Author Topic: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?  (Read 85578 times)

Offline ed-209

• View Profile
Re: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2013, 06:58 AM »
on a somewhat related note, is it possible to fix the expansion audio on an AV famicom? I don't own one myself (yet) but from what I've read the famicom audio is too soft and when playing a game such as akumajo densetsu the expansion audio overpowers the famicom audio.
The developer (krikZZ) has added a selectable option for two Famicom audio types, combating the volume level differences between the various Famicom systems/motherboard revisions. These two options are coded into the GUI, for easy selection.

oh wow, I didn't know that. that's pretty awesome. thanks for letting me know!

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2013, 07:31 AM »
One thing for sure is that it doesn't sound like the sound recording Krikzz previously posted on a different forum.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:42 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2013, 08:04 AM »
One thing for sure is that it doesn't sound like the sound recording Krikzz previously posted on a different forum.
What you mean?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2013, 08:57 AM »
I mean, you posted a WMA of a direct recording you made of the VRC6 sound (Akumajou Densetsu) on another forum. I think it was either Assemblers Game, Sega-16 or Atari Age, I am not certain anymore. The sound I get in Akumajou Densetsu doesn't sound like that recording at all. I'll try to record it later to show.

Update: Here you go, it actually doesn't sound as bad through the TV speaker (quickly recorded to mic input on old laptop with RCA to 3.5mm adapter). You'll notice at 1:18 that it is  doesn't sount quite right and seem to be missing instruments/note.

http://www.skinnyv.com/misc/EN8_VRC6.mp3
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:06 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2013, 11:59 AM »
But those record was made with EDN8, i can't say something about yours record, quality is too bad

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Krikzz HERE is what Akumajou Densetsu sounds like (real Famicom cart and real Famicom, not AV, not Twin). Please use these files to compare. Notice the part at about :27 into the opening MP3. This will give you a good idea of how the mix levels should be.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:54 PM by Redifer »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2013, 08:35 PM »
But those record was made with EDN8, i can't say something about yours record, quality is too bad

I'm not sure what you mean, it was recorded using the Everdrive N8 straight from the NES sound output. Also you can clearly hear the missing part at 1:18 no matter how it was recorded. How should I record it so you can review the issue?

Edit: I just tried to move my NES closer to my main CPU to record on the Line-In but all I can is IO Error #63. Maybe the everdrive doesn't like my other PSU...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:05 PM by SkinnyV »

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2013, 04:56 AM »
That'll work.

1) Solder a 47kOhm resistor between pins 3 and 9 on the expansion port (inside the actual NES).

It needs to be 94 or even 95k. With 47k the expansion audio is MUCH too loud. 47k may work fine with the wimpy PowerPak but not real Famicom carts or the Everdrive N8.

Just to make it as easy as possible, this is how I did it. I'm not arguing about the K ohms. 47 K ohms sounds good to me, but I'm mildly tone def.

The expansion audio for the FDS isn't working right yet, no matter what you do at this stage. So don't expect that sound to be correct just yet.

However, the expansion audio in Castlevania 3 (Japanese) while not entirely accurate, is decent.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:09 AM by Majestic_Lizard »

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2013, 10:36 PM »
got me all this working last night. alot of it still sounds weird but i'm sure it will come around :)
i'll confirm the wire int he converter on that pic i posted that is four shots in one works here is a shot of the inside of my drive :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:55 AM by stonie »
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2013, 03:01 AM »
After doing this to your front loader NES, does anybody else hear a popping noise after "Loading...." disappears? It kinda sounds like a double pop from an old record player. It happens after loading every game, whether it uses expansion audio or not. It bothered me too much so I put the resistor on a switch, and I only use it when playing a game with expansion audio. Just curious if this happened to anybody else or if it was just me.
Mega Everdrive v1> EDN8 fami> ED64 v3> sd2snes > Flash2Advance

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2013, 05:04 AM »
can't say i have, but i put an enio board on my front loader so that might be why
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline Duo_r

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2013, 05:31 AM »
Got this to work now with my modded NES

Offline Duobix

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Well, I am sure I'll be getting an EN8 in a month or so, but I am sure I'll get the NES version of the cart.
Does the NES EN8 have the audio output on one of the extension pins, or I'd have to mod it myself?

Offline The Iron Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Well, I am sure I'll be getting an EN8 in a month or so, but I am sure I'll get the NES version of the cart.
Does the NES EN8 have the audio output on one of the extension pins, or I'd have to mod it myself?
The NES EDN8 routes expansion audio to the correct pin by design, so no modding is required. You'll still need to mod your console, though.

Offline Duobix

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2013, 10:49 AM »
@The Iron Goat
that's nice, It's the same pin everyone uses here, or it's a different one?
Where can I find such information? THX in advance.