Author Topic: Everdrive N6 Dendy Junior/Magistr Green Screen  (Read 9019 times)

Offline Peamur

• View Profile
Everdrive N6 Dendy Junior/Magistr Green Screen
« on: May 09, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Hello,

I have a new famiclone named Dendy Junior (with more then 100 games preinstalled) and my Everdrive N8 (Famicom) doesn't work.
I only get the green screen. I also tried resetting.

Power adapter is pretty small and says 9v 180 ma (polarity (+) (. (-)), but I also tried another adapter with 9 v and 12 v with max 450 ma, same polarity.
The original NES/SNES/Genesis adapters, which I also have, have another polarity, won't work either.

Am I right, that it doesn't work because I am using a clone? (is it common for clones to get green screens?)

Doesn't matter, with or without SD card inserted, only the green screen.

There is even no flashing light on the everdrive (I saw in a youtube video, that a led on the everdrive flashes a couple of times when powered on). Maybe not enough power with only 9V 180 ma?

I also have a NES, but without the adapter (72 to 60, I am waiting for the shipping) I can't test it. If it doesn't work with it, I guess there is no other option but to send the cartridge back to Igor.

Do you have any experience with Dendy Junior from New Game?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:34 PM by Peamur »

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Everdrive N6 Dendy Junior/Magistr Green Screen
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:21 PM »
You should make mention of where you bought your N8 as well. Anywhere other than what's listed at KRIKzz.com's authorized seller list may warrant you having a clone.

Otherwise, try cleaning out the connectors in your Dendy and start there.

Offline Peamur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I ordered directly from krikzz (shipment 3 weeks :) ).
The console is brand new, I used it only 2 or three times, I can't imagine it needs cleaning. Pre-installed games work fine.
I ordered another power supply EU 9V 1500MA Nagetive Center/Positive Outside, all the same as in the adapter which came with the console, only 1,5 A instead of 180 ma. Curious, if it'll help.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 09:36 PM by Peamur »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Hello,

I have a new famiclone named Dendy Junior (with more then 100 games preinstalled) and my Everdrive N8 (Famicom) doesn't work.
I only get the green screen. I also tried resetting.

Power adapter is pretty small and says 9v 180 ma (polarity (+) (. (-)), but I also tried another adapter with 9 v and 12 v with max 450 ma, same polarity.
The original NES/SNES/Genesis adapters, which I also have, have another polarity, won't work either.

Am I right, that it doesn't work because I am using a clone? (is it common for clones to get green screens?)

Doesn't matter, with or without SD card inserted, only the green screen.

There is even no flashing light on the everdrive (I saw in a youtube video, that a led on the everdrive flashes a couple of times when powered on). Maybe not enough power with only 9V 180 ma?

I also have a NES, but without the adapter (72 to 60, I am waiting for the shipping) I can't test it. If it doesn't work with it, I guess there is no other option but to send the cartridge back to Igor.

Do you have any experience with Dendy Junior from New Game?

Clones changes their hardware pretty frequently. Even if name on the box is same, inside always something new. Some of them working fine, some other not working at all. I guess that problem can be in those embedded games, extra hardware amy conflict with everdrive

Offline Enzo1960

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I know this problem with other famiclones.
I discovered that to make EDN8 to work simply you must remove internal card with preinstalled games. (it is a little board in an internal 60pin slot).

Offline Peamur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Thank you for your answers.
I'll try with another power supply first.
I am sure, the embedded games are not on a separate card, they are already on the mainboard.

It's exactly the same, as in this article: http://shiru.untergrund.net/articles/dendy_twenty_years_later.htm.

I'll let you know if it works with another power supply (9v 1500mA instead of 9v 185ma).

Offline Enzo1960

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:21 AM »
I see. You can try to disable embedded games cutting, from that IC that seems containing roms, power supply pin.

Offline Peamur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Ok, now officially: Dendy Junior aka Magistr with 104 games will not work with Everdrive N8, even with a better power supply.
I tried it with a power supply with 9 or 12 V with 1,5 A (1500 mA). Green screen.

