Author Topic: Advice on 3DS flash cards  (Read 13681 times)

Offline yoloswag420

• View Profile
Advice on 3DS flash cards
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:37 PM »
Hi All,

I have a dstt for my old DS LITE. I love the thing but the system is way too small for me now (my hands are cramped!!!). I was thinking of upgrading to the biggest baddest new 3DS that I can get (I believe the "New" 3DS XL). I'm more interested in playing ORIGINAL DS GAMES, so 3DS compatibility is not an issue for me. I will play 3ds games however, but I will use the originals (for fear of being banned from online).

ANYWAY, I'm looking for a card to play ORIGINAL DS GAMES on the "new" 3ds. What are my options ? I've done some browsing and I really don't know which is the best option for me. Any advice would be great, thanks !

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
Re: Advice on 3DS flash cards
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Well I'm a Supercard fan so I have to say SC DSTwo. I was using my DSTwo on the 3DS for a couple years and AFAIK they have been VERY good about getting out fixes every time a 3DS firmware update "breaks" the card.

But something else you might consider, if you can handle the color ... you can get a "Metallic Rose" DSi XL on Nintendo's online store right now, brand new, for $74.99.

link.

That was my solution to the DS flashcart situation, though I bought my DSi XL a few years ago when they were being sold off at major stores for $99. No firmware update hassles to worry about, and the display is superior and larger than the 3DS's handling of DS games.

I have avoided the 3DS flashcart scene altogether. It's gotten too messy and troublesome to stay on top of it all. Or maybe I'm just getting too old. Softmodding my Wii was probably the last time I do a 'softmod' ... though I have considered getting a WiiU and doing the same to it just to get Wii and Gamecube over HDMI instead of component.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:15 PM by Hanafuda »

Offline olsenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 06:20 PM »
The Gateway 3DS works, not only on the 3DS, but also can be used to play actual 3DS ROMs. However, while it supports all 3DS/3DS-XL consoles, it apparently only supports the "New 3DS" (XL or regular) up to a certain firmware version, and may be buggy. I use this card on my regular 3DS and it works fine.

There is also a card called the Sky3DS which has similar functionality. I am uncertain of its compatibility with the newest hardware, so look carefully before ordering

Offline Jiro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 08:19 AM »
He asked for a card that works to play original DS games.  Most of those were blocked except for the DSTWO and certain R4 cards.

However, hacking 3DS mode will let you install things that are used to unblock DS flash cards, so every DS card will work.

Gateway works by using an exploit.  Exactly which exploit it uses depends on your system and firmware version.  New 3DS requires a rare game (Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time, and Ocarina of Time also requires a way to get a hacked savefile into the cart.)  Original 3DS and 3DS XL use other exploits.  Gateway only works on firmware up to 9.2, although it can load an emulated version of later firmware.

Sky3DS just exactly simulates a real cart.  So it works on any firmware, but it can't play homebrew, out of region games, 3ds eshop games, or run other hacks like the one you need to get blocked DS cards to work.

There are now custom firmwares available which have some of the functionality of Gateway without having to buy anything.  You still need to have firmware 9.2 or less and you still need the rare game if you are on a New 3DS.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 04:08 AM »
Here's my advice. Go support the video game industry by BUYING the games, instead of pirating them onto horribly made cheap Chinese made flash carts.  ::)
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline yoloswag420

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 10:48 PM »
He asked for a card that works to play original DS games.  Most of those were blocked except for the DSTWO and certain R4 cards.

However, hacking 3DS mode will let you install things that are used to unblock DS flash cards, so every DS card will work.

Gateway works by using an exploit.  Exactly which exploit it uses depends on your system and firmware version.  New 3DS requires a rare game (Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time, and Ocarina of Time also requires a way to get a hacked savefile into the cart.)  Original 3DS and 3DS XL use other exploits.  Gateway only works on firmware up to 9.2, although it can load an emulated version of later firmware.

Sky3DS just exactly simulates a real cart.  So it works on any firmware, but it can't play homebrew, out of region games, 3ds eshop games, or run other hacks like the one you need to get blocked DS cards to work.

There are now custom firmwares available which have some of the functionality of Gateway without having to buy anything.  You still need to have firmware 9.2 or less and you still need the rare game if you are on a New 3DS.

Thanks for the reply. I want a DS flash card that will run in the new 3ds. I just tried my old DSTT and it didnt detect it. Like I said, I am looking for something that won't obstruct my current gen 3ds experience. I intend on playing online, buying 3ds titles from the eshop, etc. What I want to do is play old ds (original not 3DS) games off a flash card on the new ds.

I just purchased the NEW 3ds this week and it's firmware is all upgraded. I should have just purchased a DS XL instead if no card is compatible :(

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 09:11 PM »
theres a new 3ds flashcart called sky3ds that looks great =)

Offline Jiro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 10:21 AM »
The R4i gold and the DSTwo work as DS flashcarts on a 3DS.  Note that R4 is a name that a lot of clone makers use and you don't want to get the wrong kind.

If you hack the 3DS you can use any DS flashcart.

Offline maxidea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 11:09 AM »
In my opinion, to play DS games on new 3DS console, the Dstwo flashcard may be the best choice. You can get access to it from many sites. I have been using it for some long time.
Other choices are the R4i gold 3ds, R4i gold pro and so on.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:11 AM by maxidea »

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 03:35 PM »

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 04:28 PM »
The Sky3DS doesn't play DS games.

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 05:43 PM »
The Sky3DS doesn't play DS games.

I didnt know about that, good to know =)

Offline maxidea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 10:06 AM »
My advice would be the r4i flashcarts which support ds games on 3DS/DS/DS lite, such as r4i gold 3ds, r4i gold pro and r4i sdhc dual core. I have chosen the r4i gold 3ds out of them for my n3ds. If I remember correctly, I got it from max-console.com  they offer free memory card and shipping speed is fast.