Author Topic: Gimmick / Sunsoft 5B Audio?  (Read 74224 times)

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
Re: Gimmick / Sunsoft 5B Audio?
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Krikzz Everdrive would be almost perfect if he only included support for NSF files. That is the one thing the PowerPak did from day one the Everdrive lacks.
Yeah, that and the N8 also lacks support for Mapper 105 for those out there that wish to go after Thor Aackerlund's score.  ;D

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Krikzz Everdrive would be almost perfect if he only included support for NSF files. That is the one thing the PowerPak did from day one the Everdrive lacks.
Yeah, that and the N8 also lacks support for Mapper 105 for those out there that wish to go after Thor Aackerlund's score.  ;D
Also the mapper for Homebrew World Championships 2012. PowerPak had an updated mapper for the proper timing of 6:21 buried somewhere deep in the PowerPak thread on NintendoAge. DIP switches cannot be modified without updating the mapper.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Also the mapper for Homebrew World Championships 2012. PowerPak had an updated mapper for the proper timing of 6:21 buried somewhere deep in the PowerPak thread on NintendoAge. DIP switches cannot be modified without updating the mapper.
Yeah, it's included in the "ultimate" mapper packs over there now.

Ultimate Mapper Pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vbdj43u2kvu15b/ULTIMATE%20MAPPERS.rar?dl=0
Includes 1.35 b2 mappers, loopy's newest mappers (both the main mappers and the mmc5), then the Powermappers, the NWC mapper fix, and intro module bugfix. No Game Genie codes with Powermappers.

Save State Mapper Pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l312es6z3cibp2/SAVESTATE%20MAPPER%20COMBO.rar?dl=0
Same as Ultimate, but uses Save State mappers instead of Powermappers. Has Game Genie support for Save State mappers, but only can have 1 save state slot instead of 5, and no in-game menu like with Powermappers.

I'm getting way off topic here so I'll hush about the Powerpak now.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:21 AM by mrpopsicleman »

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Yeah, it's included in the "ultimate" mapper packs over there now.

Ultimate Mapper Pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vbdj43u2kvu15b/ULTIMATE%20MAPPERS.rar?dl=0
Includes 1.35 b2 mappers, loopy's newest mappers (both the main mappers and the mmc5), then the Powermappers, the NWC mapper fix, and intro module bugfix. No Game Genie codes with Powermappers.

Save State Mapper Pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l312es6z3cibp2/SAVESTATE%20MAPPER%20COMBO.rar?dl=0
Same as Ultimate, but uses Save State mappers instead of Powermappers. Has Game Genie support for Save State mappers, but only can have 1 save state slot instead of 5, and no in-game menu like with Powermappers.

I'm getting way off topic here so I'll hush about the Powerpak now.  ;)
Looks like I have some updating to do. Kudos to whomever put all this stuff in one place! 8)

aloram

« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2015, 02:37 AM »
I'm interested in doing the expansion audio mod to my NES, so I can use my Everdrive to play Gimmick and hear the extra sound. I plan on using the mod in the link below. I have an NTSC NES, and I only use my Everdrive N8 (no Famicom cartridges, Powerpak, etc.). Can someone who has done this mod please recommend the proper resistor for my setup? I want whatever sounds closest to the correct sound, of course. Thanks.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/open-hidden-sound-channels-in-nes.html

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2015, 02:42 AM »
I'm interested in doing the expansion audio mod to my NES, so I can use my Everdrive to play Gimmick and hear the extra sound. I plan on using the mod in the link below. I have an NTSC NES, and I only use my Everdrive N8 (no Famicom cartridges, Powerpak, etc.). Can someone who has done this mod please recommend the proper resistor for my setup? I want whatever sounds closest to the correct sound, of course. Thanks.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/open-hidden-sound-channels-in-nes.html
The recommended resistor value is 47k ohm soldered between pins 3 and 9 of the expansion port.

Looking up the resistor color code from the photo above, we see a yellow (4), purple (7) and orange (3) band. This represents 47 followed by three zeros or 47,000 ohms, which is exactly the value originally recommended by Brian Parker of RetroUSB.

