Author Topic: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?  (Read 85667 times)

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 05:26 AM »
i see, i'm going to hold off on the mod for a bit til i know the best option, probly do the wire on the converter, but it would be nice to know the exact resistor needed in advance lol, i'm not a super techy guy myself but i can get the job done :P

can't find 94 and 95ks, geuss i'm going to have to go with 91 or 100k ohm i can find them all over the place. unless you know a better place to purchace them
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:09 AM by stonie »
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 04:10 AM »
Why would you need a resistor AND a capacitor? All you need is a single wire connecting the pins (which are on opposite sides of the board). That's it as far as the adapter is concerned. Then on your NES you connect a couple of pins with 94k worth of resistance and you're perfectly good.

That's a really old mod performed by some random person.  Don't take it too seriously.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 06:30 AM »
removed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:49 PM by jimmyemunoz »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Two 47Kohm resistors are fine. Though I have no idea how that's too quiet when it sounds just like a real Famicom's mixing level. Like I said, it probably works fine for the Powerpak, but not REAL Famicom games which is what I am using to test.

LISTEN. That's with two 47k resistors in series and a real Akumajou de Castlevania 3 cart (or whatever it's called, I just call it the Japanese version of Castlevania 3). I tried it with just one 47k resistor at first and it was very wrong. The NES audio was so quiet that you could barely hear the boss moan when you killed him. Just one 47k resistor is completely wrong if you want to use real carts and presumably the Famicom Everdrive.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:01 AM by Redifer »

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 09:11 AM »
removed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:50 PM by jimmyemunoz »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Well if you can't back up why you think 94kohm is too quiet, please don't mention it. Doing so just does everyone who is trying to mod it properly a disservice. There really is only one correct level, and that's the level a real (original) Famicom mixes at. Please do not give any more misinformation as 47Kohm is just not enough.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 05:46 PM »
removed

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 07:49 PM »
jimmyemunoz, how beneficial do you find your pots on your NESs? I ask since I'm going to mod mine as soon as I get my N8 in and not sure if I want to go with a fixed value or not. I assume you just go by ear, but do you find that value seems to work well for all games?

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 11:57 PM »
removed

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 03:47 AM »
Thanks Jimmy, you call me names and then complain in another thread that people on this forum have become childish? Welcome to the club because you are directly contributing to what you're complaining about. I am not trying to sound like a know-it-all so I will apologize if that's how I'm coming off. I fully admit that my knowledge of this issue was explored here in a thread I started. That and my ears tell me that the 94 or 95Kohm route sounds the closest to the real thing possibly outside of Drakon's method of wiring. I will assert that I am actually quite technical and have installed and tuned many movie theater sound systems in my time. My tuning skills have been complimented without prompt by directors David Llynch (when I showed the movie Straight Story for him) and Benjamin Bratt (when I showed LA Mission for him) as well as other, lesser known filmmakers. I may not know as much about the NES and it's mappers, but that doesn't mean I am an idiot in all other things. So please stop being childish with the name calling.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 05:52 AM »
Whoa, you both are cool guys, it's not a big deal.  I had someone give me hell for posting a schematic for a pc engine s-video mod, I just rolled my eyes and moved on with life.  Even on real famicoms the audio mixing circuits were changed between different pcb revisions.  There really is no "perfect" or ultimate version it's all preference.  I'm so glad I have a a switch on my system for two audio circuit options because I find most games sound perfect on one or the other (especially for stuff that uses audio upgrade chips).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:01 AM by Drakon »

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27 PM »
I hope that you find my response helpful...  :)
Sure have. Thanks buddy. I think I'll just slap a pot in temporarily, find the impedance I want and then use a fixed value. I have a bunch kicking around anyways. Helps that Drakon mentions that even throughout Famicoms, the mixing circuits vary. I'll be using my ears on this one.
I could see myself putting the pot back in, but I already have too many holes in all my consoles, hah.

I had someone give me hell for posting a schematic for a pc engine s-video mod, I just rolled my eyes and moved on with life.
ROFL! Ummmm... who could this mysterious "someone" be?

Offline snstay

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 09:07 PM »
I can't quite make out your last post stonie, but I think you are asking about what to do with the 60 to 72 pin adapter.
With a USA NES side-loader you need to do two mods.
1) Solder a 47kOhm resistor between pins 3 and 9 on the expansion port (inside the actual NES).
2) And If you want audio with actual Famicom games, and the Famicom Everdrive/N8, you have to add a 26-30 AWG wire in the 60 to 72 pin converter, between pin 46 (of the 60-pin Famicom side) and pin 51 (on the 72-pin NES side).
If you have a top loader
1) You don't do the resistor between pin 3 and 9 mod. You need to add a 1.2-2.0 kOhm resistor between pin 51 and audio out.
I was wondering where you found the information about the top loader audio expansion mod.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 11:37 PM »
removed

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 11:56 PM »
removed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:51 PM by jimmyemunoz »