Author Topic: Changing Mappers, Camerica Games  (Read 7473 times)

aloram

Changing Mappers, Camerica Games
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:33 PM »
In the topic linked below, the first post says, "Many Camerica games (Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy, Micro Machines, Ultimate Stuntman etc.): many of these games show glitched graphics like there are some mirroring problems and some of them just crash/freeze at random moments. Fortunately, when you change mapper to mapper 2 in headers, most of the games work just perfectly fine but still, there's some problem with mapper 71 (Camerica) implemented."

How do I go about changing the mapper for one of these games? Is it something I can do on the Everdrive? If not, does anyone have the modified ROMs? Thanks.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=959.0

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: Changing Mappers, Camerica Games
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:46 PM »
i use nestopia emulator and edit the mapper info. there are probably other tools for the job but nestopia works for me and is an easy job.
 regarding the camerica games. i could easily cahange the mapper info to mapper 2 on these games which i will probably do as a temp measure but would the games not run better using the proper mapper? or do the games work 100% perfectly using mapper 2?

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 04:10 AM »
Changing mappers isn't enough to fix these problems. Most cases is just a problem of someone assigning the wrong iNES mapper number. Sometimes you have to change fundamental parts about the game such as addresses, mirroring, an possibly having to reprogram the ENTIRE game.

Also that post is NOT a good idea to go by as that post is from 2 whole years ago. Mapper 71 works on the latest version of the OS with save state support, and those games SHOULD be assigned to mapper 71 iirc according to nesdev as it's a Camerica/Codmasters mapper.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:13 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 06:38 AM »
i did not know that mapper 71 was working correctly when i replied. i have not changed any mapper 71 games to mapper 2 and was only going to try it if i needed to to increase compatibility. if all is working now with mapper 71 on the latest OS then all is well i guess.
 i just have not got around to trying all the games so i didn't know what was fixed tbh. so many games to play old and new and not enough time to play them all :(
 i gather since aloram was having problems with mapper 71 games he/she should update to the latest OS and try them again using mapper 71 instead of mapper 2.

aloram

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 03:32 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input. I have the latest OS installed and the latest No-Intro ROM set, and both Micro Machines and Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy don't work correctly, with tons of glitching. I haven't tried other CodeMasters/Camerica games yet, but the problem clearly hasn't been resolved yet.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 04:48 PM »
ahh i see... then does micro machines and fantastic adventures of dizzy both work fine using mapper 2 without any glitches? if so at least making a dupe of these two games with the ines mapper being set to mapper 2 would be a temporary fix until mapper 71 is improved.
 i don't see the point if there are still glitches using mapper 2.
 i'm sure i read a while back that krikzz is planning a N8 OS update, hopefully improved mapper 71 support will be included.

aloram

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 12:43 AM »
Krikzz, do you plan to fix this mapper issue in a future OS update? Thanks.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 03:26 PM »
They still show glitches with mapper 71 with the latest OS v12, so assign all of them to mapper 2 except for Fire Hawk.  I have noticed not a single glitch using mapper 2.

Mapper 2 was the old way they were assigned, and the hardware works identically for all but Fire Hawk. 
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 05:14 PM »
does fire hawk work ok on mapper 71 then ?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 12:17 AM »
does fire hawk work ok on mapper 71 then ?

Yup.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

aloram

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 05:54 PM »
Has anyone gotten Micro Machines to work correctly after changing the mapper? Mine still glitches even after changing it. (It's a no-intro ROM, by the way.)

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 07:17 PM »
i tried all the games i converted to mapper 2 and they all work. ultimate stuntman seemed to be working perfectly for the few mins i played.
 micro machines was working fine but the screen did seem a little ropey with a little chopping at the bottom but nothing that spoils gameplay.
 with all the other games i treid a few had some wierd display look about them , like the image from scanline to scanline was slightly displaced causing a sort of blur but all games were playable.
 from my testing i would not say that the camerica games are properly fixed using mapper 2, they work but some don't look right.
 i also tried the quatro titles which use mapper 232 and some of the games contained within those packages have that weird scanline display blurring effect also. go dizzy go for example, so not only are these canerica games naughty on mapper 71 but also naughty on 232, unless that display issue i experienced is my setup.