Author Topic: Super ED 2.1 Strange save behaviour with Ys III  (Read 5174 times)

Offline camous

• View Profile
Super ED 2.1 Strange save behaviour with Ys III
« on: April 26, 2015, 02:34 PM »
This is about running the US version of Ys III on a 2.1 Super Ever Drive.

The save function seems to be malfunctioning. When I start the game up, even after having formatted the SD cart, and reset ram by removing the ED battery for a while, it shows three previous save games in the save menu.

These should not be there from the start as can be verified by starting a fresh game from a emulator.

These three save games cannot be overwritten when I try via the ingame save menu. When I load these save games the game either crashes or bugs out.

Things I've already tried:

Format the SD cart.
Try another SD cart.
Reset the ED ram by removing battery.
Try different ROM copies from other sites.
Copy over valid sram from emulator.

Anyone else have trouble with Ys III?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:04 PM by camous »

Offline camous

• View Profile
Re: Super ED 2.1 Strange save behaviour with Ys III
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Krikzz, can you comment on this problem please?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Unfortunatelly i have nothing to say.
May be you can use File To SRAM function to load sram file from emulator. This function will inject file data directly to save ram
Also  you should sheck if ram enabled in options

Offline camous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 05:33 PM »
I have already tried that, and it did not work.

The strangest thing is that when the ED creates a save name for "YS III.smc" it gives it a weird name like "YS III.smc." with extra dots on the file name, and when I load the SD card into a PC I cannot delete or edit that save file, it is like it has curropted the FAT file system.

Only way to get rid of the file is to format the SD card and copy the roms back on. But then starting the game will produce a similar curropted save file.

Does removing the battery erase save games from the SRAM? If not, is there a way to erase the SRAM completely?

Save game function for Super Mario World seems to be working fine strangely enough.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:11 PM by camous »

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Ys III is a game which has been known to cause issues with flash carts.  In the SNES PowerPak, it will not show that a game has been saved and trying to load a save game causes the game to crash.  This is due to the unusual way it addresses or writes to its SRAM. 

Saving and loading work fine with an SD2SNES with the latest official or beta firmware :

"Map SRAM to the whole bank instead of just the lower half on LoROM games <=16Mbits. Fixes saving in some games, at least Ys III - Wanderers from Ys."

This is something that will require a firmware fix for the Super EverDrive.  Secret of Evermore apparently has a similar saving/loading issue, it only properly works in an SD2SNES.

Removing the battery will erase any game stored in SRAM.  The SRAM holds only one save at a time, which it writes to the SD card.  You may need to wait a minute and make sure the cartridge is not inserted into a console for the data to fully clear. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:46 PM by Great Hierophant »
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline camous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Okay, so it sounds like a firmware fix is needed for this. I was getting worried that my SuperED was broken. Hopefully Krikzz will jump on this and fix it for a future firmware.

Honestly I am a bit shocked that no one has stumbled on this problem before and brought it to light.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:50 PM by camous »

Offline Lobdale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 07:05 PM »
Okay, so it sounds like a firmware fix is needed for this. I was getting worried that my SuperED was broken. Hopefully Krikzz will jump on this and fix it for a future firmware.

Honestly I am a but shocked that no one has stumbled on this problem before and brought it to light.

Yeah, it'd be neat if this could be fixed!  I was really looking forward to playing Secret of Evermore.

Offline BarbieOnWeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 01:00 PM »
The save thing works in Secret of Evermore, at least in the 2 player version.