Author Topic: HDMI HidefNES Board Incompatibility  (Read 11154 times)

Offline RetroDanâ„¢

• View Profile
Re: HDMI HidefNES Board Incompatibility
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 02:24 am »
Excellent, Krikzz.  I look forward to a real, solid answer on the HiDefNES/Everdrive N8 issue.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 01:13 am »
Where are you guys getting the HDMI mod kit? I've been trying to find the place to buy them, but no luck  :(
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - PS IO - Saturn Satisfier

Offline justindarc

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2015, 04:02 am »
Where are you guys getting the HDMI mod kit? I've been trying to find the place to buy them, but no luck  :(

GameTech.us sold a number of pre-modded top-loader NES and AV Famicoms recently. I believe the auctions were going to be used to fund the production of the next batch of boards.

Also, really glad to hear krikzz got one. I can't wait to use my Everdrive in HD!! \o/

Offline Fallen Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2015, 08:55 am »

GameTech.us sold a number of pre-modded top-loader NES and AV Famicoms recently. I believe the auctions were going to be used to fund the production of the next batch of boards.

Also, really glad to hear krikzz got one. I can't wait to use my Everdrive in HD!! \o/

You can do it right now, just need to use version 3. Obviously there are features that are missing and it is old versions of the mappers (some of which have been replaced for better support), but it works for a decent number of games. And if you watch GametechUS's last video on the Everdrive N8, he found that 2 of the mapper files in particular seem to be part of the issue.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:59 am by Fallen Kell »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2015, 08:33 pm »
Seems like problem in reset detection. N8 check if M2 signal freeze, after that cart lock itself and waiting till cpu will read reset vector. While cart locked, all write operation denied. With hdmi mod cart stay locked forever, by some reasons fpga does not detect reset vector reading. Should not be hard to fix and make some other way to unlock cart, but still wonder why it happens at all. Or may be cart in permanent reset state, i not sure at the moment. May be HDMI board doing something with M2, if phase of M2 longer than 400ns, carts will detect reset
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:00 pm by KRIKzz »

Offline moobs

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 01:38 am »
Should not be hard to fix and make some other way to unlock cartt

looking forward to the updates Krikzz :)
Own: Mega Everdrive v1.0 - Turbo ED v2.0 - EDN8

Offline mikejmoffitt

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 01:45 am »
There's always the old-school reset RC-circuit-with-comparator. Better than nothing as a hotfix.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2015, 05:38 am »
Seems like problem in reset detection. N8 check if M2 signal freeze, after that cart lock itself and waiting till cpu will read reset vector. While cart locked, all write operation denied. With hdmi mod cart stay locked forever, by some reasons fpga does not detect reset vector reading. Should not be hard to fix and make some other way to unlock cart, but still wonder why it happens at all. Or may be cart in permanent reset state, i not sure at the moment. May be HDMI board doing something with M2, if phase of M2 longer than 400ns, carts will detect reset

It appears that both the EverDrive and the Hi Def NES are using the M2 signal for cross purposes.  Here is what kevtris has to say about it on the NesDev forum:

Quote from: kevtris
yeah, I think it has to do with how I am detecting PAL/NTSC. I let the CPU run a little while and check M2. Then I reset it again. Traced through CV3's startup on the NES while it booted and I can see why it crashes.

It's setting some things up, then CLI'ing and immediately jumping into the IRQ routine. But the problem is the IRQ routine's pointer has not been set up yet so the CPU jumps off in the weeds.

Using a game genie fixes it because the MMC5 isn't enabled on this first exploratory reset. Only when you start the game does it enable the MMC5, so it works fine.

The fix will be to detect PAL/NTSC via the PPU instead, since that continues to run even in reset. (the CPU does not output anything in reset, which is why it must be taken out of reset to detect PAL vs. NTSC).

and :

Quote from: kevtris
Been working at the problem games on the adapter.

I have received a bunch of carts from people (thanks!) and here's what I figured out:
. . .

Bandit Kings of Ancient China - works OK on nt and normal NES

Castlevania 3 - I can get this to work by holding reset low for awhile on powerup, so I think I can get this working. I played through the first level no problem once it started. I tested this through a game genie and reproduced it working there as well.

Legend of link - (homebrew/hack/etc) This exhibits similar problems to CV3, where it worked through a game genie and with holding reset low. Turns out it's MMC5 as well so that explains part of it. Once the game starts, it seems OK until you're actually in the game, then the graphics are kinda hosed up and it may crash. Still investigating why this is.

Nothing else yet on the everdrive issue, I don't know any more yet on how redoing the mappers is going.

So I think I am getting close to a fix on this by stretching out reset a little more.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2015, 05:31 pm »