I went full custom and used a grounded 10k audio pot for adjustable volume on my NES, but mine is a bit more advanced mod, for system tweakers. For adjustable volume mod like mine, connect one end of the 10k volume pot to ground (pin 2 of the expansion connector) and the cartridge output (pin 9) on the other end. Center pin on the pot goes to the NES mixer input (pin 3). Rotate the pot counter clockwise to decrease the EXP volume (full CCW is effectively muted) and clockwise to increase the EXP volume. Keep the three leads bound tightly together to help minimize noise. I used a 3-pin CPU fan header for quick disconnect and mounted the volume pot with a big red knob above the controller ports on my nintendo. Mine is an audio taper pot and the expansion sound sounds "balanced" at about 2/3 of max volume.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:59 AM by StarDust4Ever »

aloram

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2015, 03:07 AM »
Awesome, thanks. What's the wattage on the resistor?

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2015, 03:10 AM »
Whatever is available at the time. Wattage doesn't matter since you're dealing with such low level signals.

aloram

« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2015, 03:16 AM »
Whatever is available at the time. Wattage doesn't matter since you're dealing with such low level signals.
So this one looks good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PACK-47K-OHM-5-Carbon-Film-Resistors-1-4-Watt-FREE-SHIPPING-/191603887651?hash=item2c9c7b4e23:g:6F0AAOSw~ZdVgGGq

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2015, 04:03 AM »
So this one looks good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PACK-47K-OHM-5-Carbon-Film-Resistors-1-4-Watt-FREE-SHIPPING-/191603887651?hash=item2c9c7b4e23:g:6F0AAOSw~ZdVgGGq
Those are fine yes.

Offline jordiway73

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2016, 01:09 PM »
I tried all 3 versions and the Japan rom and its very quiet compared to the NTSC prototype rom. Correct me if im wrong but shouldn't the Japanese version sound better than the usa version. I just did the 47k mod on my nes and I know its working because before the mod Zelda FDS was missing sounds and after the mod I heard sounds ive never heard before I didn't realize the FDS version of Zelda was so different. The 69 mapper that comes with OS 13 doesn't have the star sound with the japan rom but the modded 69 mapper gives it sound its just really quiet.

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2016, 11:35 PM »
I tried all 3 versions and the Japan rom and its very quiet compared to the NTSC prototype rom. Correct me if im wrong but shouldn't the Japanese version sound better than the usa version. I just did the 47k mod on my nes and I know its working because before the mod Zelda FDS was missing sounds and after the mod I heard sounds ive never heard before I didn't realize the FDS version of Zelda was so different. The 69 mapper that comes with OS 13 doesn't have the star sound with the japan rom but the modded 69 mapper gives it sound its just really quiet.
Interesting. The audio mod on my NES includes a fully adjustable 10k audio taper pot so I can tweak the volume. Depending on if there's an internal resistance inside the cart, the pot could potentially soften the output. Unlike Powerpak, my repro of Mr Gimmick (J) sounds balanced at full volume level. Powerpak audio kind of sounds loud compared to NES chip so I normally tune the pot to about 2/3 level. Sadly I can't test the Everdrive on my NTSC NES because of incompatabilities with the CopyNES mod. My Everdrive N8 is the Famicom version and it's great on my AV Famicom.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:37 PM by StarDust4Ever »

Offline Pixelkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2016, 10:01 PM »
Hi there! Is there any chance of getting the 5B mapper reuploaded by someone? The latest download from necro is unavailable now and I can't find any other download for it for the N8 on Google. :(

Thanks!

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2016, 12:25 AM »
Hi there! Is there any chance of getting the 5B mapper reuploaded by someone? The latest download from necro is unavailable now and I can't find any other download for it for the N8 on Google. :(

Thanks!

The latest N8 OS version should have support for the 5B mapper. But if you really need the Necronom5 version then I can send it to you tonight, as right now I'm at work. PM me and I will send you the link.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2016, 12:44 AM »
The latest N8 OS version should have support for the 5B mapper. But if you really need the Necronom5 version then I can send it to you tonight, as right now I'm at work. PM me and I will send you the link.

The latest N8 OS version of the 5B mapper doesn't have expansion sound. I tried the latest official mapper and some sounds didn't play, unlike with the custom mapper. I attempted to upload the file here, but it said the space was full, despite the file being small enough.