Author Topic: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?  (Read 85758 times)

Offline wyatt8740

• View Profile
Re: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2013, 11:17 PM »
That'll work.

1) Solder a 47kOhm resistor between pins 3 and 9 on the expansion port (inside the actual NES).

It needs to be 94 or even 95k. With 47k the expansion audio is MUCH too loud. 47k may work fine with the wimpy PowerPak but not real Famicom carts or the Everdrive N8.

If you have the 72-pin everdrive, though, 47k sounded better to me. Anyway,
I was able to swap them out quickly like this on my beat-up NES:

After doing this to your front loader NES, does anybody else hear a popping noise after "Loading...." disappears? It kinda sounds like a double pop from an old record player. It happens after loading every game, whether it uses expansion audio or not. It bothered me too much so I put the resistor on a switch, and I only use it when playing a game with expansion audio. Just curious if this happened to anybody else or if it was just me.
Yeah, happens to me too. Not too annoying to me, but yeah, I hear it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:22 PM by wyatt8740 »

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2013, 03:28 AM »
Well, with the Everdrive the 47k resistor might be better as the Everdrive external audio emulation is really, really quiet. Using REAL carts, however, 94k is just about right.

Offline TheBosZ

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2013, 08:14 AM »
Hi everyone :)

I'm from Italy, it is glad to see finally a NES cart that is so good!

I'm about to buy a NES version of N8 for my PAL NES 1st model, but I have to ask
which kind of modification it is required for this model of NES.

Since I will not buy Famicom version and then use the FC/NES adapter, for extra sound channels it is only necessary
the resistor's modification?

Sorry if I repeat this question but I followed the discussion and it is not so clear to understand which kind of procedure for NES N8 and NES console
I have to follow!

Thanks for all your patience and support ;)

Offline The Iron Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Hi everyone :)

I'm from Italy, it is glad to see finally a NES cart that is so good!

I'm about to buy a NES version of N8 for my PAL NES 1st model, but I have to ask
which kind of modification it is required for this model of NES.

Since I will not buy Famicom version and then use the FC/NES adapter, for extra sound channels it is only necessary
the resistor's modification?

Sorry if I repeat this question but I followed the discussion and it is not so clear to understand which kind of procedure for NES N8 and NES console
I have to follow!

Thanks for all your patience and support ;)
If you have the front-loading NES and the 72-pin (NES) version of the Everdrive N8, then you should only need to modify your console.

Offline tsu

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2013, 07:00 AM »
Someone above mentioned the "really, really quiet" expansion audio emulation of the nintendo everdrive.  If that output level is to be changed in future, could it be a menu option, so that those with only one resistor mod won't have to add another to there nes?  I don't know what I'm talking about.  I just plan on buying an ENIO, and not have to solder anything.  But still, the ENIO only has one 47k resistor, doesn't it?  It says it has two, but I sort of read they are on separate pin lines.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2013, 05:28 AM »
There already is a menu option for volume but the highest level is still too quiet. This may be adjusted sometime in the future, hopefully.

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2013, 06:34 AM »
I would love if I could just buy something to attach to the NES expansion and be able to use expansion sound without soldering!!

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2013, 07:44 AM »
I ordered it and it will be here tomorrow. It was only $20 so I figured I'd try it out. I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it works as far as expansion audio on the 72pin Everdrive N8.

Offline robneal81

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2013, 05:53 PM »
I ordered it and it will be here tomorrow. It was only $20 so I figured I'd try it out. I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it works as far as expansion audio on the 72pin Everdrive N8.

I'm sorry, maybe I missed something...what did you order?

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2013, 08:11 PM »

I'm sorry, maybe I missed something...what did you order?

sorry. I ordered the ENIO for expansion sound on the NES.

Offline robneal81

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Can you post a link please?

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Can you post a link please?

You can get one at nintendorepairhut.com under the nintendo accessories section.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2013, 10:38 PM »
That'll work.

1) Solder a 47kOhm resistor between pins 3 and 9 on the expansion port (inside the actual NES).

It needs to be 94 or even 95k. With 47k the expansion audio is MUCH too loud. 47k may work fine with the wimpy PowerPak but not real Famicom carts or the Everdrive N8.

If you have the 72-pin everdrive, though, 47k sounded better to me. Anyway,
I was able to swap them out quickly like this on my beat-up NES:

After doing this to your front loader NES, does anybody else hear a popping noise after "Loading...." disappears? It kinda sounds like a double pop from an old record player. It happens after loading every game, whether it uses expansion audio or not. It bothered me too much so I put the resistor on a switch, and I only use it when playing a game with expansion audio. Just curious if this happened to anybody else or if it was just me.
Yeah, happens to me too. Not too annoying to me, but yeah, I hear it.
ya but if you go this route you might as well just get an Enio exp board, i got that little center peice to hide the board well too
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2013, 10:39 PM »
ya they are cool, the Enio board, it lets you use the 15 pin stuffs from the famicom too lol
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2013, 02:20 AM »
heres a little review from me on the ENIO board.

You have to do a little mod by cutting the 6 tabs that are covering the expansion board

heres a pic of the mod..

after that all you do is pop in the ENIO board, set the everdrive sound mixing options to HIGH in the everdrive option menu and play.

It works perfect and sounds great. The only thing that sucks is that cover won't fit over this thing. So dont be placing your nintendo on the carpet and dont be touching the bottom of your NES while its plugged in. I guess.
Edit: I'm actually going to try to modify the center cover a little bit to see if I can get it to cover this thing. I'll report back.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:02 PM by kmksoulja »