Author Topic: Unofficial Everdrive N8 Compatiblity List  (Read 178394 times)

Offline VanishingVision92

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial Everdrive N8 Compatiblity List
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2018, 05:04 PM »

RC7? MMC3 is broken in RC7. Use RC4-6 instead.

That did it! Thank you very much.

Offline TheCoolDave

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Has this list been updated with the new v20 OS ?

Some games work now and some others where RTS didn't work, it does now...

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2019, 07:27 PM »

No, for the reason that the v20 OS is a beta version and completly bugged/broken. I would update it if there would be a fixed, final v20 OS version released but it doesn't seem like it is going to happen, with the focus switching to Everdrive n8 pro and everything.

Offline Spoonman

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2019, 06:49 AM »

No, for the reason that the v20 OS is a beta version and completly bugged/broken. I would update it if there would be a fixed, final v20 OS version released but it doesn't seem like it is going to happen, with the focus switching to Everdrive n8 pro and everything.

Is this true? I would hope he would at least leave the N8 with a final and stable OS. Customers might lose faith in the brand.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2020, 01:13 AM »
Well, he did leave us with a working v20 firmware after all. I’ll try to get around updating the list soon.

Offline whitehouse_max

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2020, 02:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some advice please, and my apologies if this has been asked and answered many times. I've just purchased an original NES (PAL/Australia version) and some games without realising there was such an awesome product as the EverDrive N8 Pro! So, I'm looking at purchasing the N8 Pro over the coming days.

Could someone please advise where I might find a list of the compatible/incompatible games for my PAL NES?

Also, to determine what games will/won't work, is it important to first understand the mappers (for example, https://krikzz.com/store/home/57-n8-pro.html)? If so, could someone help to explain in layman's terms? Even wikipedia is too technical :)

Thanks everyone!

Cheers, Max
Australia
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:33 PM by whitehouse_max »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2020, 02:28 AM »
Mapper is a chip on the cartridge that maps in more rom memory than normally possible on a NES cartridge. The early black series of games did not use mappers and could only be up to 32kB large. Mapper is also used as a general term for the various types of cartridge boards with extra hardware on, which makes it possible to do things the NES normally can't do. Emulators and flashcartridges uses a system for mappers called the iNES mapper system (after the emulator iNES that invented it). It's extended with the NES 2.0 mapper system, but the Everdrive doesn't support that yet I think. Most roms you find on the internet will have an iNES header with the iNES mapper number and some other information like if the game uses a battery or not. The emulator Mesen allows you to view and edit the header easily. Much easier than doing it manually with a hex editor.

The mapper chart contains all the iNES mapper numbers that the EDN8 supports, although it's a bit outdated as new mapper numbers have been assigned to new boards. The easiest way to know the mapper of a game is to look for it in this database: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/ and if you can't find it there you have to google it.
For example here http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=1856 is PAL version of Little Samson. As you can see it has iNES mapper 4 which is green on the Everdrive's mapper chart, so should be supported. The PAL version of a game usually has the same mapper as the USA version so you can in most cases just go by the compatibility list for Japanese and USA games. Japanese games sometimes have another mapper, but usually not.

You can also play any NTSC game supported by the Everdrive on your PAL NES via the Everdrive, but they run a bit slower and have other changes due to differences in the PAL NES hardware (this is not because of the Everdrive or anything). Some released PAL games also behave like this in cases where the publishers never updated them for the PAL NES hardware.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:39 AM by nuu »

Offline whitehouse_max

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2020, 05:03 AM »
Mapper is a chip on the cartridge that maps in more rom memory than normally possible on a NES cartridge. The early black series of games did not use mappers and could only be up to 32kB large. Mapper is also used as a general term for the various types of cartridge boards with extra hardware on, which makes it possible to do things the NES normally can't do. Emulators and flashcartridges uses a system for mappers called the iNES mapper system (after the emulator iNES that invented it). It's extended with the NES 2.0 mapper system, but the Everdrive doesn't support that yet I think. Most roms you find on the internet will have an iNES header with the iNES mapper number and some other information like if the game uses a battery or not. The emulator Mesen allows you to view and edit the header easily. Much easier than doing it manually with a hex editor.

The mapper chart contains all the iNES mapper numbers that the EDN8 supports, although it's a bit outdated as new mapper numbers have been assigned to new boards. The easiest way to know the mapper of a game is to look for it in this database: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/ and if you can't find it there you have to google it.
For example here http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=1856 is PAL version of Little Samson. As you can see it has iNES mapper 4 which is green on the Everdrive's mapper chart, so should be supported. The PAL version of a game usually has the same mapper as the USA version so you can in most cases just go by the compatibility list for Japanese and USA games. Japanese games sometimes have another mapper, but usually not.

You can also play any NTSC game supported by the Everdrive on your PAL NES via the Everdrive, but they run a bit slower and have other changes due to differences in the PAL NES hardware (this is not because of the Everdrive or anything). Some released PAL games also behave like this in cases where the publishers never updated them for the PAL NES hardware.

Thanks very much Nuu! Really appreciate that detailed and extremely helpful information. You've answered my questions perfectly along with many subsidiary questions I had. I now know, thanks to your information, how to find if a game is compatible and what to expect when playing games on my PAL system.

Thanks again!