Author Topic: Gimmick / Sunsoft 5B Audio?  (Read 73341 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Gimmick / Sunsoft 5B Audio?
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2015, 10:42 PM »
OK, it should be about identical to the real cart then.

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2015, 01:22 AM »
I have not heard the game an on original cart, but the Infinite NES Lives cart uses the same yamaha sound chip that is incorporated into the Sunsoft 5B mapper. Compared to the repo cart I have, the sound is very close, just a little lower volume.  I only know this because I play A LOT of Gimmick! I think most people with by VERY happy with this solution. Hopefully Krikzz will incorporate this into the next Os.

As for powerpak audio, I don't have one so I can not compare. I can ask a friend to make a video though. All we need now is save states for the mapper, so I can get some practice in on the harder strats of the game.
I've got a repro cart on the way so I could compare audio between PowerPak, Everdrive, and Yamaha repro.

Offline Smashbro29

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2015, 08:41 AM »
So this isn't an issue with the Famicom or is it?

I'm getting the Famicom cart for my Famicom and I'm unsure.

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2015, 09:02 AM »

Famicom has native support for the expansion audio so you're good, assuming it's a real Gimmick. ;D

Offline Smashbro29

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2015, 09:06 AM »

Famicom has native support for the expansion audio so you're good, assuming it's a real Gimmick. ;D

Ok assume all I have is the rom, the N8 and an AV Famicom. Am I set?

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2015, 09:15 AM »

Well you said "the Famicom cart" so I assumed you meant the game. Be sure to install the updated sound mapper posted above in the appropriate folder.

Offline Smashbro29

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2015, 09:52 AM »

Well you said "the Famicom cart" so I assumed you meant the game. Be sure to install the updated sound mapper posted above in the appropriate folder.

I don't understand much of what's going on, this just seems like the only problem game and I would like to figure out how to get it going before my cart arrives.

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2015, 10:07 AM »

I don't understand much of what's going on, this just seems like the only problem game and I would like to figure out how to get it going before my cart arrives.
You will need to download the OS for Everdrive N8 and install to the root directory of the microSD card. Then take the Sunsoft mapper file posted in the OP of this thread, and drag it into the folder that contains the mapper files. All files must be unzipped. If you get a .zip, you'll need to extract it first. When prompted, select "yes" to overwrite the old file with the new one.

Next, create a new folder for your ROMs. These have a .nes extension. If you don't know where to get them, use a search engine but don't post requests here. It is not recommended to dump tons of ROMs in the root directory. If you have more than 250 ROMs, you'll need to split them into separate folders since the Everdrive software cannot read more than 252 files/folders per directory. I generally use alphabet but you can also manually create folders to sort games by genre, region or any other metric you choose.

Hope this helps.

Offline Smashbro29

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2015, 10:30 AM »

You will need to download the OS for Everdrive N8 and install to the root directory of the microSD card. Then take the Sunsoft mapper file posted in the OP of this thread, and drag it into the folder that contains the mapper files. All files must be unzipped. If you get a .zip, you'll need to extract it first. When prompted, select "yes" to overwrite the old file with the new one.

Next, create a new folder for your ROMs. These have a .nes extension. If you don't know where to get them, use a search engine but don't post requests here. It is not recommended to dump tons of ROMs in the root directory. If you have more than 250 ROMs, you'll need to split them into separate folders since the Everdrive software cannot read more than 252 files/folders per directory. I generally use alphabet but you can also manually create folders to sort games by genre, region or any other metric you choose.

Hope this helps.

Super helpful man, just breaks down to "mappers are downloads" right?

Offline blizzz

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2015, 04:31 PM »
I made a comparison video between the original cartridge and the Everdrive N8 with adjusted volume. I don't hear a difference. Great job Necronomfive. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vve-jpZhi4g

Edit: Now that I listened to it again, I noticed a slight difference on the map screen. But nothing major.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:36 PM by blizzz »

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2015, 09:42 AM »
I made a comparison video between the original cartridge and the Everdrive N8 with adjusted volume. I don't hear a difference. Great job Necronomfive. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vve-jpZhi4g

Edit: Now that I listened to it again, I noticed a slight difference on the map screen. But nothing major.
Nice! I have the INL Repro with the sound chip in it. Sounds brilliant on my NES but because I have a grounded 10k potentiometer to adjust the audio, it was tricky setting the sound balance without a reference. Powerpak sounded a bit off compared to the repro cart so it's nice that the new Everdrive mapper is now almost perfect.

If I get around to doing a comparison video, I'll have to play my Everdrive in the AV Famicom and the Powerpak and repro cart in the NES. This is due to the fact the CopyUSB mod does not work with Everdrive and I don't yet have the Exp audio wired on my cart adapters.

I also need to test the VRC6 sound. I don't have a copy of CVIII JP, but I've played it on my Powerpak and the stock Everdrive mapper seems a bit off.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2015, 02:05 PM »
TheFox's FME-7 mapper has no expanion sound: http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/projects/nes/powerpak/powermappers/
Does anyone have a mirror for "powermappers-v20.zip"? The page is dead and the file isn't archived on archive.org.

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2015, 06:03 PM »
TheFox's FME-7 mapper has no expanion sound: http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/projects/nes/powerpak/powermappers/
Does anyone have a mirror for "powermappers-v20.zip"? The page is dead and the file isn't archived on archive.org.
I never bothered with TheFox powermappers. I installed the Loopy mapper pack over the official 1.35b mappers. You do get Sunsoft audio but it is less accurate compared to the new and improved Everdrive mapper. Someone from NintendoAge might be able to help. There is an official PowerPak thread.

The original PowerPak audio had better VRC6 compared to stock Everdrive, but now there's an updated VRC6 for Everdrive as well I haven't tested yet.

It's definitely nice having both flashcarts in my arsenal.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2015, 05:10 AM »
I never bothered with TheFox powermappers. I installed the Loopy mapper pack over the official 1.35b mappers. You do get Sunsoft audio but it is less accurate compared to the new and improved Everdrive mapper. Someone from NintendoAge might be able to help. There is an official PowerPak thread.

The original PowerPak audio had better VRC6 compared to stock Everdrive, but now there's an updated VRC6 for Everdrive as well I haven't tested yet.

I have both too, and I primarily use the N8, so it's not that big of an issue. On the Powerpak, I use both Loopy's mappers and then copy over them with TheFox's old save state mappers where applicable, so I just figured I'd try the most updated version of the save state mappers (aka the "Powermappers"). But of course, by the time I found out they exist (today), the link was long dead. Thanks anyway though, I'll check around NA.

Edit: Thanks for the tip. Found everything I needed to have an up to date PP on NA.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 06:57 AM by mrpopsicleman »

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2015, 01:35 PM »

I have both too, and I primarily use the N8, so it's not that big of an issue. On the Powerpak, I use both Loopy's mappers and then copy over them with TheFox's old save state mappers where applicable, so I just figured I'd try the most updated version of the save state mappers (aka the "Powermappers"). But of course, by the time I found out they exist (today), the link was long dead. Thanks anyway though, I'll check around NA.

Edit: Thanks for the tip. Found everything I needed to have an up to date PP on NA.
Krikzz Everdrive would be almost perfect if he only included support for NSF files. That is the one thing the PowerPak did from day one the Everdrive lacks.