Author Topic: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?  (Read 85761 times)

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion audio mod/VRC7 on NES?
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52 AM »
i jsut read the step 2 part, i thought the pin outs were correct on the converter part. i mean with the powerpak it's made for us consoles so it would have teh fds sound to the proper pinout to begin with but using the everdrive n8 in the converter i would think you'd set up the converter for sound like the regular famicom games because u still have to route it through that unused pin on the converter. i was about to do this tonight so if it is incorrect then i'd like to know.
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Metroid was entirely recomposed for the cartridge format, but the FDS version does primarily use the regular ol' soundchip. Therefore it might sound different though some things like effects and parts of the music might be missing here and there. This might explain it. Try Akumajou Densetsu (JP Castlevania 3). If it sounds like there is a ton of stuff missing then you'll know that your NES doesn't have the mods.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2013, 01:40 PM »
removed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:53 PM by jimmyemunoz »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline robneal81

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Try Akumajou Densetsu (JP Castlevania 3). If it sounds like there is a ton of stuff missing then you'll know that your NES doesn't have the mods.

That's a great idea, I'll try that tonight.  Is there's anything in particular I should listen for? 

I guess I'll do that and just go from there.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13 PM »
look up the extra sound on youtube, doki doki panic is a great game to listen for though, when you kill spirts in it they have a weird scream that is completely different from mario 2 us

Offline ed-209

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39 AM »
on a somewhat related note, is it possible to fix the expansion audio on an AV famicom? I don't own one myself (yet) but from what I've read the famicom audio is too soft and when playing a game such as akumajo densetsu the expansion audio overpowers the famicom audio.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 12:42 AM »
probly wiht the right about of resistance, i can't say too much about it cuz i'm not a very techy person but everything i read points at, higher resister value = softer expansion sound. problem is is where would you stick the thing lol

Offline robneal81

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2013, 12:44 AM »
look up the extra sound on youtube, doki doki panic is a great game to listen for though, when you kill spirts in it they have a weird scream that is completely different from mario 2 us

I just played Doki Doki Panic and as expected, I wasn't getting the extra sounds.

I think I'll wait till the NES Everdrive comes out before I do anything else.  Once that's released, I'll give mine to a friend who has both a Famicom and a NES and buy the NES ED for me.

Then, I'll be back in this thread asking questions :)

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2013, 12:51 AM »
well you can still do a couple things, like open your nes up and check pin 3 and 9 see if a resister is soldered there(there is alot of pics of it on the net to identify by) and if you have that then you have to get your converter modded, if you can get it to stick right and want to test without soldering i guess you could try taping hte wire in the right spot on the converter but i deffinatly wouldn't suggest it on the board i feel it's kinda risky on the converter itself personally but for all i know there could be no risk, i mean you originally put the everdrive in the wrong way and tried to boot it so i doubt the wire barly crossing another pin would cause too much damage. your best option would probly be to check the pins inside the nes but i KNOW you need the converter modded because the pin that uses exp6 isn.t used in the converter, it's just unlinked to anything on both sides

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2013, 09:02 PM »
removed 
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I need to verify what's wrong, I just got my N8 and the extra sound channel sound really weird on Akumajou Densetsu. It used to sound great on my power pak before. The only difference is that I use the N8 with a famicom to nes adapter and I wired the pin for extra audio in it.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2013, 02:05 AM »
removed

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2013, 02:13 AM »
I need to verify what's wrong, I just got my N8 and the extra sound channel sound really weird on Akumajou Densetsu. It used to sound great on my power pak before. The only difference is that I use the N8 with a famicom to nes adapter and I wired the pin for extra audio in it.
You mean VRC6 castlevania or FDS one?

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2013, 02:38 AM »
VRC6 isn't accurate yet, it's a bit off in Akumajou Densetsu.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2013, 05:36 AM »
VRC6. You can hear the extra channel but it sound like it's missing instrument at some point. I'll mess with it later see if it's not the adapter modification (I doubt since it's only 1 wire though).