Author Topic: Unofficial Everdrive N8 Compatiblity List  (Read 155134 times)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
Re: Unofficial Everdrive N8 Compatiblity List
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 12:55 AM »
Dragon Ball Z: Kyoushuu! Saiyajin is listed as not working on the PDF, but it works for me.

Are you sure that you are really playing Dragon Ball Z: Kyoushuu! Saiyajin and did not load another DBZ game by accident? I have double checked, that game use mapper #159 which is not supported as of yet by the Everdrive N8 (or the Powerpak for that matter) and won't load at all.

Offline nesturchi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 05:52 AM »
hi KRIKzz

everdive N8 works with games of this page?
http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/dumping_2013.php

thanks
I will buy a everdrive soon¡¡¡¡¡ 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 07:07 AM »
hi KRIKzz

everdive N8 works with games of this page?
http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/dumping_2013.php

thanks
I will buy a everdrive soon¡¡¡¡¡ 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Some will work but most won't as pirate use weird custom mapper. But I know Krikzz implemented a few obscure pirate mapper already. Some probably won't ever work because some bootleg game can be asbig a 2mb and everdrive n8 only have 512kb of PRG and CHR.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 01:36 PM »
i was looking forward to playing that rom city rampage game when/if krikzz implements mmc5 mapper but the size is around 700kb so i guess it's out of the question. i think largest possible rom size for n8 is 512kb. i noticed action 52 was 2mb so that ones out of the question also. the only reason to implement the action 52 mapper would be for cheetahmen 2 i guess lol.
 krikzz was focusing on compatibility with proper licensed games when designing the n8 and i gather none of those are bigger than 512kb.
 that biohazard demake is also 1mb so unplayable. on a positive note krikzz said in another thread that mmc5 is hard but not impossible and he is working on updates for older carts first.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 05:41 PM »
The everdrive got 512kb for PRG and 512kb for CHR for a total of 1024kb. Now I don't know if there would be trick to load bigger games but that is usualy the maximum size a rom could be.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 03:21 AM »
i've heard that 1024kb sized roms don't work though. a newer final fantasy 3 english translation which expanded the rom size to 1mb didn't work apparently due to the size. i've never tried a game this size myself with n8 though. too busy playing eggerland mystery (hack/remake) which i finally completed this afternoon :) 

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 09:09 AM »
i've heard that 1024kb sized roms don't work though. a newer final fantasy 3 english translation which expanded the rom size to 1mb didn't work apparently due to the size. i've never tried a game this size myself with n8 though. too busy playing eggerland mystery (hack/remake) which i finally completed this afternoon :) 

The Everdrive N8 can support game that are 1024kb provided that they use 512kb for PRG and 512KB for CHR. The reason why the expanded translation of Final Fantasy 3 is not working is because FF3 doesn't use any CHR. The regular version use 512KB of PRG and the fan re-translation expand the PRG to 1024kb which can't fit in the RAM chip allocated for PRG on the Everdrive N8.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 12:56 PM »
thanks for clearing that up :) theres another translation patch i applied to a game that expanded the rom to 700 or so kb. i will try that one and see if it works. i guess some will work and some wont depending on  how they use PRG and CHR. i'm hoping the 700kb rom city rampage will work when/if mmc5 support comes along.
 is there a site that lists what larger roms use PRG/CHR or a program which can display this rom info?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 09:14 PM »
You can use bootgod's database to check most game. Otherwise you can check the header information with an header editor like the one included with NEStopia.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 01:24 AM »
thanks for the info, i just checked some now using nestopia. biohazard demake is 1024kb prg only so thats a no go but the good news is that rom city rampage is 512 prg and 256 chr woohoo.
 the biohazard game seemed a bit crappy and non english anyway i guess.

Offline kikenovic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 12:55 AM »
thanks for compiling that list. Pretty impressive.

Offline ConHuevos

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2013, 02:17 AM »
No commercial games ever used more than 512KB CHR or PRG, so they should all work provided the mappers are implemented for them.  It's pirates/translations/hacks that will have issues.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2013, 03:13 AM »
now with 4 new mappers, the list needs a update :D
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Travoltron

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 03:13 AM »
Dragon Ball Z: Kyoushuu! Saiyajin is listed as not working on the PDF, but it works for me.

Are you sure that you are really playing Dragon Ball Z: Kyoushuu! Saiyajin and did not load another DBZ game by accident? I have double checked, that game use mapper #159 which is not supported as of yet by the Everdrive N8 (or the Powerpak for that matter) and won't load at all.

I checked again last night and it still worked. Screenshot attached.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I updated the list to add the new mapper but unfortunately, there is no official game using the newly added mapper. Well, except for mapper 99 which is used in some VS System (arcade) game but those usually require patching to play on regular NES unless Krikzz added some kind of insert coin support or something like that. The other added mapper must be mapper used in some pirate games. I did add Beauty and the Beast and Earthbound Zero to the list though since peoples asked about those before. I also temporarily removed the size column as it was only showing the PRG size and not the proper PRG/CHR combined size. I will be correcting that sometime in the future but seeing as nobody seem to have ever noticed I doubt this is going to be a feature that will be missed by peoples for the time being.

As for Dragon Ball Z: Kyoushuu! Saiyajin, your rom is assigned the wrong mapper, it is supposed to be using mapper #159 but it's basically the same as mapper #16 apparently which is supported by the N8. Mapper #159 only appear to distinguish between different Bandai PCB and the kind of IC they use for saving. So playing it as mapper #16 shouldn't be an issue except maybe when it come to saving your progress since Bandai's sometime use EEPROM instead of SRAM like most games use (supposed to be the case for that DBZ game). But your game won't be saving for sure because the Battery byte is not currently set in your ROM's header. You can try to set it using Nestopia's header editor but I doubt the N8 support EEPROM saving.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:13 PM by SkinnyV »