Author Topic: Snes with a rebuilt audio circuit  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Snes with a rebuilt audio circuit
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:52 AM »
Here's another one of my "for fun!" projects.  I did the documented spdif digital audio mod on my snes mini (works great!).  I avoided doing this mod for ages because I don't have any digital audio hardware (analog is fine).  My solution was I used a cheap ebay spdif to analog converter to get the audio back into analog.  Anyway rebuilding the digital to analog circuit produces different quality analog, I prefer the new audio but I'm curious what other people think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9KKwunk1sI

Yes it's a lot of work to squeeze a little more out of the system but every little bit counts.  Also when you consider how many great games can now be experienced with slightly better audio it really doesn't seem like such a waste of time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:49 PM by Drakon »

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
Re: Snes with a rebuilt audio circuit
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Electrical SPDIF I'm assuming?

Had a listen, but I still prefer the original SNES DA converter. It's really only due to my personal association with the characteristics of the stock analog audio. Every DA sounds different and I've never minded the SNES' analog audio.

There's a higher noise floor on your digital track, it sounds quite pure, but you've got a some noise going on throughout both tracks (easiest to tell at the beginning 2 seconds when here's no music playing yet) that becomes more obvious with the higher noise floor (ie lower signal, in specific, your digital). It's got a slight bit of impeded noise around 14kHz or so. I've heard it most prevalent before with laptops that have bad sound cards and are plugged in with their A/C adaptor... Not sure exactly what causes it, to be honest, but I've run into it 100 times before.

Cool project. If you could get rid of that noise, I'd certainly have another listen. Might even change my vote.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:40 AM by Grambo »

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:46 AM »
I quickly boosted the EQ around 14kHz with a moderate Q on your track.
It should be painfully obvious what I'm referring to now. You've been warned!  :)

https://mega.co.nz/#!VJRXWSTZ!FT15YxakzsQal7TV4lDGA2z4QM8EiQGdGSWwRrunLI0

(It has some other unwanted harmonics too, but I didn't feel the need to get TOO carried away)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:48 AM by Grambo »

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Better video uploaded, now with the stereo separation in the same direction haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9KKwunk1sI

Yeah I prefer the higher ceiling.  At this point the difference isn't massive so I can understand people preferring one or the other.  Ignore that added noise I have no clue what that is, but it's not present on my stereo just my captured recordings.

Also downloading with this link you provided doesn't work.  It says it's 100% downloaded but won't let me save and won't play the file.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:12 PM by Drakon »

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:19 PM »
It's so clean.
Definitely prefer the new digital with the newer, more accurate comparison.

Ignore that added noise I have no clue what that is, but it's not present on my stereo just my captured recordings.
Yeah, I knew right away it wouldn't be coming from your SNES. I've only ever heard it with computer based ADCs before.

Not sure why that link doesn't work. The new Mega has been kinda crappy so far.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:25 PM by Grambo »

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:29 AM »
It's so clean.
Definitely prefer the new digital with the newer, more accurate comparison.

Ignore that added noise I have no clue what that is, but it's not present on my stereo just my captured recordings.
Yeah, I knew right away it wouldn't be coming from your SNES. I've only ever heard it with computer based ADCs before.

Not sure why that link doesn't work. The new Mega has been kinda crappy so far.

The difference still isn't as good as I'd like it.  To get the best possible snes audio you'd need to remove the interpolation but that's all done inside the snes audio chip so you'd need a fpga replacement for the chip.  Still this was a fun project with better results than I expected.  And I got to meet someone who appreciates this sort of thing which is awesome!