I don't want to try to remove the embedded games, because then I will have a non working console without any games. I will give the console away or keep it as a spare console for kids and will sell the everdrive some time later.

P.S. the everdrive is ok, I tested it with a NES (with a famicom -> NES adapter).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:24 PM by Peamur »

Offline Enzo1960

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 06:08 PM »
You doesn't remove chip with games: simply cut Vcc line (usually pin1); if dont't work you can bridge again line.

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:52 AM »
One thing I found out about the EverDrive N8 is it will sit at a green screen if two pins are wired incorrectly on the cartridge slot, namely CIRAM /CE and /A13.  There are some chipsets which use something known as "OneBus," a special mode added to some NES-on-a-Chip chipsets by VRTech which allows the use of a single 16-bit ROM in place of dual 8-bit ROMs for PRG and CHR.  What I've seen every single Famiclone I've ever come across using OneBus type chipsets do is the following:

-Hard-wire CIRAM /CE (pin 48 on a Famicom, pin 57 on an NES) to Ground
-Wire /A13 (pin 49 on a Famicom, pin 58 on an NES) to what I presume is the OneBus mode selection input (it's active high, meaning if you feed 3.3V into the pin, it will enable OneBus mode, and in this mode, Famicom cartridges do not boot - DO NOT feed 5V to OneBus chipsets as they are made to run at 3.3V, doing so will damage the chip)

This is completely wrong as this wiring is done under the assumption that ALL Famicom and NES cartridges have CIRAM /CE and /A13 bridged together inside the cartridge, but not all Famicom and NES games are like this.  This is particularly problematic when you have a game like Rad Racer II where CIRAM /CE is hard-wired to 5V in the cartridge, since due to the cartridge having CIRAM /CE hard-wired to 5V and the console having CIRAM /CE hard-wired to Ground, you get a short and nothing works.  This also breaks the EverDrive N8.  Peamur, if you can solder, here's what I suggest you do on your clone:

-Cut pins 48 and 49 at the motherboard, leaving enough metal to bend out and solder wires to them
-Solder a wire from pin 49 on the motherboard to Ground
-Optional, but highly recommended: add a 74HC04 to your console wired as follows:
--Pin 1 of the 74HC04 to pin 56 of the cartridge slot
--Pin 2 of the 74HC04 to pin 49 of the cartridge slot on the metal left over from the cut I previously mentioned
--Pin 14 to a 3.3V source
--Pins 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 to Ground

The last step adds some compatibility to your console, but the first two steps will allow the EverDrive N8 to boot instead of stay stuck at a green screen doing nothing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:56 AM by Ace »

Offline mikejmoffitt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 05:47 AM »
You doesn't remove chip with games: simply cut Vcc line (usually pin1); if dont't work you can bridge again line.

no no, that's not okay! Leave VCC connected, and just tie /CE to VCC to disable the chip (tristate all I/O).

Offline al_soft

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 02:35 AM »
One thing I found out about the EverDrive N8 is it will sit at a green screen if two pins are wired incorrectly on the cartridge slot, namely CIRAM /CE and /A13.  There are some chipsets which use something known as "OneBus," a special mode added to some NES-on-a-Chip chipsets by VRTech which allows the use of a single 16-bit ROM in place of dual 8-bit ROMs for PRG and CHR.  What I've seen every single Famiclone I've ever come across using OneBus type chipsets do is the following:

-Hard-wire CIRAM /CE (pin 48 on a Famicom, pin 57 on an NES) to Ground
-Wire /A13 (pin 49 on a Famicom, pin 58 on an NES) to what I presume is the OneBus mode selection input (it's active high, meaning if you feed 3.3V into the pin, it will enable OneBus mode, and in this mode, Famicom cartridges do not boot - DO NOT feed 5V to OneBus chipsets as they are made to run at 3.3V, doing so will damage the chip)

