Author Topic: Sorting Issue  (Read 2689 times)

Offline xadox

• View Profile
Sorting Issue
« on: May 05, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Is there maybe a sorting issue in v11.1? Somehow the files are not 100% right sorted.

Instead of:
  • Mega Man 1
  • Mega Man 2
  • Mega Man 3
Its:
  • Mega Man 3
  • Mega Man 1
  • Mega Man 2
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:56 PM by xadox »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sorting Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Only first four symbols used for sorting

Offline xadox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:39 AM »
Thx for the quick response.

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Apologies for the necromancy of this thread...

Well this answered a question that had me puzzled. Is there any way of having the N8 use the entire title for sorting? I don't even care if it slows down indexing.  :-X
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Apologies for the necromancy of this thread...

Well this answered a question that had me puzzled. Is there any way of having the N8 use the entire title for sorting? I don't even care if it slows down indexing.  :-X
File sorting on everything I suspect would be far, far too slow on the NES processor.  It's already pretty slow just working on the first four characters.  The easier way to do this is to use a FAT sorter, or remove the games and copy them back on from scratch.  Windows is usually pretty good about putting them on in alphabetical order.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 08:25 PM »
File sorting on everything I suspect would be far, far too slow on the NES processor.  It's already pretty slow just working on the first four characters.  The easier way to do this is to use a FAT sorter, or remove the games and copy them back on from scratch.  Windows is usually pretty good about putting them on in alphabetical order.
Ah good tip. I'll look into this, thanks!

edit: best solution was just deleting and recopying the files over and letting windows do the sorting like you said. I'll just do this from now on. I don't see myself adding games now that I have my favorites on the cart.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:22 PM by OneBagTravel »

Offline Toomy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Hi all Just got an Everdrive N8 today. Works great but when I scroll through the gamelist half of the games i put don't show. How can I fix this? I used a 2GB card I had ying around and formatted the SD card in FAT32.

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Hi all Just got an Everdrive N8 today. Works great but when I scroll through the gamelist half of the games i put don't show. How can I fix this? I used a 2GB card I had ying around and formatted the SD card in FAT32.
The OS can only view 256 roms in one folder. Break up the ROMs into folders like
A-H
I-P
Q-Z

From the FAQ thread:
Note: Everdrive N8 only supports 256 files per folder, so you may need to create subfolders (A-Z, 1-99, etc.)
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2554.0

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 04:35 PM »
My advice would be to use an old school fat file sorter. That's what I was using before the everdrive n8 had file sorting implemented and work beautifully. It will sort the file at the file system level. There is a few if you google for it but I think the one I used in the past is called Fat Sorter (https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/FAT-Sorter.shtml).

And if you want to split your rom by letter to avoid the file limit, I have made a quick batch script that will do that in a few second. You put it in the folder where all your roms are and double click it. It will create all the lettered folder and move the rom in the right folder. You can get it at my site (http://dbwbp.com/index.php/miscmenu). There is also another batch script I made to sort by region. What I personally did was sort them first by region using my region sorter script and I then ran the alphabetized folder script in each region's folder to split them by letter. Once that was done, I ran the fat sorter and everything was nicely sorted and in alphabetical order. Let me know if you have question:)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:44 PM by SkinnyV »