Author Topic: Gimmick / Sunsoft 5B Audio?  (Read 72302 times)

Offline narshe

• View Profile
Re: Gimmick / Sunsoft 5B Audio?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 08:31 PM »
I promised a solution!
http://mikejmoffitt.com/articles/0043-ym2149-gimmick.html

That is absolutely amazing Mike! Unfortunately I don't want to mod my NES. I am acquiring a real copy of Gimmick for the Famicom.

What I really would like is save state capabilities. I am going to be forced to buy the Powerpak because of this.

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 02:08 AM »
TheFox's FME-7 mapper has no expanion sound: http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/projects/nes/powerpak/powermappers/

So, there's really no working implementation of Sunsoft 5B + Savestates on the PowerPak either, currently. I think both the Everdrive and the PowerPak are probably capable of it though, just somebody needs to write the software.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 05:50 AM »
TheFox's FME-7 mapper has no expanion sound: http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/projects/nes/powerpak/powermappers/

So, there's really no working implementation of Sunsoft 5B + Savestates on the PowerPak either, currently. I think both the Everdrive and the PowerPak are probably capable of it though, just somebody needs to write the software.

Loopy's Sunsoft 5B mapper does support expansion audio, although the output is a bit quiet compared to the internal audio of my NES.  http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/NES/
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 08:14 AM »
Yeah, I use loopy's mappers for PowerPak (because I don't care about save states), and the 5B audio from that is fine. For me the levels aren't an issue because I did the audio mod with a 100k potentiometer instead of a fixed resistor. so I can adjust the volume to taste, easily.

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Hello guys,

before you all start to mod your NES/Famicom now with a real YM2149, I'd suggest to give the following update a try:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00145453115459926249

The file 069.zip contains my own Sunsoft 5A/5B/FME-7 Mapper implementation. Unzip it, place it into the EDFC/MAPS directory (replacing the old 069.RBF), and enjoy! :-)

Since it is a completely new implementation, there still might be bugs and inaccuracies, so any bug reports are welcome. This update not only affects Gimmick!, but also other Sunsoft games aswell (like Batman - Return of The Joker).

Thanks goes out to krikzz for helping and providing all the necessary information to make your own Everdrive N8 FPGA bitstreams.

Oh, and of course: USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Best regards,

Necronomfive

PS.: does anyone of if there is any kind of Sunsoft 5B test ROM which tests the YM2149 features Gimmick! doesn't use?

Offline neorocker7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 10:04 PM »
holy crap! amazing!

i just tested this out VS my cart copy of Gimmick. the star and jump sounds are a little bit off, but this is still absolutely phenomenal! thank you!

Offline Cartina

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 10:29 PM »
I assume this requires a famicom AND famicom ED?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:37 PM by Cartina »

Offline Ryoandr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 12:27 AM »
Thanks goes out to krikzz for helping and providing all the necessary information to make your own Everdrive N8 FPGA bitstreams.
does this mean we might see more updated mappers ? That would be tremendous news

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 01:09 AM »
i just tested this out VS my cart copy of Gimmick. the star and jump sounds are a little bit off, but this is still absolutely phenomenal! thank you!

Thanks for your report, you are right!

Here is an improved version:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=26521450545492456899

The mapper is currently being tested on my AV Famicom, so I have no idea how the sound output is on an original Famicom / modded NES.

Actually, the sample FPGA project has been present a long time on krikzz page, so I am quite surprised that nobody else has been doing this so far.

But I am glad that others find this useful aswell. ;-)

Best regards,

Necronomfive

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 04:35 AM »
is there any chance krikzz could add any mapper improvements into his official OS releases?
 i mean if this sorta thing takes off and we get more people in the know improving mappers it would be easier if everything was included in one package rather than having to add custom mappers ourselves.
 sure as of now we don't have lots of custom mappers being made for the everdrive but maybe this sort of thing will happen more often in the future.

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 11:12 AM »
When this sort-of beta testing phase is finished, krikzz gets my project files so he can include it in any official OS update, or make changes in case of new HW revisions, etc.

Right now, what would be nice would be:

-> Feedback from original Famicom / modded NES users
-> Some Sunsoft 5B sound reference running on real HW which uses the envelope and noise functions
-> Feedback from people noticing glitches or anomalies in other Sunsoft games using Sunsoft 5A/5B/FME-7 mapper

Best regards,

Necronomfive

Offline newkind

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 12:36 PM »
Original Famicom user here.

First of all thank you for the mapper! :) I just gave a brief test to Gimmick! and Batman.

Batman - no issues noticed.

Gimmick! - once, at the end of the stage 1, whole screen got messed up graphics for 1-2 seconds and after that everything went back to normal
Also noticed weird scanlines on some objects (pictures below), but this can be my LCD aswell so not sure if that's normal. They are appearing depending on the movement -
if I'd do a one more step they'd be gone, and back when moved a little bit further.

Sound seems to be fine, I haven't noticed any delays.

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 03:34 PM »
The scanlines seem to be a result of your LCD deinterlacing algorithm on flickering sprites. And sprite flickering is a pretty common technique used on the Famicom/NES due to the limitation of 8 sprites per scanline (the missiles are made of 2 sprites, and together with the worm, the sprite limit is exceeded).

But it's good to hear that the sound mix seems to be okay on an original Famicom. I vaguely remember that there are differences in the way both consoles mix the audio output together, and I just want to make sure that the extra channels have the correct volume on both consoles.

Thanks and best regards,

Necronomfive

Offline narshe

• View Profile
Gimmick / Sunsoft 5B Audio?
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Does this mapper include save states or just sound?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 05:01 PM »
No, it includes "just" sound. Save states have no priority for me.