This is completely wrong as this wiring is done under the assumption that ALL Famicom and NES cartridges have CIRAM /CE and /A13 bridged together inside the cartridge, but not all Famicom and NES games are like this.  This is particularly problematic when you have a game like Rad Racer II where CIRAM /CE is hard-wired to 5V in the cartridge, since due to the cartridge having CIRAM /CE hard-wired to 5V and the console having CIRAM /CE hard-wired to Ground, you get a short and nothing works.  This also breaks the EverDrive N8.  Peamur, if you can solder, here's what I suggest you do on your clone:

-Cut pins 48 and 49 at the motherboard, leaving enough metal to bend out and solder wires to them
-Solder a wire from pin 49 on the motherboard to Ground
-Optional, but highly recommended: add a 74HC04 to your console wired as follows:
--Pin 1 of the 74HC04 to pin 56 of the cartridge slot
--Pin 2 of the 74HC04 to pin 49 of the cartridge slot on the metal left over from the cut I previously mentioned
--Pin 14 to a 3.3V source
--Pins 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 to Ground

The last step adds some compatibility to your console, but the first two steps will allow the EverDrive N8 to boot instead of stay stuck at a green screen doing nothing.

Господа переведите пожалуйста на русский, сам инглишем не владею а из перевода Гугла нифига не понятно.
Тоже столкнулся с проблемой зеленого экрана на новодельном Симбасе тот что с 2500 игр  блоком питания на 5вольт,
Что делал:
Выкинул родной БП.
Распаял 7805 как положено и взял БП на 1А от Сеги.
Завел с 7805 5 вольт на точки питания картриджа.

Один фиг зеленый экран и EverdriveN8 не стартует.

Еще пишут что можно попробовать откатится на старые версии ОС, но где из взять, тут на сайте только 10 и 11 лежат.

Плата у меня вот такая:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:11 AM by al_soft »

Offline Peamur

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Господа переведите пожалуйста на русский, сам инглишем не владею а из перевода Гугла нифига не понятно.

Что я ещё разузнал про Everdrive N8, так это что он будет стартовать с зелёным экраном если два пина на слоте для картриджа неправильно припаяны, а именно пин CIRAM /CE и /A13. Существует несколько чипсетов, которые используют т.н. "OneBus", специальный режим, встроенный в некоторые интегрированные NES чипсеты от VRTech. Они позволяют использовать один 16-битный ром, вместо двойных 8-битных для PGR и CHR. Я заметил, что практически каждый клон, который мне попадался и который использовал этот режим, имел следующее:

- CIRAM /CE (pin 48 на Famicom, pin 57 на NES) припаян к заземлению
- провод /A13 (pin 49 на, pin 58 на NES), который, как я считаю, является включателем режима OneBus (он под напряжением, так что если подать на него 3,3 вольта, он включит режим ObeBus; в этом режиме картриджи от фамикома не будут грузиться - НЕ ПОДАВАЙТЕ на него 5 вольт, так как этот режим работает только с 3,3 вольтами, иначе чип накроется)

И это совершенно неправильно, когда происходит такая спайка (будто на всех картриджах для фамикома и НЕС эти два пина объеденены внутри картриджа). Не все картриджи имеют такую систему! К примеру, в картридже Rad Racer II, где CIRAM /CE припаян к 5 вольтовой подпитке на картридже. Так как в картридже пин припаян к питанию, а на приставке он подключен к заземлению, вы получите замыкание и ничего не будет работать. Так можно сломать Everdrive N8. Если автор умеет паять, то я советую сделать следующее:

- вырезать пины 48 и 49 на материнской плате и оставить достаточно металла, чтобы припаять к ним провода
- припаять провод от пина 49 на материнке к заземлению
- опционально, но крайне не рекомендую: добавить 74HC04 и подсоединить вот так:
--пин 1 с 74HC04 к пину 56 на слоте для картриджа
--пин 2 с 74HC04 к пину 49 на слоте для картриджа на металле слева от того места где отрезали пин (которое я упоминал до этого)
--пин 14 to к источнику 3,3 вольт
--пины 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 и 13 к заземлению

Последний шаг добавит совместимости, но первые два шага будут достаточны, чтобы EverDrive N8 заработал и перестал застревать на зелёном экране.