Author Topic: Dragon's Revenge  (Read 8840 times)

Offline iddod

• www.soundcloud.com/iddod
    • View Profile
    • my music on soundcloud
Dragon's Revenge
« on: February 07, 2013, 05:34 PM »
absolutely loving my megaED (bought from Retro Towers here in the UK, same place i got my TurboED), but has anyone out there managed to get Dragon's Revenge working yet? i've tried every rom i can find on the net, in my various collections, usenet, etc. can't get any to work... i've tried every mode on my modded MD mk1, i've tried every mapper, megakey on/off, in game menu on/off... and frankly i'm stumped... can anyone help? i'm happy to accept that i may simply be unlucky with the rom images i've got, i'm even happy to accept that it may be an incompatible game, but i'd quite like a definitive answer... i'd very much like to hear from just one person who has booted it and confirm the game is, indeed, supported... i'm going barmy with all this searching for just one more rom image  :)
(the annoying bit is that i own two copies of the actual cartridge... i'd just rather play it via the megaED)

cheers chaps, hope someone can help
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:48 PM by iddod »
ED64 : EDN8 : TurboED : MegaED : EDGG : EDGB : MasterED : EDGBA : SuperED

Offline subrom

• View Profile
Re: Dragon's Revenge
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Checked this with my pal md/md2 and get a purple screen with the Goodset roms. Did not fiddle around much with the settings of the everdrive though. But as mentioned here http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=262.0 dragons revenge may be one of the few games that don't work with the everdrive (not yet anyways)  :)

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 06:41 AM »
Use PAR code 00036C:4E71. You can also use a hexeditor to change the byte at offset $36D from $70 to $71. Doing so allows the game to run from flash.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:24 AM »
I put $36D in my Hex editor and it does nothing. It's called Hex Fiend and it must be the worst Hex Editor on the planet. I even "Jump to Offset" and there is no $36D anywhere in the Dragon's Revenge.bin. It simply does not exist. At all.

Downloaded something called 0xED. Sooo much better. Offset changed successfully! Thanks Chilly Willy! Any other games need Hex Editing to be useful with the Mega ED that you know of?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:35 AM by Redifer »

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:58 AM »
I posted a couple other hacks over at Sega-16 some time back. I should probably hunt them down to post of here to make it easier on folks.

EDIT: Another code was for Harry Potter - use the PAR codes

186B52:5345
186B66:5345

They're both needed. Again, you can use a hexeditor and change the words at $186B52 and $186B66 to $5345.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:03 AM by Chilly Willy »

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:48 AM »
removed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:05 PM by jimmyemunoz »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline lord_raymon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 05:20 PM »
Harry Potter
186B52:5345
186B66:5345
They're both needed.
Again, you can use a hexeditor and change the words at $186B52 and $186B66 to $5345.
Chilly Willy, I use the hex editor HxD. This is the procedure I use: first I load the Harry Potter ROM, use the menu "Search," and select "Go To." I enter 186B52, and then enter the digits 5345, and repeat the same exact procedure for 186B66. I still can't get the Harry Potter ROM to run. Further info., I have two sets of zeros at 186B52-186B53, before I enter the digits 5345...it makes an "S" and "E" respectively at that address once 5345 is entered. At 186B66-186B77, I repeat the procedure which gives the same "S" and "E" but at that location it has "5A" and "53" before I enter the digits 5345. Making these changes still results in a black screen, when I tried to boot the ROM, with numerous attempts. Is my method correct? Could you please point me in the right direction, if I'm missing a setting? Thank you.  :)

P.S. I toggled Hard Reset, and it made no change.
       I'm on a Model 1 Sega Genesis, no TMSS.

You got to disable Save States Menu ;D

¿No hablaras español? xD

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:48 PM »
If you don't have TMSS, HP should work without any patches. It might not work with Save States - quite a few things don't. The patches I posted for HP fix the issue with running on TMSS consoles - HP pokes invalid values over the TMSS register, and the two patches change those pokes to valid values.

Offline iddod

• View Profile
    • my music on soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Use PAR code 00036C:4E71. You can also use a hexeditor to change the byte at offset $36D from $70 to $71. Doing so allows the game to run from flash.

you guys are ace, thank you very much... the action replay code worked a treat, cheers Chilly ;D
wonder if something will be included in an OS update to get round this, so anyone else can just play it without needing to stumble across this thread... in the meantime, gonna dip my toes into the murky world of hex and edit a copy of my bin...
once more, cheers, really appreciate the assistance  :)

bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

EDIT: my edited bin works a treat too, thank you... :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:06 PM by iddod »

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:18 PM »
No problem. If anyone runs across another "bad" rom, I'm usually able to figure out a patch if one doesn't already exist. :)

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 06:21 PM »
removed

Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline iddod

• View Profile
    • my music on soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25 PM »
This is a good casual game...my favorite type.

if you haven't already tried it then i recommend Dragon's Fury, it's def the better of the series...

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:38 AM »
removed

Offline Rockman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 05:28 PM »
Great game! i recommend trying it. :D