Author Topic: Konami VRC7 Mapper Support Package  (Read 73488 times)

Offline Necronomfive

• View Profile
Re: Konami VRC7 Mapper Support Package
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2017, 12:52 AM »
If anyone wants to compare the real cartridge to the latest mapper, watch this : https://youtu.be/vq34krVOv1Q

Thanks for the video, and the nice introductory text.  :)

Interesting to hear that the real cartridge generates more background noise than the Everdrive N8.

In general, my core sounds quite similar. But if you listen closely, you can hear the differences.

But, even if somebody will provide accurate die shots of the VRC7, from which the instrument data can be perfectly retrieved, my core would still not sound 100% the same as the real chip due to the aforementioned differences in mixing and analogue sound reproduction.

Granted, if such data will be available some day, of course I will update the core accordingly.

gimmick sound is very high instead lagrange is low, why?

3 kids may individually shout much louder in a room than 9 kids, without waking their parents. In addition, the 9 kids also have a much softer and more distinguished voice than the 3 kids, which have raspy voices (probably from a cold).

Think about it. ;)

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2017, 11:50 PM »
Would be nice if all the expansion audio cores had the same volume level (high or low), so I could adjust my POT in my NES accordingly one time for all games.
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Would be nice if they had the same volume level as the real cart has, so we don't have to adjust any POT and it would work in a Famicom like intended.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2017, 03:16 PM »
Would be nice if they had the same volume level as the real cart has, so we don't have to adjust any POT and it would work in a Famicom like intended.

I'm guessing that would require a lot of work. Right now, Krikzz decided to do away with the "Hi and "Low" volume settings and just default to "Hi". With that, I took Slamy's 100% volume level VRC6 mapper and wired up my own mixing mod based on it to my NESRGB-modded front-loader NES, Here's a schematic of how I wired it to the audio output of the NESRGB:

Now that again is only based on Slamy's 100% volume VRC6 mapper. Obviously a more flexible solution would be to use a pot in place of the resistors, and also you have to mark 'sweet spots' on the dial for any given expansion audio type.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2017, 02:05 PM »
But the Famicom is the only standard reference there is, and existing game carts are already designed around it. I don't see the point in inventing a new standard for the Everdrive that is incompatible with existing expansion audio game cartridges.

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2017, 03:27 AM »
But the Famicom is the only standard reference there is, and existing game carts are already designed around it. I don't see the point in inventing a new standard for the Everdrive that is incompatible with existing expansion audio game cartridges.
I do not believe the EDN8 can be as loud as a real cartridge without modification of the hardware (similar to upgrading the SD2SNES to Rev H) or a new revision entirely.
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2017, 01:50 AM »
OK so it's a design fault of the EDN8. Could be a thing to consider for Krikzz if he ever makes a new N8.

Offline Kwyjibo

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Dead link :(

Offline gamesfromthegrave

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Dead link :(

Yeah, this has me crying like a little baby. I have a RetroUSB AVS and was so happy to see this. I need that last custom mapper and the MAPROUT.BIN. Can anyone help us out?

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2018, 07:49 AM »
Individual N8 Mapper Updates (unofficial)...
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3405.0

Go to the main Mapper thread and on the 3rd page you will find my Mediafire link will all the fixed mappers.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:51 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline nensondubois

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2019, 12:19 AM »
Now that the 100% accurate tonesets have been dumped, maybe create an update for the for the mapper to reflect the new information?

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9141&start=15

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2020, 05:09 AM »
Sorry if this is an unwarranted necro-bump for this topic. I'm just really curious whether the current VRC7 core used in the current N8 OS is still the last one that Necronomfive worked on, or if it has had any further updates. At least on the Famicom N8 Pro with the op-amp, the sound is outstandingly close to the real cartridge compared to how it was on the OG N8 the last time I checked. I don't know if this is purely due to the op-amp or something else, especially after a die shot of the chip became available.

Offline Enmet

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2020, 03:02 AM »
I'm just really curious whether the current VRC7 core used in the current N8 OS is still the last one that Necronomfive worked on, or if it has had any further updates.

It probably is, I had a look around here and on nesdev and the last update I could find was from 2017, while the patch set was dumped in 2019. The changelog for the original N8 mentions that the audio core was added, while the Pro changelog has no specific mention of the mapper.

Now that the 100% accurate tonesets have been dumped, maybe create an update for the for the mapper to reflect the new information?

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9141&start=15

Does anyone have an update on this?