate, but I can see why someone would be bothered by having to run a third-party sorting program every time they add a ROM to their SD card. I use DriveSort to keep my massive Sonic hacks folder less messy (since MED V1 sorts by short name), but it'd be a bit tedious to run it every single time there's a change.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 07:54 PM »
To be fair, it's not insignificant when your SD card has nearly every ROM known to man and yet they're arranged in an arbitrary order that makes it difficult to find anything. That sort of fights against the purpose of a flash cart. Considering the premium you pay for the V2/X7, and the fact that the outdated V1 (which I own) does its own sorting, it's not hard to see it as an issue, and that's without getting into "OCD".

That's not to say that Krikzz's reasons for doing it aren't legitimate, but I can see why someone would be bothered by having to run a third-party sorting program every time they add a ROM to their SD card. I use DriveSort to keep my massive Sonic hacks folder less messy (since MED V1 sorts by short name), but it'd be a bit tedious to run it every single time there's a change.

I think you are mistaken.

The list of features for the MegaED V2/X7 are clearly listed on the website, and if they are not there, then they shouldn't be there, regardless of what you believe this premium device should have or not.

Now, this is not to say that the everdrive can't be upgraded, actually, its the whole point, and also the OS is open source. This gives 2 options, either request the feature or add it yourself.

There is a proper way to ask for things, however, and a whiny self-entitled rant on the forums isn't one of them. You COULD try asking for it NICELY and in an EDUCATED manner, and Kkrikz will see to it when he finds the time, should he decide to re-add this feature or not, but keep in mind this is not an obligation, you got what you paid for, which is what's on the features list on the website store.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 04:58 AM »
I have no recollection of file-sorting ever being listed as a feature on an Everdrive, even though it had been previously, so by your logic, it shouldn't have even been there. Details of what the Everdrives can and can't do aren't always included in the official documentation, which is in part why we we have a forum chock-full of questions about them. Again, file-sorting has been a feature before, whether specifically boasted as one or not, so I don't think it completely unreasonable to expect, at the least, continuity with that. It's also a common feature found on just about any device that lets you load it with bazillions of your own files (though, again, seldom listed as one).

If you really want to get into a "proper way" to converse on the forums, maybe it's also not to dismissively condescend to someone who payed over $150 for the Cadillac of flash carts while casually undermining a serious mental condition, but maybe I'm just mistaken again. It's absolutely Krikzz's prerogative not to see it as an issue, but that's not to say that it isn't a customer's prerogative to see it as one.

Offline vice86

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 09:26 AM »
i think we need a group hug.