Author Topic: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?  (Read 85575 times)

Offline snstay

• View Profile
Re: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 02:00 AM »
-snip-
I was wondering where you found the information about the top loader audio expansion mod.
I can't remember off the top of my head, but I can tell you it wasn't a perfectly laid-out tutorial. I had some stuff to figure out, through testing. I can tell you this, I have one PowerPak, one 60 to 72 pin adapter, a top loader NES, and a side-loader NES, and I have extended audio channels, on everything...without any adjustments.
Thats cool, i did the mod on my toaster nes. And now my friend wants me to do it to his top loader but i didnt think it was possible.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 03:07 AM »
removed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:51 PM by jimmyemunoz »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 05:04 AM »

Does this help:

@ Drakon It was really hijacking the thread that wasn't considerate. I think your opinion of "someone giving you hell," is far from accurate. I mean seriously? Here is what was said:

blah blah blah

*rolls eyes and continues on with life*

Anyway mission accomplished.  You're no longer at each others throats over what resistor strength sounds best in a nes audio circuit with famicom audio chips.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:12 AM by Drakon »

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 07:55 AM »
*rolls eyes and continues on with life*

Anyway mission accomplished.  You're no longer at each others throats over what resistor strength sounds best in a nes audio circuit with famicom audio chips.

Lol.
*Insert subtle, yet genuine, applause here*

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46 PM »
removed
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 07:04 PM »
I'm not trying to control anything.  But I guess you feel threatened or something?  Maybe you enjoy fighting / bickering with people on forums?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:17 PM by Drakon »

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 07:58 PM »
removed 

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Uhm no "honor was taken" from me.  The "world" doesn't treat me this way, on here it's really just you.  Why should I care about "digging deeper into a hole" with you?  Are you trying to scare me away from standing up for myself?  Like you're one to talk about popularity I don't see you exactly making a lot of friends here.  My point is you should stop bickering over such little things, but you really seem to enjoy doing it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:03 PM by Drakon »

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 09:48 PM »
@Grambo, are you trying to spur this argument? It appears like you might be cheerleading both sides, and that's a dangerous stance to take, be careful.

Perhaps I did a bit. Not my intention. I think these things get a bit carried away, as written text alone hardly conveys true intent. I'm really a rather cheery, friendly, but sarcastic sort who likes getting along with everyone and sometimes that's hard to present without emphasis or inflection in spoken word. You both have been helpful and friendly towards me in the past and I'd like to keep it that way. I'll try to use more tact in future postings, but I'll probably fuck it up here and there, so if you could be so kind, try and keep that in mind.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 09:55 PM »
I'm not bothered at all by grambo.  Jimmey seems to be the one who can't keep his cool too easily.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25 PM »
woot flame war, seriously though, to get back on subject, so is the verdict for the mod going on two 47k resistors, should i solder them together first or should i solder them together on an empty part of the board to make it more secure. just trying to get some opinions here i've never dealth with soldering things and this seems like a small place to start :)
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 10:51 PM »
@stonie

I can't quite make out your last post stonie, but I think you are asking about what to do with the 60 to 72 pin adapter.
With a USA NES side-loader you need to do two mods.
1) Solder a 47kOhm resistor between pins 3 and 9 on the expansion port (inside the actual NES).
2) And If you want audio with actual Famicom games, and the Famicom Everdrive/N8, you have to add a 26-30 AWG wire in the 60 to 72 pin converter, between pin 46 (of the 60-pin Famicom side) and pin 51 (on the 72-pin NES side).
If you have a top loader
1) You don't do the resistor between pin 3 and 9 mod. You need to add a 1.2-2.0 kOhm resistor between pin 51 and audio out.

When I get back home (just away on business) I'm planning on putting a variable resistor in the mix, as per jimmyemunoz's suggestion.

The confusion I believe you're facing is Redifer's opinion on requiring 94k of resistance. 94k resistors are weird and aren't very popular, so it's more practical to achieve that by using 2 x 47kOhm resistors in series...

Series: (results in 94k)
|---47k---|---47k---|

Parallel: (results in 23.5k)
|---47k---|
|---47k---|

However, I'm leaning towards jimmy being right on this one (in which case, you want 47kOhms. Not 94kOhms).
My personal advice is to go ahead and use one 47k resistor... if by chance he's incorrect, the expansion audio will be too loud. In that case, just solder in another 47k resistor in series and see how that works out for you.

This is ALL assuming you're talking about a toaster NES.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 10:53 PM »
In case my ASCII art isn't good enough...

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 11:01 PM »
lol i get that much, i'm more refering to how i should do it not how it will work, i'd use a pot if i intended to use more than the everdrive for the sound exp but i just would rather get a good value and stick with it. it seems simpler too and i'm not expirenced in this so the resistor route seems alot simpler. i have to read read read read to make sure i don't mess this kinda thing up :P

gonna take the nes apart and clean the hell out the connector tonight though, i may new a new connector, been getting hardcore glitches in games after like 5 minutes play and got the green flickering screen a few times. should be fine i think it just need a good hard clean
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:04 PM by stonie »
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 11:12 PM »
lol i get that much, i'm more refering to how i should do it not how it will work, i'd use a pot if i intended to use more than the everdrive for the sound exp but i just would rather get a good value and stick with it.

To clarify, I think my plan is to just use a pot temporarily, find the resistance at the volume I prefer and then proceed to use a fixed resistor (my money's on it ending up at 47k, hah)

As for how...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z507PxcLjs FOR REFERENCE ONLY. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND GOOD CRAFTSMANSHIP, DON'T FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:31 AM by Grambo »