Author Topic: Konami VRC7 Mapper Support Package  (Read 49684 times)

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
Re: Konami VRC7 Mapper Support Package
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2017, 11:41 PM »
Who would had thought this was even possible! Great job! My Lagrange Point game will only get better.

Are you developing a new game?

Offline SquallDark

• SeeD
  • Mmh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Hi. It is necessary that the console have an audio expansion chip to make work this mapper?, I was testing this in a PAL Frontloader NES and others clones but the only thing that takes to reproduce of the music are drums, so I guess so, it will be necessary, right?. See ya.

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2017, 12:52 AM »
Hi. It is necessary that the console have an audio expansion chip to make work this mapper?, I was testing this in a PAL Frontloader NES and others clones but the only thing that takes to reproduce of the music are drums, so I guess so, it will be necessary, right?. See ya.

NES consoles do not support expansion audio. They need to be modified.

On top of that, A PAL NES runs both with wrong speed (50Hz vs. 60Hz) and pitch (1.66MHz audio clock vs. 1.79MHz).

Hence, before spending the effort to modify your PAL NES, in order to hear a horribly wrong soundtrack, I recommend to do the same thing as I did: get an AV Famicom. ;-)

Offline SquallDark

• SeeD
  • Mmh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2017, 02:39 AM »
Hi.

NES consoles do not support expansion audio. They need to be modified.

On top of that, A PAL NES runs both with wrong speed (50Hz vs. 60Hz) and pitch (1.66MHz audio clock vs. 1.79MHz).

Hence, before spending the effort to modify your PAL NES, in order to hear a horribly wrong soundtrack, I recommend to do the same thing as I did: get an AV Famicom. ;-)

The question was because I did not know if Lagrange Point really needed expansion, I have no intention on play it in my PAL system, I know the M/Hz differences this was just for testing purpose.

And for my NTSC NOAC clones I have to see if I can get expansion audio from both 54-55 pins. Thanks for your work and answer, really appreciate. See ya.

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2017, 08:41 PM »
Great work =D  Awesome job!

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2017, 06:22 AM »
MAPROUT.BIN is missing from the latest archive. Your modified version is still necessary though, correct?

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2017, 03:13 PM »
MAPROUT.BIN is missing from the latest archive. Your modified version is still necessary though, correct?

Yes, I forgot to include it. Please use the MAPROUT.BIN from one of the archives I previously posted here.

I'm preparing a new version which includes the latest changes from the Mega Everdrive version.

Of course, the only real audience for such an updated core are developers, who actually want to do something on their own with the mapper.

Lagrange Point doesn't care about YM2413 functionality. ;-)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:28 PM by Necronomfive »

Offline steve1515

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2017, 05:25 PM »
The MAPROUT.BIN from your last package includes more modifications than just the one for VRC7.

I took a look and am helping SmokeMonster out. I found the following mods from the default MAPROUT.BIN that Krikzz provides with OS v16:

Mapper#: KrikzzRBF -> NewRBF
----------------------------------------
31: 02 -> FF (2 -> 255)
85: 16 -> 55 (22 -> 85)
137: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
138: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
139: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
141: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
147: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
168: 02 -> FF (2 -> 255)

it looks like Mapper 85 is changed correctly, but what about all that other stuff? Is that needed?
It looks like mappers 31, 137, 138, 139, 141, 147, and 168 may have been modified by mistake.

I'm not sure if all these changes should stay or not. Can you please advise?

Thanks!

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2017, 09:25 AM »
The MAPROUT.BIN from your last package includes more modifications than just the one for VRC7.

I took a look and am helping SmokeMonster out. I found the following mods from the default MAPROUT.BIN that Krikzz provides with OS v16:

Mapper#: KrikzzRBF -> NewRBF
----------------------------------------
31: 02 -> FF (2 -> 255)
85: 16 -> 55 (22 -> 85)
137: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
138: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
139: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
141: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
147: BA -> FF (186 -> 255)
168: 02 -> FF (2 -> 255)

it looks like Mapper 85 is changed correctly, but what about all that other stuff? Is that needed?
It looks like mappers 31, 137, 138, 139, 141, 147, and 168 may have been modified by mistake.

I'm not sure if all these changes should stay or not. Can you please advise?

Thanks!

Perhaps the blog entry here would help to answer your question : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2016/03/nes-powerpak-and-everdrive-n8-mapper.html
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2017, 11:13 PM »
Hello,

only the assignment for Mapper 85 needs to be changed.

Since I consider my VRC7 implementation pretty much as complete, I just have given krikzz the full source RTL code.

Now he can make a new official OS update, which includes both my Sunsoft 5B and VRC7 mappers.

Hopefully, this will end now all confusion regarding the usage of my mappers.  ;)

In reality, the core could still be further pushed towards perfection, but I guess this is only possible once somebody decides to decap the VRC7, and extract the correct instrument ROM data.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback. It was a nice challenge "cracking" the most complex Famicom / NES sound mapper.  ;)

BR,

Necronomfive

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10 PM »
hi can you even fix the bad fds sound on the edn8?  :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0EY_k40IEk

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2017, 03:16 AM »
Hello,

only the assignment for Mapper 85 needs to be changed.

Since I consider my VRC7 implementation pretty much as complete, I just have given krikzz the full source RTL code.

Now he can make a new official OS update, which includes both my Sunsoft 5B and VRC7 mappers.

Hopefully, this will end now all confusion regarding the usage of my mappers.  ;)

In reality, the core could still be further pushed towards perfection, but I guess this is only possible once somebody decides to decap the VRC7, and extract the correct instrument ROM data.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback. It was a nice challenge "cracking" the most complex Famicom / NES sound mapper.  ;)

BR,

Necronomfive
wich games support Sunsoft 5B?

Anyway i tried lagrange point and is normal that sound volume is a bit low? or is the everdrive sound low on exp sound? i have it already on HI

and that the scrolling at the borders of the screen is not "perfect" is that normal or not?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:25 AM by Arnold101 »

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2017, 05:32 PM »
gimmick sound is very high instead lagrange is low, why?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2017, 08:43 PM »
If anyone wants to compare the real cartridge to the latest mapper, watch this : https://youtu.be/vq34krVOv1Q
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/