Author Topic: Gimmick Save States  (Read 4695 times)

Offline narshe

• View Profile
Gimmick Save States
« on: August 25, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Would it be possible to get save states implemented for Gimmick[JP]?

I'm on the verge of buying a Powerpak just so I can use save states with Gimmick. I'd be willing to pay $100 to get this feature in the N8. Otherwise I'll be spending that much on a Powerpak. I'd prefer to get a N8 Famicom and use it on my actual famicom too, and I'd rather buy a N8 FC than a Powerpak, even though I already have a N8 NES.

Thanks.

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
Re: Gimmick Save States
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 09:03 PM »
The PowerPak doesn't currently have a Sunsoft 5B implementation that has both savestates and expansion sound, so buying a PowerPak might not be what you want either?

TheFox's FME-7 mapper only has savestates: http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/projects/nes/powerpak/powermappers/
Loopy's 5B mapper only has expansion sound: https://home.comcast.net/~olimar/NES/powerpak_loopy.zip

The Everdrive N8 and the PowerPak should be capable of doing both at once, just nobody has written such a mapper implementation for either yet.

Offline narshe

• View Profile
Gimmick Save States
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I have a Famicom and the real Gimmick cart. I want save states to practice speedruns. Emulators have too much lag.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline pld

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:26 PM »
I have a Famicom and the real Gimmick cart. I want save states to practice speedruns. Emulators have too much lag.

I have had the same issue when I wanted to learn this game. Unfortunately there is no other way than either practice the game on real cart by playing all the stages over and over again or you could try to practice on emulator. Other possibility could be Wii + NES emulator (FCE Ultra GX) with save states but I don't know if there is any input lag. Afaik Cyghfer practiced on a Wii ;)

Offline narshe

• View Profile
Gimmick Save States
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:35 PM »
Cyghfer used a PowerPak and paid someone to do the work for the save state mapper; which is why I'm trying that approach here, before giving in and just buying the PowerPak.

I may take a look at what it takes to create a mapper and see if it's something I may be able to do.

Offline pld

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Good luck with that :)

Offline narshe

• View Profile
Gimmick Save States
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Is there any information on how to create mappers for the ED N8?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Is there any information on how to create mappers for the ED N8?
You should have some experience in verilog.
Project samples here: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index.php?dir=everdrive-n8%2Fdevelopment

Offline narshe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 06:59 PM »
The PowerPak's came back in stock and I ended up just buying one of those. Oh well. I'm able to practice Gimmick! now. There has has been a lot of progress on the audio, but no one seems to care about save states.

I also contacted the person that did the PowerPak's save state mapper, and he's not interested in doing an ED one.