Author Topic: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?  (Read 85580 times)

Offline MyCrunkyBaby

• View Profile
Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:04 PM »
two quick questions, i searched first but hope i didn't miss anything:

1) i noticed on the Everdrive N8 page that a modification is required for expansion audio to work on a NES through a 60 to 72 pin adapter. what does this entail?

2) mapper #85 (Konami VRC7) is listed as not supported. are there plans to support it in the future with support for extra audio channels?

really what i am trying to get at is- will i be able to play ラグランジュポイント on my everdrive N8 in the forseeable future or should i hold out to find an original cart?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:11 PM »
1)I not sure what you want to know
2)I still working over mappers support. I definately can say that mappers support will be improved in near future, but i can't promise any thing about VRC7 sound, at this moment i even did not research it and don't know how complex this thing  was

Offline MyCrunkyBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16 PM »
thanks for responding quickly!

1) i reference this: "Only Famicom can output expansion sound without modification. NES systems require modification to support this feature." what modification does NES system require for expansion audio to work?

2) no problem. there is only one game that ever used it and it is fairly complex. it has 6 channels FM synth (variation of yamaha OPL2) and PRG-RAM and CHR-RAM.

should i have bought a everdrive with USB port to help create VRC7 mapper?

Offline vmhomeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:21 PM »
1) i reference this: "Only Famicom can output expansion sound without modification. NES systems require modification to support this feature." what modification does NES system require for expansion audio to work?

There's a good amount of information regarding the mod online.  It's really not that hard to find.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nes+audio+mod

Offline MyCrunkyBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27 PM »

There's a good amount of information regarding the mod online.  It's really not that hard to find.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nes+audio+mod

sorry, for some reason i thought it was a modification to the everdrive itself

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:45 PM »
thanks for responding quickly!

2) no problem. there is only one game that ever used it and it is fairly complex. it has 6 channels FM synth (variation of yamaha OPL2) and PRG-RAM and CHR-RAM.

should i have bought a everdrive with USB port to help create VRC7 mapper?

USB version is definitely yours choose if you have plans to develop something. It allow to load ROM and fpga configuration quickly from PC

Offline MyCrunkyBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:06 PM »
Is it possible to install USB port by myself afterwards if I order one without a USB port?

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 07:05 AM »
two quick questions, i searched first but hope i didn't miss anything:

1) i noticed on the Everdrive N8 page that a modification is required for expansion audio to work on a NES through a 60 to 72 pin adapter. what does this entail?

2) mapper #85 (Konami VRC7) is listed as not supported. are there plans to support it in the future with support for extra audio channels?

really what i am trying to get at is- will i be able to play ラグランジュポイント on my everdrive N8 in the forseeable future or should i hold out to find an original cart?

Do you speak japanese?  Lagrange point doesn't have a fanslation yet due to a hard time fitting the translated text into the limited romspace.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Is it possible to install USB port by myself afterwards if I order one without a USB port?
in this case you should soldr mini usb connector and FT245 IC

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 01:15 AM »
i was reading up on this, you can mod it to your nes board or if you are using the famicom convertor this might work as well.

nvm, forget this, i jsut read it bit more in depth and it still requires you to mod the insides of your nes, i geuss wiht this method you solder pin 3 with 40, so just doing 3 to 9 sounds like alot less trouble if that works
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:21 AM by stonie »
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:48 AM »
Why would you need a resistor AND a capacitor? All you need is a single wire connecting the pins (which are on opposite sides of the board). That's it as far as the adapter is concerned. Then on your NES you connect a couple of pins with 94k worth of resistance and you're perfectly good.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:51 AM by Redifer »

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34 AM »
ok i get it now i think, it jsut needed 3 to 9 connected for the powerpak cuz that was made for the us nes, but if doing hte famicom route, u would still have to connect the pins right, still don't explain why this picture shows it connected on teh adapter on the same side, maybe it's because it's 3rd party, i'll get it right before i attempt it though lol

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 02:47 AM »
removed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:49 PM by jimmyemunoz »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 03:01 AM »
sorry for the confusion, and ya i found the parts about pin 3 and 9 on the inside of the OG nes. this is a picture of the adapter mod that was brought up. idk whats up with the first pic i posted. this looks really simple though :)

just ordered me one, couldn't resist :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:40 AM by stonie »

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 04:12 AM »
That'll work.

1) Solder a 47kOhm resistor between pins 3 and 9 on the expansion port (inside the actual NES).

It needs to be 94 or even 95k. With 47k the expansion audio is MUCH too loud. 47k may work fine with the wimpy PowerPak but not real Famicom carts or the Everdrive N8.