Author Topic: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?  (Read 85577 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?
« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2013, 10:55 AM »
All the Enio does is enabling expansion audio on your NES (as well as the Famicom expansion port). Without it you wouldn't hear the expansion audio at all. EDN8 is supposedly still not very accurate in emulating any of the expansion audio chips yet. This includes FDS, VRC6 and Sunsoft 5B. So EDN8 is at fault, not ENIO.

If you would try a real Famicom cartridge with expansion audio it would probably be 100% accurate.

Offline ApolloBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2013, 03:06 AM »
EDN8 is supposedly still not very accurate in emulating any of the expansion audio chips yet. This includes FDS, VRC6 and Sunsoft 5B.
I hope that Krikzz focuses on this for the next update. The FDS audio is especially bad since it's not only inaccurate but the pitch is way off.

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2013, 03:27 AM »
EDN8 is supposedly still not very accurate in emulating any of the expansion audio chips yet. This includes FDS, VRC6 and Sunsoft 5B.
I hope that Krikzz focuses on this for the next update. The FDS audio is especially bad since it's not only inaccurate but the pitch is way off.

This. I'm aware Krikzz is working on the GB/GBC Everdrive right now, but for me, the implementation of properly emulated Famicom Expansion sound/ accurate FDS audio is my top request for OS feature updates in the Everdrive line of products.

Second would be the implementation of FM audio for Master System games with the Mega Everdrive. I remember reading about a new emulated solution for the Sega Master System FM chip, so I think it may be quite easy in the future to add via an OS update. There's certainly enough games to warrant it (come on, Phantasy Star, Kenseiden, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Double Dragon, Spellcaster- they all sound awesome with FM sound).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:06 AM by The_Atomik_Punk! »

Offline BlockABoots

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2013, 04:42 PM »
I need to sort something out here. I am wanting to get the Famicom Expanded audio on my Front Loading US-NTSC NES Console which has Tim Worthington's RGBNES PCM mod fitted, i will be using a Everdrive N8 NES version cart on this system also.

Now this NESRGB mod not only adds RGB video to the NES system it also has a rather good rebuilt mono audio circuit (which is better than the original NES audio circuit). To be able to use this NESRGB audio you have to connect CPU pins 1 & 2 from the NES PCB itself to the 2 channel inputs on the NESRGB PCB labeled Channel A & B, as pictured below.....

Because of this rebuilt audio circuit, it has been suggested that rather than using a 44k resistor to bridge pins 3&9 on the Expansion socket of the NES, instead run a wire (with a 22K resistor attached) from pin 9 of the Expansion socket to the 2 resistors on the NESRGB PCB as pictured below....

But what was also used in the above mod, was the mod to the Famicom2NES adapter which bridges 2 pins....

I dont have this Famicom2 NES adapter as im using the Everdrive N8 NES version (not famicom), i have tried the mod (pin 9 to 2 resistors on the NESRGB pcb) along with the Famicom version of Castlevaina 3 and im sure i was not getting any expanded audio!, so im not sure if this method of mod works with the combination of components i have (Front loading NES, NES Everdrive and NESRGB mod)?? Is there a Famicom game that uses exclusively expanded audio so i cant test for sure if this mod method is working??

Any ideas if i should try just bridging pins 3&9 with a resistor on the expansion port?, as i guess this could work as the NESRGB is taking the audio (from CPU pins 1&2) and then rebuilding the circuit inside the NESRGB and outputing the improved audio to the A/V socket (white wire 2 pictures above). Does the expanded Famicom audio get added before CPU pins 1&2 though or after as if its before i guess this mod wouldnt work either??
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:46 PM by BlockABoots »

Offline BlockABoots

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Anyone help with the above post?

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2014, 10:23 PM »
    well it might be easier connetion pins 9 and 3 for the expansion sound. i personally got an enio cuz my front loader is kinda on it's last leg but if i were to do it i would this way, most people use a 47k resistor but 22 might work better for you and the N8 does have a toggle for softer and louder sound from it. the region converter mod for it looked good though

BTW if you got the NES N8 you don't need to mod the cart, it would be set, only if you got the famicom version like me
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline alimadhi

• >:(
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2014, 09:51 PM »
i added 47k resistor but never got extra sound for my ED8 and my castlevania 3 too this my castlevania cartridge

and second thing i cant thank you Krikzz for make mapper 5 support in ED8, I believe you in the future you will make all mapper supports in ED8 Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:17 PM by alimadhi »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Castlevania 3 is for NES and thus doesn't have any extra audio. Akumajou Densetsu has however.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2014, 10:08 PM »
well it might be easier connetion pins 9 and 3 for the expansion sound. i personally got an enio cuz my front loader is kinda on it's last leg but if i were to do it i would this way, most people use a 47k resistor but 22 might work better for you...

Just a heads up, the resistor in that picture is 47 ohms, not 47K ohms. The color code should be yellow purple orange, not yellow purple black.

Offline pon

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2014, 11:48 PM »

Yeah the inaccuracy is not as big of a problem as the bad pitch :( it's a shame to have to mute FDS games.
Hopefully in a future OS update FDS audio will be more refined.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2014, 12:07 AM »
idk i use an enio with a 47k on it, it seems too soft to me most hte time
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2014, 04:03 AM »
Well, with the Everdrive the 47k resistor might be better as the Everdrive external audio emulation is really, really quiet. Using REAL carts, however, 94k is just about right.

If anyone's going to use both Everdrive and real Famicom carts, a SPDT switch will work to handle both resistors.  Switch in one position for 47k for weak sound, and slide switch to other position with 94k for strong sound.