Author Topic: Konami VRC7 Mapper Support Package  (Read 73561 times)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Re: Konami VRC7 Mapper Support Package
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I'm willing to either donate to a pool of money to buy it, or even buy him directly the rights to download and use the full mapper. Can anyone talk to him about this?

It could be something like $5 dollars per mapper download.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline polyh3dron

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 08:07 AM »
I've asked him - he doesn't want to share it unless he's getting some money for his time.
Did he give any sort of price range for it? I think people here would pretty gladly pitch in on a bounty for working VRC7 audio and fixed FDS audio.
That and proper-sounding VRC6 audio. That was my one biggest disappointment of the N8 I just received this weekend, the poor expansion audio support. I'd rather emulate Akumajou Densetsu than play it through this on my RGB-modded AV Famicom. It didn't take too long to realize I wouldn't be playing FDS games through it either. That distorted sound during the Doki Doki Panic intro was such a letdown.

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 06:12 PM »
That and proper-sounding VRC6 audio.
I'm pretty happy with the audio from VRC6 and Sunsoft 5b community mappers. You can tell some slight differences on each in A/B testing (there are some youtube videos that have sideb-by-side comparisons) but I wouldn't be able to pick out which is which in blind testing.

But yeah, the FDS audio can be pretty rough. I just ordered an FDSStick and FDS ram adapter to get perfect un-emulated audio on FDS games. All in <$60.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:14 PM by hunterk »

Offline mikejmoffitt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 09:30 PM »
Until full VRC7 sound emulation is in, it might be easy to throw together something that will at least play some square or sine waves of the appropriate pitch, implementing only the carrier. It would let you at least enjoy the tunes a little bit...

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 02:25 AM »
I just ordered an FDSStick and FDS ram adapter to get perfect un-emulated audio on FDS games. All in <$60.

Question for you on the FDSStick. Is that 3206 mod needed to use the thing in general (just play a disk game), or is that mod only needed if you want to do something extra with it?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 06:36 AM »
I just ordered an FDSStick and FDS ram adapter to get perfect un-emulated audio on FDS games. All in <$60.

Question for you on the FDSStick. Is that 3206 mod needed to use the thing in general (just play a disk game), or is that mod only needed if you want to do something extra with it?

That mod is only necessary if you want to copy images to disks.  If just want to run games off the FDSStick's flash, you don't need any mods.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2016, 07:29 AM »
That mod is only necessary if you want to copy images to disks.  If just want to run games off the FDSStick's flash, you don't need any mods.

Hmmm...I might have to invest in that then...or maybe even THIS?

...and sorry for derailing the thread.

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 04:53 PM »
I've been playing around with the FDSStick and have been very pleased. The audio is perfect and the menu is really cool (looks just like an FDS BIOS). It also doesn't seem to crash on my rev1 Nt. My only complaint is that the software is Windows-only :(

FDSEmu is very similar in functionality but the menu is more spartan and the software is cross-platform. I believe he just debuted a version that accepts microSD, which is nice, but it still doesn't have a case >_>

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 12:42 AM »
I've asked him - he doesn't want to share it unless he's getting some money for his time.
Did he give any sort of price range for it? I think people here would pretty gladly pitch in on a bounty for working VRC7 audio and fixed FDS audio.

Yeah, I've basically purchased all of the famicom games with expansion audio that I wanted to hear with proper audio (Lagrange Point, Gimmik!, Just Breed, Akumajou Densetsu, Esper Dream 2, Madara). It's understandably difficult to emulate such varied mappers accurately, but I don't want to deal with original FDS hardware in order to play FDS games with correct sound, particularly because if you emulate the extra FDS channels accurately, the fix will apply to all games.

If this individual wants to get paid in order to divulge his work that would lead to proper FDS audio, I'd gladly chip in some cash; let's proposition him I say.

Offline wyatt8740

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 05:59 AM »

Hmmm...I might have to invest in that then...or maybe even THIS?

...and sorry for derailing the thread.
Oh, hi there, Moffitt!
You will be very pleased with the fdsemu.

That and proper-sounding VRC6 audio. That was my one biggest disappointment of the N8 I just received this weekend, the poor expansion audio support. I'd rather emulate Akumajou Densetsu than play it through this on my RGB-modded AV Famicom. It didn't take too long to realize I wouldn't be playing FDS games through it either. That distorted sound during the Doki Doki Panic intro was such a letdown.

I got a fdsemu (new and similar to the fdsstick - a friend of mine on nesdev made it). Couldn't be happier with it for that. Still very disappointed with the N8. I mean, there's no comparison with FDS zelda. And it still has bugs that I asked about months (and in one case two years) ago.

Ah well.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 04:47 PM »
I'm surprised only a few people have submitted their own customized mappers. I thought for sure there would be more community support, especially regarding things like MMC5.

It's times like these that I wish I were more proficient in programming.

Offline wyatt8740

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 07:29 AM »
Most nesdev-ers who have the knowledge and care enough to write mappers did so on the Powerpak because it came out first. Loopy did a great mapper on the MMC5 on the powerpak (though it's still missing a couple of things, it is far more complete than the N8's).

Offline owlnonymous

• BEWARE, OWL LIVES!
    • View Profile
    • Owlnonymous Twitch Stream
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 04:39 PM »
I just played Lagrange Point using this mapper on an Analogue NT, and the expansion audio is supported. I can make a video if requested.
Watch me play games at http://twitch.tv/owlnonymous

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 06:35 PM »
That's only through the HiDefNES' built-in audio chip emulation. It doesn't work with an N8 alone.

Offline Eno

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2016, 12:31 AM »
Can anyone repost?