Author Topic: SD I/O Error - Worked Before  (Read 5371 times)

Offline brokenharbour

• View Profile
SD I/O Error - Worked Before
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Super Everdrive w/DSP option, I loaded the OS on a micro sd card and put about 5 roms in a separate folder to test.

I first loaded up Super Mario World and played for about 10 minutes, everything seemed fine, then I loaded up Super Mario Kart and I got a "SD I/O Error, files not found" error.  I thought that was weird, so I reset the system... error occurs again.  Then I powered off, took out SD card out, put it back in... same error, then I thought maybe I have the DSP.bin files in the wrong place, so I try to load up Aero Fighters... same error.

So I grab another SD card, put the same files in.. works the 1st time I load SMW, second time... SD I/O error.  WTF?

I'm using a proper Nintendo AC Adapter, so the cart is getting enough power I assume.....  I never had issues like this with my Everdrive64...

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SD I/O Error - Worked Before
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 10:41 PM »
This error only with DSP games?

Offline brokenharbour

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:42 PM »
it occurs with all games.

What directory should my DSP.bin files be in? The SPED folder?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:52 PM »
it occurs with all games.

What directory should my DSP.bin files be in? The SPED folder?
Yes, in SPED.
Show me error code

Offline brokenharbour

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 05:02 AM »
OK so I tried to screw around with this more.  I used a new 16 GB Sony MicroSD card w/adapter and copied the OS folder + DSP files and the same Roms as last time.I keep getting a SD I/O Error.  But if I press start, it will load Super Mario World, the very first Rom I tried a few days ago.

So I decide to take the SD card out, and do the test suite.  After the test suite verified everything is OK, I powered the console off and back on... then it will load any Rom.  However, after a reset or power cycle, it will give me the SD I/O Error again.  So if I want to change roms, I have to do the self test, and then power cycle the console... kind of inconvenient, but at least it sort of works....

However, sometimes it gives me an FPGA Firmware error.

Also, all DSP Games have graphics errors or crash.  I have the DSP.Bin files in the SPED folder.

Help! What am I doing wrong?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:14 AM »
Seems like cart can not make save file. Cart make save files when you change the game. May be some problems with cart or with console. Would be useful if you will say exact error code. ERROR:0x??

Offline brokenharbour

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 04:06 AM »
Error:0x65
SD IO Error

Hope this helps, console should be ok, never had problems with it before, SD card works in my other overdrive for Genesis...

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 02:30 PM »
You may send cart to me for check/repair, but it looks like sd card compatibility problem. Usually it fixes by sd card replacing, but if you already tried another sd card...

Offline brokenharbour

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 04:26 PM »
So after going through 7 SD cards, and still having the problem, I decided to format them all and load the overdrive OS using a windows computer (I'm a Mac User) and 6 of them failed, but an ancient Class 4 8GB no name card seems to work.  Weird.  It seems the Super Everdrive is just really fussy with the SD card you use.